Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Topic - Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic - Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Off Topic - Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca Reply with quote

I'm sorry this is posted here but I can't find anywhere else for it to go.

I've just bought a motorhome and will take delivery next March. As part of the deal I will get a Blaupunkt TravelPilot Lucca SatNav system and was wondering whether anyone here knows anything about it or has any experience of using this device?

Their web site http://www.blaupunkt.com/uk/7612201500_main.asp looks to give some good info but I've yet to decide whether to use both systems or sell the Blaupunkt and swap the GO between vehicles.

I'm not sure if using two types of SatNav would be confusing as I am well used to using TomTom and can setup to navigate somewhere really quickly.

Thanks for your time.

B.
primera16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the basic lucca with no mp3 to pick up cars for the dealership i work for and its the biggest waste of money ever it tells u to turn right on a dual carrigeway and tries to get u to drive up one way streets the wrong way and its not like the oneway systems woz installed last week. ive since purchased a pda and now use tomtom which has map updates and u can customise it better,
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Since posting this thread I've discovered that the unit seems very limited compared with others on the market, which is surprising considering I always thought Blaupunkt was at the cutting edge of technology??

The post code feature is only 5 characters and I've yet to see the rest of it. Fortunately it came as part of an upgrade pack so will end up on ebay no doubt Wink
grahamw3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BodgerBaz

Sorry I'm a little late to your post but I too have ended up in the same position as you. Presumably you've bought a Swift motorhome like me. I've just bought a Swift Bolero and am just getting to grips with the Blaupunkt having used Tom Tom for several years. It's been a bit flaky at times and the postcode facilty is poor for a system costing this much retail. The inbuilt traffic facility via the Blaupunkt RDS radio is useful though.

What I really do miss is the POI facilty. While POI's are inbuilt I don't see a way in which your own can be added. Sticking a 2Gb SD card in it though allows you to play your mp3 and wma music file through the radio for days.

Wondered what conclusions you had come to of if anyone on the forum knows how to add POI's.

Graham
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Yep, we got ours with our Bessacarr 560 Elegance Pack. Same motorhome, different colour scheme. I normally use a TomTom GO 710 and find it a really nice bit of kit but was surprised to find the Blaupunkt quite limited in comparison.

I'd always believed that everything Blaupunkt made was top drawer and something to aspire to but their entry into SatNav is several years behind the competition as far as I can see.

Having played around with it I found the colours far too pastel for my taste and discovered that the limitations of the 5-digit post code together with the inability to load my own POIs to be a non-starter really.

I cut the cable to the Blaupunkt Radio/DVD player as I didn't fancy ripping out the dashboard and set-up my TomTom in the same spot using the spare cradle they sent me.

I have to say though, the Blaupunkt Radio/DVD player is the best quality surround sound I've ever heard and by turning the seats around to watch TV is a cinema experience to behold.

It also plays a host of music formats including MP3 so the decision to rip out the Lucca was a no-brainer really.

kind regards

Bodger
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: How!! Reply with quote

Bodger,

I have just purchased an Ace Airstream 630EK and have been landed with the TravelPilot Lucca MP3 unit that does not take our own POI lists or 7 spot postcodes.

I normally use my TTG original which is great and I always do what 'Jane' tells me.[doesn't everyone]

Did you manage to connect your TTG to your mh and if so how!! any pics would be nice too.

Best wishes and keep them wheels turning.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phily,

Yeah, I connected the GO to my MH and it works a treat.

Not wanting to rip out the dash of my new expensive motorhome within 5 minutes of owning it, I traced back the cable from the TravelPilot to the back of the radio as far as I could then cut the cable and tucked the last visible 2" behind some fascia.

I then removed the TravelPilot and the "SatNav" pad and stuck down a plastic pad(1) in it's place and mounted the spare GO mount there(2). I then ran a spare cable(3) back from the mount to one of the cigar lighter sockets on the dash and lid most of the cable behind the panelling.

(1) The plastic pad mentioned above was left over from a screen mount kit I bought when I was using a PDA for navigation.

(2) When I bought my GO, TomTom was giving a free 'new style' mount because the original kept drooping. I never had that problem (say nothing!) so used the new one in my MH.

(3) The cable was from my box of "this might come in handy one day". As long as it has a cigar lighter at one end and the correct diameter plug at the other, almost anything will do.

The nice thing about how things have turned out it that my car and MH are both bracketed and pre-wired so all I have to do is swap the TomTom GO between vehicles without the hassle of remembering the mounts and cables.

I was VERY disappointed with the TravelPilot and was looking to sell it on eBay but then don't seem to attract much interest from what I can see of it.

Was that clear enough an explanation?

B.
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,

Crystal clear.

I contacted Blaupunkt to see if I could upgrade to their new 5.2 and they did not want to know. They told me to contact Swift, which I have done today and do not expect any good news from them.

I think that the idea that motorhome owners might want details of camp sites and road side restaurants and low bridges etc in their satnav system is quite alien to them!!!!

best wishes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: