Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi wishlist
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi wishlist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another three related to the speed camera db

1 - The ability to store compass direction with a poi so it only appears if its actually on your route (note - most gatsos work in both directions but this would be extremely useful on dual carriageway and where there are overpasses with a camera mounted underneath and a different speed limit on both)

2 - The ability to store operating hours with POI so you could look for garages that were open or have temporary speed limits such as those in school zones at certain times of the day

3 - The ability to use both mph and kph in poi and the device tells the difference (e.g. its stored in the csv file and converted to a universal format on the device. This would mean I could store both UK and French cameras at once and have them report the correct speed for the region (without writing an app to convert the csv)
wrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: nuvi310/360 wish list Reply with quote

I have just purchased a 310 and find quite good, always would like more like compass and tracks, but I think Garmin should produce an anti glare hood that can be clipped on to unit to assist viewing in strong sunlight, I have made one but it don't look to nice, come on Garmin help us spin out battery life. Idea Exclamation
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another few as I was using the gps out walking at the weekend. I had it in pedestrian mode offroad (eventually), track ahead

1 - Portrait mode for track ahead view. This is particularly useful for hill walking as if you have a contour map loaded, it's easier to choose your route if you can see from where you are to the end of your route

2 - Endpoint ahead view. To assist in the above, orient to try and show the entire route from where you are to the endpoint by plotting a straight line between the two and orienting the endpoint to the top of the screen

3- I noted in pedestrian mode, to navigate to a hilltop on either shortest or fastest mode, the mode took me by road to the other side of the hill then on foot the shortest route to the target. I'd like a navigation mode that gets me offroad as soon as possible (i.e. find the street that leads to the base of the hill (it's Arthurs Seat Edinburgh, from the Sheeps Heid pub if anyone is interested) with a shortest overall journey rather than minimising the offroad section. I should say this is the behaviour I'd expect for shortest route. For fastest route, it should consider a typical offroad speed vs onroad pedestrian speed and route accordingly. It does neither. The current mode would be excellent if you were driving there and wanted the shortest route

4 - Have the option not to constantly display the original shortest route in offroad mode (i.e. it uses magenta to display start and finish with a line between them) but to plot where you have walked and draw the line from current position to finish. It does show current position to finish but this is in addition to original vector.

5 - Dont show the finish as 'next turn' on the main display, show it as an arrival time (unless you would be kind enough to allow us a multiple waypoint route in which case it should say 'next waypoint')

6 - Allow customisation so that you can store settings as 'hillwalking' or 'in car' that have combinations of map choice, vehicle settings and navigation settings

7 - Another one not related to walking would be a 'scenic route' planning option - e.g. avoid motorways, try to keep beside seaside or in less densely roaded areas and prefer b roads. I reckon the device could have a good guess at a 'scenic' route and show the time difference

8 - Again, when you plan a route, allow you to set 'fastest', 'shortest', 'off road', 'scenic' or other route modes by showing a screen saying how far each is, how much it would cost based on petrol price and fuel consumption and how long it would take. This could also show multiple routes to avoid traffic. That way the user can quickly make an informed decision as to which way they want to go
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something hardware - I'd like to see a belt clip that holds the nuvi with aerial up for walking / navigating cities on foot. This could be like a window mount but with a clip instead of the ball on the back.

Also, a power clip would be nice that takes 4 AA batteries and gives extra power through the back

I'd also like to see that when the device is locked, it can have the option of still displaying the map rather than the 'press power to unlock' text
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another - allow the gps to turn on with the aerial down. If you are walking, I reckon you could still get a fix with aerial down and it would be good to allow an override as its far more convenient with the aerial down
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
- Make the mp3 player respect track numbers in id3 tags so that tracks play in order without having to rename them numerically
If you browse albums, and then select to Play All within an album it should honour the id3 tags, however, in any other menu it will play them alphabetically.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
1 - The ability to store compass direction with a poi so it only appears if its actually on your route (note - most gatsos work in both directions but this would be extremely useful on dual carriageway and where there are overpasses with a camera mounted underneath and a different speed limit on both)
I wonder if this will come when they start supplying the Cyclops Speed Camera DB, which I believe has this information built into it (obviously they could just strip out the data and continue as now).
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one is to have the webupdater download the latest almanac, particularly for waas/egnos. I sometimes see the egnos satellites for a few minutes but not long enough to download the almanac and get a quick lock in future (i.e. the gps knows the satellites exist and where to find them).

If the updater could update the almanac, that would be excellent
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Adjustable navigation alerts Reply with quote

I'd like to see user presets for when the warnings for turning are activated. I've noticed recently that on a number of roads, it would be useful to have these sooner such as the approach to a multi lane roundabout where you may need to change lanes. On some days, the Nuvi misbehaves and alerts me only as I am right at a junction rather than in advance (which I presume is due to poor signal?)

Ideally, these alerts should be adjustable by road type and/or feature. At a basic level, a slider for alert sooner / later would be nice to have
miles_stylus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 360 and love it however the TTS is rather too clever in that it reads out all the names f the roads, even if they are A and B roads. This makes navigating rather odd when it tells you to go down the Reading Road instead of the A33 (which is on the signs!) :o .

As such I would like to see it read out "take the 2nd exit onto the A33 (Reading Road)".

Miles
jbarca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish the nuvi 360 bluetooth was compatible with all phones, i have a nokia N73, the bluetooth connects perfectly and works the big problems is that i cant access my phones address book from the unit itself, which forces me to pick up my phone to find there number!!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've seen Nokia N70 and Garmin - although it's for the N70, not the N73, the information about the third party software (Nokia's contact app) seems to apply to all Symbian S60 phones. Having used that, it will transfer your address book from the phone to the Nuvi.

This isn't a failing of the Nuvi - more a limitation of the Nokia Smartphones, which simply don't support remote access to the phonebook.
cflint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that would make it for me is seperate volume controls for the bluetooth. I have to turn up the volume when on a call and then turn it down again for directions/poi alerts. Having seperate volumes would allow me to turn the volume up for my phone without having to have the directions voice blaring out at me.
johnwallis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:

Talking of walking, if the free contour map of the uk is loaded, the Nuvi makes an amazing walking gps.

new nuvi 360... lots of catching up to do...

Question free contour map of the uk??

Do you have a source or a link please.

Thanks,
John
Timelord2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwerty layout
remember the last entries for town etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: