Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lookup a road in SmartST2005, please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lookup a road in SmartST2005, please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lookup a road in SmartST2005, please? Reply with quote

I'm close to buying SmartST2005 software and pan European maps but I'd love to know how far the maps have improved etc since my SmartST Professional Version 1.91.0045 SP2 running on my iPaq H3970 (Pocket PC 2002) since January 2003.

Could anyone tell me if 'Route des Arcades' is now shown in the village of Paradou in the South of France?

Many thanks in advance :-)

Brian.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Sorry for delay in seeing your request, but have been working interstate for past weeks.

Have looked at my maps on SmartST v3 and yes, the "Route des Arcades" is shown being SW of Paradou. Although I had a poblem in searching for it via destination input, I did locate it using PC and comparing PDA areas (most probably can find it with direct entry into Navman, but I have one hell of a problem finding any French road in a hurry. My problem not theirs.).

Anyway if v3 has road then any subsequent maps should include the same.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis,

Many thanks for that! There's a little house on that road that's a bit special to us and it would be nice to be able to click on that rather than a nearby junction.

Now, with that knowledge I have to resist the urge to order the 2005 software/maps immediately. If there's a chance the 2006 version is just over the horizon then I must wait - especially as I'm buying the new versions of Abobe Elements and Photoshop today ;-)

It's amazing how it takes someone in Adelaide to come up with the answer concerning an obscure part of rural France - ain't fora wonderful!

Thanks again.

Brian.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart ST 2006 is supposed to be released this month for the iCN ranges. I have no idea what they are doing with the PDA software. I would certainly ask Navman before buying 2005.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that: I wrote a couple of weeks ago and asked when/if the 2006 maps/software might be released for Pocket PCs. They replied that the 2005 version was the latest. I wrote back a couple of times (in a light hearted way) for clarification about the word 'latest' as since there was obviously nothing more recent than the 2005 version mentioned on their web site, perhaps the individual involved at Navman (who at no time named him/herself) was trying to say 'last'. Later that day I received a message complaining that the individual involved had answered 200 emails that day but yes they did mean last and there would not be any more releases for the Pocket PC.

The following day a kind individual wrote here that perhaps I should look further into the S10. I did and as that did seem to be of interest I wrote to Navman and asked about its suitability in my particular case. I have received no reply - perhaps I'll try again in a few weeks or so when/if the situation regarding 2006 becomes more obvious.

The clear impression is that Navman doesn't really care about sales. The products might be good but the inescapable impression is that customers are not needed, certainly not those who want to ask simple questions about suitability.

If anyone cares enough (Navman?) I will happily post the contents of the above exchanges here.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianT

I rang Navman (Australia) today, to see if I could get a fix on the next release of software / maps.

Well perhaps now I am getting closer to what may be / may be not happening (at least in Aust.). I was informed that there definitely will not be any more software releases to upgrade to SmartST 2006 (SmartST 2005 is the latest and the last), but there will definitely be new maps (2006) released.

When questioned on possible release date for these maps, (bearing in mind that 3 weeks ago an email from them mentioned October), I am now informed that they have been told that the possible (I note POSSIBLE) release date will be November (I wouldn't hold my breathe from the way the conversation went).

So it appears that map upgrades WILL be released but no softwares. I suppose what this infers to myself, is that I will purchase the SmartST 2005 software from the Navman on-line store (UK) € 45.00 and await the map releases, whenever that may be.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGreen wrote:
...the possible (I note POSSIBLE) release date will be November ... I will purchase the SmartST 2005 software from the Navman on-line store (UK) € 45.00 and await the map releases, whenever that may be.

Many thanks for that Denis. This will simplify Christmas gift selection tremendously! OK, I will have to do the ordering, credit card number provision etc but in late December, hopefully, the little box (containing both the 2005 software and the 2006 maps) will arrive just in time to be wrapped, labeled and mislaid under the tree :-)

Later, having got all that installed no doubt we will have the mother of all snow storms not just preventing travel in any direction but so fierce that even the GPS signal will be reduced to useless. ;-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: