Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom taking me wrong way!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom taking me wrong way!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longy007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: tomtom taking me wrong way!!! Reply with quote

Hi all im new to this forum, and female so please excuse me if im asking something already asked.

i have the tomtom 5 and so far it has taken me down a one way street the wrong way which by the way turned out to be a bus route only, it took me into a cul-de-sac and was telling me to turn right which was inpossible as there was no right turn.

Has anyone else had any problems similar, and do you think i should get in touch with tomtom over these issues.

Kind Regards Tracey

Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum
There will always be map errors - when using GPS you must look at the road signs to ensure you are not going anywhere that is not permitted. Here in my home town of Swansea, TT5 always tried to make me take an illegal right turn - it has only just been corrected in the latest TT6.
TomTom buy the maps from TeleAtlas, to whom you should report any errors, then future editions might be corrected. You can contact TeleAtlas here
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom taking me wrong way!!! Reply with quote

longy007 wrote:
Hi all im new to this forum, and female so please excuse me if im asking something already asked.

i have the tomtom 5 and so far it has taken me down a one way street the wrong way which by the way turned out to be a bus route only, it took me into a cul-de-sac and was telling me to turn right which was inpossible as there was no right turn.

Has anyone else had any problems similar, and do you think i should get in touch with tomtom over these issues.

Kind Regards Tracey

[/b]

Use it as an Aid to Navigation

You as the driver have the final say in which way you go.

What did you navigate with before???, Paper Maps You had to decide then which way to go.

Good luck
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom taking me wrong way!!! Reply with quote

longy007 wrote:

Welcome

Yes, I think we have all seen problems such as these from time to time. Here's what the sat nav makes won't tell you:

The maps aren't 100% perfect, the roads change quite often and they get out of date. It's a mammouth task to keep up to date with all the road changes and the maps you got when you brought the unit are are probably 2 years out of date.

You have to get used to it telling you to do something illegal (u-turn on a dual carriage way, turn where it's prohibited, wrong way down a one way street, drive off a cliff etc) and learn when to ignore it. It will recalculate a new route pretty quickly and get you back on track.

Also, be careful that you take the correct turn. It's quite common for new users to hear the instruction "Turn left in 400 yards" and then take the next left turn which is about 100 yards away and takes them into a cul de sac or no-entry road. Keep a careful eye on the distance to next turn and try to learn how far 100, 200, 300, 400 yards is.

The best thing is that you can scream abuse at your sat nav and it doesn't get offended. Wink

Good luck!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom taking me wrong way!!! Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
The best thing is that you can scream abuse at your sat nav and it doesn't get offended. Wink
It just sulks sometime,Laughing usually when trying to get it connected to HOME.8O

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: