Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Probably easy questions....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Probably easy questions....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TankAbbot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Probably easy questions.... Reply with quote

1. How do I take my garmin etrex apart?

2. Where to I go to buy a new case for my etrex legend? I dropped mine and it cracked. Well I say drop, but it fell off my bike when I was riding a dirt trail.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Probably easy questions.... Reply with quote

TankAbbot wrote:

8O

Email Garmin and ask them about it. I have heard that have a service centre in the UK and they do a system whereby they will do repairs for a fixed price. I don't know if they will do a fix at a reasonable price, you might be better off buying a new GPS. Crying or Very sad

When you have done that, get a U-Bolt RAM mount for your bike, I use one on my motorbike and it is very good and keeping my GPS-V from falling off. Happy

They are about £25 - I got mine from GPS Warehouse, I guess most other suppliers have them.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Probably easy questions.... Reply with quote

TankAbbot wrote:

Call Garmin on 01794 519944, and ask Garmin whether it can be repaired and at what price. Several people in the forums here have had a unit that has developed a fault, or they have dropped it and whether it was in or out of warranty, Garmin have been known to be very good and replace with a brand new unit, or to fix free of charge.

They aren't legally obligated to do so out of warranty, but Garmin's Technical Support is world class, and many companies should really take a look at Garmin on how well they treat their customers!
TankAbbot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Smile The unit works perfectly, I would just like to change the shell out due to the fact that I ride in the rain a lot and dont want to ruin it.

I would like to avoid (due to warranty expiration) sending it back to Garmin. It cant be too hard to take it apart, I just would rather not wing it. So if anyone knows a website out there that details how to take the shell off it would be greatly appreciated.
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only concur with Dave. My Etrex sits on the handlebars of a trailbike and developed a fault with the screen display, it was out of warranty and with the abuse it gets I was keen to open it up myself and check for loose connections etc.
I too searched the web for anyone that may have opened one up but came up short. There are no obvious screws and I guess it is press clipped together, possibly even glued as it has to maintain that 30 mins under 3 feet of water promise.
So I surrended and sent it meekly back to Garmin UK at Romsey. They sent a new one straight back without any charge or question (possibly a re-con one, but I can't tell so what the hell) so I'm a happy bunny. Give 'em a try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: