Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2GB SD card with
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2GB SD card with

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: 2GB SD card with Reply with quote

I have an iPaq 3970 running Pocket PC 2002. I bought SmartST Professional Version 1.91.0045 SP2 (English) in January 2003 and have been very happy with it. I keep all the maps of current interest on my 256MB SD card so that even when I'm not carrying the Navman jacket I still have an excellent resource.

Just recently I got round to using the iPaq for playing MP3 files but rapidly run out of space on the SD card. I tried using my new 2GB SD card (normally used in a camera) and I copied all the files from the original 256MB SD card onto the 2GB card. During a short test this morning everything appeared to work just fine but before buying another 2GB card (probably another Sandisk Ultra II) for the iPaq, I'd like to know if I've overlooked anything.. Would, say, a much larger card create problems when used over longer periods? Has anybody any negative experience in this area or should I just stop being paranoid and get on with it! :-)

Many thanks in advance for any advice here.

Brian near Geneva.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Whilst I haven't upgraded to the 2GB SD cards at this stage (too damn expensive at present), I have been using a 1GB SD for the past year.

Obviously, all the European maps don't fit onto the 1GB SD, but I have loaded roughly 60% France, Belgium, Netherlands, 50% Germany, Luxemburg and Switzerland. Mainly just the areas that have been my main travels in past 12 months.

Initially, I felt as with all maps "turned on" that the system (PiN 300) seems to be a little sluggish than what I had previously dealt with, with my 512MB SD's etc. (This I never put to the test, just was my gut feeling). What I have done since that "feeling" is to just "turn off" the map areas that I know I won't be moving through and I feel very comfortable and happy with my present setup.

I suppose as with the 1GB SD and with the now 2GB SD's is to choose one that has a good speed rating. I paid the little extra and purchased a 1GB x45 SD. At that time it was about the fastest available (well for a realistic cost, that is).

Another good use for the SD now is that I store all "MYPOI" data files there, so that I am keeping as much memory free on the PiN 300 unit itself. I found that just as rewarding as havingthe larger collection of maps in itself. (Perhaps I just have too many personal POI's loaded!!)

Perhaps after my next trip to Europe in May I may look at upgrading to 2GB SD's.

Best Regards,
Denis Green
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Denis,

For what it's worth I wrote to the Navman Technical Support and asked:

1) Are there any problems associated with large SD cards? I have tried a 2GB SD card with my iPaq and it SEEMS to work OK but I would appreciate your confirmation that there is no limitation in this area.

2) For the version I am currently using there is a limitation on the amount of memory that can be taken up by maps. Does that limitation still exist in SmartST 2005 or is one now only limited by the size of the memory card?

the reply was:

1. The biggest card you can use is a 512 mb card.

2. The total map size on the card should be no more then 480mb.

- - - -

I'm OK with 2) but 1) leaves me totally confused and frustrated Sad
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an email to the SD organisation (can't find the email address now - or web site) about 9 months ago asking why different manufacturers state different sd card sizes to work with their equipment.

The SD org. said that if the manufacturers FULLY complied with the sd card specs then you would be able to use any card size. They said it was related to the size of cache memory allocation that the unit uses as to what size of card could be used, but if the unit has only a small cache then it should still work but be very slow.

They said that I would need to try each card size to see if there was any pause, when a pause was detected then you have exceeded the units cache.

I have a couple of MP4 players with 2.5" TFT screens, both state that 1GB is max sd card size, but i use both with 2GB cards and they work fine.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that :-)

I just got a reply from Navman technical support - here's what they wrote:

"The 1GB or 2GB can work, but keep in mind that we would not advice to use cards bigger than 1Gb, because it can be that they won`t work.

We support upto 512mb and know that some 1GB/2GB cards will work if they are from good quality, have a high read - write speed and from a decent brand. (we use Sandisk or Kingston)

You will see that a sd card will not work when the unit start freezing, not reading the maps anymore or start to work slower."

Not quite the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response I was hoping for but I think I'll risk using a 2GB card now they're dropping in price .... If I have problems I'll post something to that effect here.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a brand called A-Data that can now be found on eBay for about £45 - 20.78 SF

Moan-moan, I paid about £68 last year for each of them Crying or Very sad

2Gb SD Card A-Data 50x speed

I've also tried them in my Mio168 PDA using TomTom5 and Navigon5 and again they both worked fine.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Sandisk Ultra II again today and it seemed just fine for navigating me around. It's meant to be reasonably fast so I think I'll just carry on with it which will give me room for a lot of material for other applications - and I used to think my 256MB card was really something! :-)

Mind you, the 16k IBM 360/30 I started programming with in the 60s was also really something in it's day!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first dabble into computers was with a Sinclair ZX80

and the specs:

3.25 MHz NEC 780-C CPU (copy of Zilog Z80A CPU)
4K ROM, 1K RAM (externally expandable to 16K) which I did buy
Display: 24 lines x 32 character text display Monochrome only
Sound: None
I/O: Z80 bus, 250 baud cassette interface, RF television out
Storage: External cassette recorder

And it's still in the loft, think I may eBay it.
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IBM IBM 360/30 would need a large loft and an impressive crane to get it up there! It sat in a large room with an enormous window right opposite the Coliseum in St Martin's Lane and such were our Assembler coding skills that sometimes, after a full day's work, we often caught sight of the chattering classes making their way into the Coliseum in the early evening and dispersing much later. The compensation was a few pints at around 5:00 am in one of the pubs near Covent Garden - provided one could look like a vegetable person which was usually how we felt by that time ;-)
ratrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just brought a 4gb card for my camera and have try on my navman 520 but have found it works very slow. This i belive is cause by me as i have all the u.k maps on it as well as the tomtom uk maps.And have got a movie on it with a few small movies. But to the 2 gb card it works a lot better
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, ratrace, thanks for that! :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: