Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony announce 2 new PND SatNav Systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony announce 2 new PND SatNav Systems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Sony announce 2 new PND SatNav Systems Reply with quote

Earlier this month Sony announced two new SatNav systems. The PNDs feature Sony's "Position Plus" technology which helps maintain the car's position when the GPS signal is lost. If this works well then it will be a boon in cities like Basle or Boston where there are long tunnels with intersections in them.

Both devices have a 4.3 inch wide screen display and handsfree bluetooth intergration.

The flagship device, NV-U81T, has a 4Gb hard disk complete with full European mapping. The NV-U80 has 512Mb internal memory, with the maps of Europe provided on a DVD. Traffic information is standard on the NV-U81T and available as an optional extra on the NV-U80. The TMC Traffic information will be subject to a once off license in the UK and France.

Both devices use mapping from Navteq.

We are awaiting pricing details for these new models.

Sony Press Release wrote:
September 1st 2006

nav-u SETS NEW STANDARDS FOR SAFER, SURER ROUTE GUIDANCE

o High-accuracy positioning system “POSITION plus”
o Large 4.3-inch widescreen display
o Easy to use interface with “Gesture Command” and large icons
o Dynamic Route Information
o BluetoothTM Hands-free calling

Two new nav-u personal navigation devices from Sony deliver a surer, safer driving experience for road users.

For the first time ever, the NV-U81T and NV-U80 feature Sony “Position plus” technology. This unique system provides accurate positioning and route information when GPS signals are compromised – such as beneath a tunnel or bridge, between tall buildings or trees with dense foliage. An acceleration sensor and a pressure sensor interpret vehicle motion to provide more stable, reliable positioning information, even when GPS signals are degraded or briefly unavailable.

This “Position plus” system eliminates the annoying distraction of “frozen” screens when GPS information is temporarily lost. It also reduces the risk of incorrect position and route information being displayed – a major cause of driver frustration that can compromise safety at the wheel.

The unit’s colourful, informative user interface takes full advantage of the 4.3-inch widescreen display. Operation is positive and fuss-free thanks to large, easy to use buttons and icons to enter destination information and select other functions. Frequently-used commands like “take me home” or “find the nearest fuel station” can be made with a quick, simple stroke of a finger on the large touch screen. This unique ‘Gesture Command’ improves driver safety and concentration by reducing the need for fiddly option selection or scrolling through on-screen menus. For safer calling while on the road, it can also dial a hands-free call to your home number on a Bluetooth equipped mobile phone with a single gesture.

With the Bluetooth Hands-free calling you can also call any number in the phonebook of your Bluetooth equipped mobile phone or call a new number using the intuitive keyboard.

For a clearer view of selected routes, Dynamic Route Information presents a unique ‘abstract’ view [see below] of route, fuel stations, other point of interest and traffic information. This abstract display sits alongside the standard map view, giving drivers an unambiguous indication of “what’s coming up next.”

A new Sony-developed mount system features a high-adhesion flexible gel. This provides secure fastening to a windscreen or dashboard, even at low temperatures where other mount systems can lose their grip.

The NV-U81T stores a full European map (37 countries) on its high-capacity 4GB hard disk drive that is protected against bumps strong shocks and vibrations by Sony’s HDD protection technology. The NV-U80 stores a country-specific map in its embedded 512MB memory. Other maps can be uploaded via the supplied European map DVD-ROM.

The NV-U81T also supports Traffic Message Channel information (optional on NV-U80)*

The NV-U81T and NV-U80 will be available throughout Europe from November 2006.

*France and UK: TMC commercial licence available through nav-u web site.

Last edited by MikeB on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of the new Nav-U devices

algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. On reading about this new sony satnav (I am a great lover of sony products) I was quite interested until I noticed the NV-U80 has a512
internal memory. Does this mean that there is no external card at all ?
Algy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

algypan wrote:
Hi Mike. On reading about this new sony satnav (I am a great lover of sony products) I was quite interested until I noticed the NV-U80 has a512
internal memory. Does this mean that there is no external card at all ?
Algy

I too am a big Sony fan, I have 2 sony laptops, and my Home Theatre system is sony. At the moment all I have to go on is the press releases from Sony, but I am in contact with them and hope to hear more soon. Even better will be to get a review sample...
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this online regarding these
Dont know if the price is any good

Will let you decide

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=10&type=0&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

Let's Be Safe Out There
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices are for the old models. The new ones are not due in the shops for a few weeks now.
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Those prices are for the old models. The new ones are not due in the shops for a few weeks now.

Heheh Suppose I should have read the article more throughly.
Though as I have my tom toms that I am more than happy with I dont really need another. OPPS Sorry!

Let's Be Safe Out There
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to unbeatable.co.uk they are £419 and £349...

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/news/Sony-launch-NV-U81T-and-NV-U80-satellite-navigation/281566.html
Home 2.7.3.1894
Mojo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the TMC unit built into the U81T device? I'm quite intersted in it. Hope the maps inc. Eastern Europe as well.
Home 2.7.3.1894
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Will it display the MPH? Reply with quote

I have noticed from the few screen shots available that it does nto display the current speed. I was wondering if anyone knows, based on the current Sony Sat Navs if this is an option?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U50/70 do display current speed, yes.
nickmon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info! Reply with quote

Dippy wrote:
The U50/70 do display current speed, yes.

Thanks for the info, I hope the new units have the same function. Having the current speed displated is an advantage becuase it is more accurate than the speedometer and keeps more infomation in one place.

Does anyone know what the likely Safetry Camera data is going to be on these systems?
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rely on the speed displayed by these units as they are not reliable, I have a U50 which is very good, however, for a variety of technical reasons their recorded speed is generally 10% below actual.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite the converse - your speedo is ten percent OVER actual. GPS is much more accurate.
Benny5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that will teach me not to rely on my car speedo, rather my Sat Nav.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: