Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 firmware 3.20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 firmware 3.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive gone back to 2.50 for now until the new version has a full seal of approval Smile
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London_i3_Newbie wrote:
Ive gone back to 2.50 for now until the new version has a full seal of approval Smile

I went back to 2.7 after I tried 3.1 and had the same problems as every seems to be having with 3.2. Fine in nav mode but crap in map view.

Can't see Garmin ever sorting this one out, I'd love to know who is giving clearance for these to be released without em being checked, what a complete joke they are.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one with no problems this time? So far in both Nav and Map mode everything seems spot on... I'm not complaining mind you!!!
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf,

Does your unit have a transflash?

Thanks.

Mussey1.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mussey1 wrote:
trevf,

Thanks.

Mussey1.

and trevf, what version map and audio software are you running???
Do you know whether your maps are on the card or in the internal memory. Thanks.......................................................
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
mussey1 wrote:
trevf,

Thanks.

Mussey1.

and trevf, what version map and audio software are you running???
Do you know whether your maps are on the card or in the internal memory. Thanks.......................................................
It has Transflash... Yes. But all i3s do (to my knowledge anyway). I think the question you wanted to ask is are my maps stored in the unit or on Transflash. They are on the unit. I have a separate card with my POIs on.
I have V8 maps and Audio 2.6 (2.5 until yesterday) both audio versions worked fine with 3.2. I do have to say though that 3.1 ran fine on this unit as well.
I do have 2 units. the other one I have given to my Mum (aww sweet), this is an older style unit I have put 3.2 on it and have not heard anything negative back.
Hope this helps.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might some people be using standard navigation and others using WAAS? would this make a difference to screen lags freezing etc etc.

Any thoughts...
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

London_i3_Newbie wrote:
might some people be using standard navigation and others using WAAS? would this make a difference to screen lags freezing etc etc.

Any thoughts...
I'm using WAAS.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be interesting to see the programming code that garmin are using, whether it is well thought out coding that is well equipped for future changes or if they are using the 'tack bits on willy nilly' approach and creating a nightmare Confused
typan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok going back to 2.7 and staying there ! After updating and in map mode the dam thing locked up but still showed my mph and gatso alerts also in nav mode i found the prompts far too early and did do a recalculation at one point for no reason.
Mine has maps on internal memory and poi's on card.
Going back to 2.7 has left my audio version as 2.30 where befor i updated it was 2.50.
Will try it later, hope it hasn't messed up anything.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a screen lockup with v3.20, so went back to v2.70 and kept audio v2.5 and my poi's (sorry mafts poi's) but lost all my favorites....
Davida2b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: v3.20 Reply with quote

Hi , this software is ( or appears to be ) ok !
Have just returned from Mid Wales on V 2.70 with no real problems , apart from map a little slow and 2 black vertical lines appeared for a few moments .

David
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive the i3's with built in memory work better than the transflash models. It appears that trevf has a more modern i3 and has no problems.

I have discovered the same.

Anyone know if all i3's have internal memory and if so is is possible to copy the map data from the transflash onto the i3 internal memory.

I also believe that modern micro SD cards allow a faster transfer rate than the transflash, perhaps if the data could be transferred to one of these it may also help the situation.

Mussey1
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Seems good for me Reply with quote

Upgraded to 3.2 this morning, tried it on a 20 mile journey and it seems a lot better. I have the original version - about a year old now but he updated V8 maps, it came with 7.

Version 3.1 wasn't perfect, but in track up mode with map detail in its 2nd from top rating (Cant remember the name now) it was quite usable. I live near durham city and its ok there, but when i go to washington and newcastle, sunderland, with more complex road structures on screen it would struggle. (Yes i think there is some relevance in stating your location)

I think it basically couldnt cope with the re-draw too well, due to increased complexity.

Now with the 3.2 it seems much better, it can cope with max detail on the maps in track up mode and 3d mode is ok too, though not as fast as track up.

No lock ups so far, but you never know. 3.1 would lock up occasionally on navigating, but since may that is still probably in single figures and i drive most days with the garmin on.

I do have all the POI's loaded from MaFt and an old free version of speed cams, i must have got something wrong loading them though as absolutely every entry resulted in a proximity warning - grrr - but never got round to fixing it - the old version showed icons for everything too - but i guess thats linked to proximity.

Now no prox warnings (though hopefully they will be there for speed cams but there are no speed cams in county durham whooppeee to test this out on).

Navigation is much improved, it now takes me home the way I would choose to go, as i probably drive faster on the smaller roads than it expects.

In general it seems much improved and FOR ME is perfect. I do think there are lots of different circumstances that can cause problems though.

I used to use an iPAQ with tom tom, as did about half a dozen friends and we all bought the same charger / gps mouse off ebay (and i mean identical) - we experienced similar problems with tracking moving but they didnt behave the same - even following in convoy one could be off the road a quarter mile to the left while another is dead accurate - small firmware changes make big differences and i suspect this is where Garmin is on a hiding to nothing.

My opinion, stick with the firmware that came with the device and you will probably be fine, otherwise your taking a little risk, though you can always downgrade.

Im sad and always have to have the latest everything, and its probably my downfall.

On another note, someone earlier wondered about how they code it, patches or updates. I write software as part of my job, Java and Unix C shell, php etc and a little C++ and although i dont know what or how this is written I would think it is in C++ or similar.

The problems they are battling is storage and executable memory and we dont know how much they have, or even if its shared, but chances are it will be tight - has any one compared the sizes of the upgrade downloads ?

Anyway, i thought the problems were probably memory related, and this isnt something they can upgrade. If they write the initial firmware to fit into 3mb and they have a further 3mb left over for execution, tmp files, local caching of map and navigation data etc, and store the maps, favorites, pois on the card, then there isnt much room for improvement, small additions, which means they would be re-writing classes rather than patching them.

The problems modifying this sort of software is timing and compatability, couple that to the slight variances in firmware and you have a very complex problem. That said, im not defending Garmin. If my software fails and causes problems im in big trouble and I get complaints by the bucketload, so i spend 25% of the development thinking planing and coding, 50% testing and re-testing under varying conditions and the last 25% correcting and tidying again.

Garmin probably struggle because it might work fine in their area, in their vehicles, but what if one of our cars has a different type of windscreen, or a satelite coverage that is a bit unusual, and the unit takes longer to do certain calculations, or the map area is particularly complex, something fails.

Sadly we are on bargain basement hardware here - nothing wrong with that and im not being critical there - but bargain basement hardware means its the barest amount of hardware - be that memory and or processing power - that they can get away with to do the job, and it probably works on the percentages - 95% of customers happy as it works 95% of the time is good enough. If you need more than that you need more hardware that means more cost and something like a Nuvi.

Ive rambled on a lot there, but might provoke some thought or discussion, sorry if you fell asleep half way thru ;-)

Stephen
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steveapp,

Thank you for your excellent explanation of how the Garmin i3 brain works.

Like you I think it is great value for money and the firmware developers have done a good job and deserve congratulating.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: