Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Half Way To Paradise!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Half Way To Paradise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Half Way To Paradise! Reply with quote

Hi. I recently posted about upgrading the card on my TT One (5.450), and following your kind advice I bought a Sandisk 250mb and copied from the original. Everything worked fine. I decided to upgrade because I want to d/l the speed cam zip file(manually) without having to delete any data. I've read the instructions about installing the files on this site, but I cant seem to find any info regarding its size, but I did notice in the demo that some of them are very large - 50mb+ I think for all the Gatso's!

I want to install all the Gatso/Redlight & Specs cams (including all speed ratings) as a minimum, but if poss, all catergories. Could anyone inform me what size the file would be, and any further tips/precautions to make the process go as smooth as possible...I am paranoid I'll cock it up!

Thanks again all.

Phil Newbie.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire lot in speed zoned format (which contains the most icons, and is therefore the largest in terms of file size) is just under 0,5MB - the files are small.
Simply download to the PC, unzip the download and copy the unzipped files to the memory card of your device, the POI files need to be placed into the Map folder on the card - Mike
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Paradise Is Very Nice! Reply with quote

Hi Mike. just to let you know that I have successfully copied the cam files to my TT One. I ran through a route in demo mode, and it picked up them all! I've set it up for 100yds, but I still haven't made my mind up about which alert I should use - although "cuckoo" sounds appropiate enough to me!

Thanks again Mike & all at Pgpsw for your help & support. You've made a satnav beginner very chuffed. I'm made up.

Best Wishes,
ttfn,
Phil.
L'pool.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear you are up and running but I would have a serious think about your settings for distance, 100 yards is nothing in terms of a mobile trap (aprox 3 seconds in real terms at 70 miles per hour), I tend to use nearer 1100 Yards for the higher speed cameras. The actual settings are a personal thing but I want at least a few second to consider the camera.
As for which sound to use, could I sugest you have a read of THIS page, it gives you more information than a beep or bell -
Please make sure you back-up your memory card to the PC BEFORE you do anything like this, but in the long run it really is worth it - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Half Way To Paradise! Reply with quote

PDY wrote:
... but I did notice in the demo that some of them are very large - 50mb+ I think for all the Gatso's! ...
Not clear about what you mean by demo?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
PDY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for that mike. I'll bump up the alert to the distance you suggest, and I will take a look at that link for alternatives. Actually, I had a problem with it today, nothing happened when I tried to switch it on, so I pressed the reset button, and still it wouldn't repond. I was considering taking it back, but did a search, and found a post that suggested holding in the reset button for at least 10 secs - which I did, it worked, and it's been fine since - where does it say that in the instructions?! Actually, before I joined this site I rang TT's "helpline", and after eventually getting through, was "greeted" by a rude, unhelpful and unsympathetic "advisor", who just took me round in circles, so I told him I was going to email the company to complain about my treatment - he just laughed, so I slammed the phone down on him. I looked on their website for an email address, and found nothing - no wonder he was laughing! I've since tried all the usual suspects IE. Info, support, admin, sales, etc @tomtom.com, but just receive the same standard reply stating that this email address does not offer help & support, and just points me to their homepage.
The TT One is a great product, from a well respected company, but I am shocked & appauled at their lamentable support, coupled to the fact I cant even tell them so, because they don't read their email!

Sorry for the rant, but I really was at the point of returning my TT, and asking for my money back. I realise that there are no doubt some people who have received positive feedback from TT, but from the posts I've read regarding their Customer services, every one seemed to mirror my experience.
Thank you PGPS, you guys really do put TT.con to shame.
Best Wishes,
Phil.
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I am glad to hear you are up and running but I would have a serious think about your settings for distance, 100 yards is nothing in terms of a mobile trap (aprox 3 seconds in real terms at 70 miles per hour), I tend to use nearer 1100 Yards for the higher speed cameras. The actual settings are a personal thing but I want at least a few second to consider the camera.
As for which sound to use, could I sugest you have a read of THIS page, it gives you more information than a beep or bell -
Please make sure you back-up your memory card to the PC BEFORE you do anything like this, but in the long run it really is worth it - Mike

Upon what Mike has recommended I would try Rays site for some voice skins

http://www.tomtomsatnav.info

Sorry still cant work out how to do hot links yet.

Make sure you change the data chck file too

But please make sure you do a FULL backup before you do something

Too many people come on and ahem make mistakes

Though I dont mind helping with what little knowledge I have got[

Let's Be Safe Out There

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: