Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Quest 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Quest 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorkiebarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin Quest 2 Reply with quote

I was very impressed with the performance of a Garmin Quest purchased in summer 2005 and replaced it with the new Quest 2 in May 2006. This unit exhibited all of the problems listed below and locked up occasionally; it was returned to Garmin under warranty and a new one received. Its performance was no better.

Satellite reception occasionally lost when a wide clear view of the sky was available.
If a scattering of trees or buildings were present at one side of the road, the position marker moved off road resulting in recalculation.
Recalculation slow.
Turn instructions late.
Screen redraw slow and failed to keep place with voice instructions when negotiating a number of closely spaced turns.
Above 50mph the screen redraw was often incomplete, leaving blank areas.
Proximity alerts for custom points of interest (speed cameras) occasionally missing.

The latest Firmware was loaded and a Master Reset performed with no noticeable improvement in performance. I believe the additional features and different mapping used on the Quest 2 make it too slow to be useful as a navigation device.

The Quest 2 was returned to Global Positioning Systems (YooNoo Ltd) with a letter of explanation and a full refund obtained. I am pleased with the service received from YooNoo Ltd and have purchased a standard Quest from them to use until the Garmin Zumo is available in the UK.
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of Deja vu going on here I think.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8s

I can the points you make, but I think the Quest 2 is not that bad it might seem. IMHO this device was intentionally made for a dual (at least) use and not for the sole purpose of road use on a motorized device.

This said, it makes good company while on a hiking trip, I can use it while walking through a unknown city and finding my way without buying a map every time. Further on I didn't have any problems using it on the road, given you turn of the automatic recalculation. Anyway, how often you really wanted your device to re-calculate your route anyway? For the calcualtion speed, I've set it to "fast" (second fastest option) without any problems.

With the newest fw loaded I can't complain much about the speed. Voice announcements are made early enough. There are some rare cases where the display doesn't keep up with the updates, but generally speaking it's ok.
(BTW: I wrote a message about a couple of weeks ago about the announcement and how early it's on. Eighter the new firmware changed something or it does learn your preferences after you've pressed the speaker button a few times at that location you'd like to hear the announcement)

Anyway: For me, it's still a good device fulfilling multiple purposes. I don't like the idea of not having all the mapping data on the device that the Quest 2 has!

Perhaps to note: I have an external magnetic antenna on my car. Have to anyway, because the windscreen is coated, but I'd recommend it to others as well, it makes a difference!
Quest 2 Installation in my Scenic 2

BeatO
yamkwak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkie do what I did get rid of it, get your money back and either go back to Q1 or go to TT Rider. I bought a Rider, vast improvement. The Q2 is a complete let down, I know it left me stuck in the Italian Alps!!!!!!!! Good luck
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yorkie do what I did get rid of it, get your money back and either go back to Q1 or go to TT Rider. I bought a Rider, vast improvement. The Q2 is a complete let down, I know it left me stuck in the Italian Alps!!!!!!!! Good luck

I'll second that. See my previous posts regarding the Q2. The Rider looks good too but I sold my Q2 and went back to the Q1 and think it's superb. Now I have one and so does my son, both on our motorbikes.

Quote:
This said, it makes good company while on a hiking trip

Just don't fall down a mountain cos it will never keep up!!
nomadman2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more, I stuck with my Quest2 for 1 day and returned it. Such a let down. The Quest1 was so much better. Upgraded to a NUVI 370 and have to say I am very pleased with it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: