Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TI Traffic Module now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TI Traffic Module now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

Scanning means it's looking for a TMC channel, Receiving means it's found a TMC channel but maybe not Classic (which is the only channel it uses in the UK) and Receiving TMC means what it says.

So even if it's found ClassicFM and showing Receiving would a better aerial get it to change to recieving all the time?
Can anyone tell me if there is an off the shelf replacement aerial? Also does positioning of the wire effect the receiption?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I think I found a fix for my problem. I have a Yaris so the windscreen is quite small and due to the layout I have the Navman more closer to the passenger. (Also handy as they can make changes while I drive).
With the aerial positioned up in the passenger corner of the winscreen it seemed to stuggle to get the 'recieving TMC' instead of just 'receiving' because I didn't want to fix the cable tidy's until I was happy with the aerial location last night I just wound the slack cable around the Navman and base.
This left a shorter tighter cable going to the aerial. I was shocked to discover that it started to get TMC data within seconds and from what I can tell never lost the signal as I had 70+ events in the list when I got back home again Wink
At least now I don't feel so much that it was a waste of money.
So it does seem that positioning of the aerial and cable is the key.
Why don't NAVMAN include a troubleshooting section in the manual, I'm sure they could cut down on calls.

Also has anyone worked out what the Headphone socket on the T1 is for (i.e is it NAVMAN instructions or the traffic information itself) either way has anyone else found that the socket isn't actually a standard 3.5mm plug?
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon and mark,
I'm a newbie to this game but i have tried an earpiece in the 2.5mm socket on the T1 and so far it only gives the same sound as the ICN but does not mute the internal speaker like the 3.5mm socket on the ICN.

Perhaps you should be able to hear Capital Radio on the T1 socket?

Does anybody know??

Bob R
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea? Also confused why NAVMAN chose to put on such a funny size socket.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Radio antennas is they require precise geometry to be very good. A piece of wire is anything but, and as you have found, luck rather than any else determines your success. None if this matters if the signal is strong, but once it fades away a little you need a good antenna. If after moving things around a few times it doesn't work, install a real antenna - If a piece of wire was any good, why would all car manufactures go to the cost of installing dedicated antennas. Think of the money they could save!

As for the socket, I think it just repeats the sound out of the Navman. The idea is for those people who complain the speaker is not loud enough they can connect up an external speaker.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the rest of the world by the looks of things, I have been having the same poor reception problems with the T1. I do have an athermic windscreen which will not be helping. I received a replacement unit this morning but it isn't much better, although it did work, receiving from both Classic & Smooth FM on the M25 between M40 & M3. I intend to experiment with either an aerial splitter for the car aerial or an external aerial.

What I never see though is either of the 2 icons which are meant to be displayed to indicate whether its receiving RDS or not.
Does anyone else get these (I'm using a 530)

Thanks AlanN
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 530 will only display an icon on the mapscreen once you have lost TMC reception, so if you never had it in the first place then you'll never see this icon. There is no icon to show valid reception on the mapscreen. The only way to check for data reception is to go to the Traffic screen and see if it says Receiving TMC.

Even if it shows reception via SmoothFM, you will not get any data from this source as Navman's licence in the UK is exclusively with ClassicFM.
mcogman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I could do with your advice in clearing up the license arrangements with TMC for Navman.

I have posted eleswhere regarding the availability of TMC abroad but have not had an answer so perhaps, if I may be allowed to go a bit "off topic":-

1. Navman say they have TMC reception in Germany and France - how?

2. Are there any other countries where I can use my 530 with TMC? (Hopefully Italy!)?

Currently my TMC is pretty good without having a specific aerial configuration. The car is a Passat and the wire is draped from the TMC n the middle of the screen, down by the dashboard air vents and then back up the middle again to the T piece which is just dumped in the middle of the dashboard up against the bottom of the windscreen.

Sometimes I do lose the signal but I am more concerned about being able to remove the whole shebang and leaving no trace of a satnav to prevent theft.

Thanks in anticipation.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, Navman only provide TMC reception in the UK, France and Germany. I assume that the TMC data is encoded somehow and the decoder is built into the TMC receiver.

In the UK TMC is provided only by Classic FM. The receiver might find other TMC transmitters but cannot use the data.

In France I only received data from Inter. I don't know if they are the sole supplier.

I have not yet been to Germany so don't know who supplied data there.

I don't think TMC is available in Italy through Navman.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
As far as I'm aware, Navman only provide TMC reception in the UK, France and Germany. I assume that the TMC data is encoded somehow and the decoder is built into the TMC receiver.

In the UK TMC is provided only by Classic FM. The receiver might find other TMC transmitters but cannot use the data.

In France I only received data from Inter. I don't know if they are the sole supplier.

I have not yet been to Germany so don't know who supplied data there.

I don't think TMC is available in Italy through Navman.

Don't know about Europe. But T1 is NOT restricted to Classic in the UK. I know from a 980 mile trip this weekend that it is also able to receive and display events from Clyde 1 in the Glasgow area. Don't know how many others will also work.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anesbitt wrote:
Don't know about Europe. But T1 is NOT restricted to Classic in the UK. I know from a 980 mile trip this weekend that it is also able to receive and display events from Clyde 1 in the Glasgow area. Don't know how many others will also work.

Then I stand corrected. The information on Classic FM was given to me by a Navman employee. I am trying to get the information clarified.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
anesbitt wrote:

Then I stand corrected. The information on Classic FM was given to me by a Navman employee. I am trying to get the information clarified.

My experience so far is that they don't know much about the T1.
If they disagree. I have a picture (fuzzy mobile phone, but just clear enough) of the event screen showing the Clyde 1 traffic events.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see that pic if you can post it here or email it to me. I've had it confirmed that their licence in the UK is only with Classic FM but if other radio stations use the same tables (whatever that means) then that is a bonus. It uses France Inter in France, which matches my experience, and can use any TMC station in Germany.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I'd love to see that pic if you can post it here or email it to me. I've had it confirmed that their licence in the UK is only with Classic FM but if other radio stations use the same tables (whatever that means) then that is a bonus. It uses France Inter in France, which matches my experience, and can use any TMC station in Germany.

Just emailed the picture... Its out of focus, but you can just about make out the (Clyde 1) on the event line.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the missing icons. According to the T1 manual (page 12 for the 530) There should be 2 icons displayed on the map screen. 1 indicating it is receiving TMC and the other to indicate it has lost signal. Only the icon to indicate loss of signal ever displays, and then not very often. I think it may only show if it occurs at the same time as a safety camera warning. The receiving icon I have NEVER seen.
Having done a long journey with quite poor TCM reception it is essential to know when the unit is receiving data, otherwise all bets are off. I found that I had to monitor the status screen and not the map.
I have emailed Navmans uk tech support asking them to investigate. But would like to know if anyone has it working as it should.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: