Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No V6 Upgade For PDA Users - Official Response From TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No V6 Upgade For PDA Users - Official Response From TomTom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, don't throw away that old Tomtom disk, because if you do switch, it entitles you to upgrade pricing with at least one alternative provider

Now that would put a :D on my face if it included all my TT Disks of W. Europe inc UK.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until September.

Although remember tomtom can sometimes use a different calender from the rest of the planet.

Id rather it was ready when they released it not ready two months after they release it. Which is what would have happened if they had released in July as originally scheduled. Look at the shambles that the last batch of go upgrades was. Thats all on a similar platform. Consider the amount of platforms Nav 6 is going to run on. Thats a bit more work for them so it takes longer.

Going by tomtoms usual approach to QC Nav 6 should be a laugh as well Rolling Eyes

Anyway Destinator 6 is pretty good. Laughing
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Navigator 6 on new Palm Smartphone! Reply with quote

Who knows where this leaves existing owners!

http://clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml#newsitemEEVVyulFpFAxlyAMmj

New Palm Smartphone with integrated Tom Tom Nav 6!!!

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
weatheryoko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: That's actually great news.... Reply with quote

Well considering that the Treo 700w is running WM5 (i.e. it's a PPC), it looks like the wait for TT6 will soon be over (I hope.....).
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Navigator 6 on new Palm Smartphone! Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
New Palm Smartphone with integrated Tom Tom Nav 6!!!

Not quite, it's just a Palm branded GPS receiver and a 1Gb SD Card containing the Nav6 software and maps which you use with your current Treo 650, 700P or 700W.
elyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Navigator 6 on new Palm Smartphone! Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
Not quite, it's just a Palm branded GPS receiver and a 1Gb SD Card containing the Nav6 software and maps which you use with your current Treo 650, 700P or 700W.

Point being, if the software exists that runs on WM5, then in all likelihood it will be released for general sale to PPC owners.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to get clarification on this matter I have updated my question, as detailed below in the hope that TomTom may answer the question:

Thank you for your recent reply, but I have now received three different answers to the same question. Therefore can you confirm that the following is correct:

TomTom will continue to support PDA & Palm versions of TomTom Navigator.

TomTom have stopped developing TomTom Navigator for PDA's and have no plans to release a V6 update for PDA & Palm owners.

If not please can you confirm what the exact plans are and the estimated time scales.

Many Thanks
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that springs to mind from the figures for TomTom sales. If all users of TT Mobile and PDA actually bought their software, TomTom would be reporting higher sales and more likely to bring out updated products. I know there must be lots of illegal copies being used (you can judge from this forum even) and that does none of the legal users any good.

So it's looking like pirates could be the downfall of upgrades. Hence why TomTom will focus on selling hardware with software/maps.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the message is the pirates win?

As I've said before, each PDA customer is a potential hardware owner - and the cost of carrying forward existing customers is minsecule compared to selling to a new one. Furthermore, TT face a challenge in selling hardware - increasingly even the cheapest new car models integrate some form of Satnav. Meanwhile, the mobile phone has become camera, web browser, video camera... It's a difficult market for all players, but with the exceptionally negative media coverage (at least here in the UK) that TT receive (largely down to the old chestnut of map accuracy), the theft from vehicle potential that a dedicated non-integrated unit generates, the smartphone/mobile/handheld is a great way of increasing TT's 30.7% market share (which I believe has fallen recently in some territories).

All of this is academic. Like so many companies, TT don't know how to generate maximum $$ from its commercial assets. With a 3 month old product I've been sold, I'm now being told to buy a new hardware platform if I want map coverage of a tiny (island) territory (the map DOES exist); another support outlet is advising me to search for a country in a list of cities as, by implication, I have a better chance of determining the availability of a map than TT themselves do. Ignoring the fact that they've probably wandered the wrong side of the legality line in selling me a product that can take me door to door throughout Europe (yet now I learn it can't), they've failed to sell to an existing customer a commercial asset. In anybody's estimation, we're talking about an unhealthy company. I'm just grateful my investment is limited to an add-on product to an already valuable piece of hardware (Nav 5) and not in stock!

That said, if someone with a degree of commercial sense gets involved at TT I could soon be luxuriating in Nav V6 with the ability to download ANY map I could wish for. It's a fickle world!
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates should not win.

I agree there is a market but I'd say the total number of tt mobile and pda users who are illegal is quite high. Sadly. But I know of say 4-5 others using TT and I might be the only legit user from them. And no I didn't pass on maps etc. And I also own maps Europe and maps for Navman but prefer TT.

For phone users it does not help TT does not support Symbian 9.1. Other sat nav providers do of course. Not all yet but some.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always got the impression that it's difficult enough to get legitimate maps to work (yes, I'm joking, but you know what I mean!).

Surely in the face of pirates, a customer trying to buy an existing map is a good thing, no? TT's solution for me is to buy another TT system 90 days after buying the one I've got, or see if I can pirate the map (I won't, on principle, but I just know the other half will crucify me for not doing so when I end up down some dust track dead-end in the Canaries... oh wait, that would only happen WITH TT!) Laughing
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: upgrades Reply with quote

I'm waiting for an open source navigator and a common map format. We've all paid for the OS in taxes, wars etc it should belong to us.

There's plenty of alternatives to tomtom - nothing lasts for ever in the software world. Something else similar or better will replace it.
jvivek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time with TomTom, move on to another program. Tomtom is not supporting pda anymore, if you don't believe it, call their customer service, you will get your answer.
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, especially considering they started in the PDA market. anyone remember route planner on the Psion platform. Released under tomtoms previous name.

While the PDA market for them is smaller than the all in one 8million euros is still 8million euros. As long as this is greater than development costs why not continue?

As for maps the only alternative is Wayfinder. AS the system is offboard your maps are as upto date as the server and yes you have to pay GPRS costs to use the thing how much do you spend on map updates or getting lost because the maps are always out of date? With wayfinder map updates are free (teleatlas data) and often updated 4 times a year.

We will be having a review of the Pocket PC version in the next few weeks
http://www.wayfinderlife.co.uk
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyoneill wrote:
....only alternative is Wayfinder. AS the system is offboard

So consequently it relies upon Wayfinders servers being on-line AND your phone system. Two potentials for ending up with no system when you most need it - I think not.

I can't comments about GPRS, but is it anything like the mobile phone networks which appear to go into meltdown any time anything serious happens? (or each New Year)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: