Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GPS 2.09 breaks other GPS applications
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GPS 2.09 breaks other GPS applications
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom GPS 2.09 breaks other GPS applications Reply with quote

TomTom have yet again, even after specific technical advise from the Pocket GPS World Team have gone ahead and released another version of their GPS applet with full knowledge that it will break all other GPS applications that wish to talk to a Bluetooth GPS.

TomTom's GPS driver constantly holds open a connection to the Bluetooth stack on the Pocket PC which results in a failure with any other application wanting to talk to a Bluetooth GPS.

This really does make me angry, TomTom really do know what they are doing and I have spoken with two people direct about this problem at TomTom and yet they still release a version that screws up any other GPS application wanting to talk Bluetooth. Angry

Okay, as before with 2.08 here is the fix
1. Go into START | SETTINGS | REMOVE PROGRAMS
2. You should see a program called "TomTom ~ GPS" (without quotes)
3. Tap REMOVE and answer YES
4. The new TomTom Wizard will appear asking you to reset the Pocket PC, tap the OK button.

Now you will have a fixed connection and you will be able to use other applications again with your Bluetooth GPS Receiver and not be confined to just TomTom Navigator 2.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank goddnes im stil working with cf pgs Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 8O

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this update, but couldn't get the exe. file to launch. As I had already removed the old version, as instructed, I then had to reinstall v 2.08 from my CD. I now have a problem that my bluetooth on my GPS receiver (TomTom) no longer has a blue flashing light and will not work.
Has anybody else had this problem, or knows of any solution?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed we have and it's bad news Sad If there is no Bluetooth light at all except for a brief flicker perhaps when you power on then it's dead. We've seen it a few times both here and with readers units.

The only resolution is to have the unit exchanged under warranty. It's almost certainly a coincidence that this occurred at the same time as running the v2.09 upgrade.
DCM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren for a quick reply, i was afraid of this, that the BT part of the unit was dead, i only got it on 12 dec 03 that did not last long Exclamation Exclamation

Do you know if there is a hard reset on the unit Question

General question - are TTN BT usually reliable or i have i been unlucky ?

Thanks

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no hard reset. The only options are to leave the unit to drain the battery completely (> 7 days). We tried this but it had no effect on the loss of Bluetooth issue.

BT GPS receivers don't appear to be any less reliable than other receivers. Although i am aware of at least 4 TomTom BT units with the same symptoms as yours it's diffcult to comment on reliability without knowing how many have been sold. We have a wide range of BT units here and in the main they've proved reliable with the early Emtac/Socket units still doing sterling service. It's too early to tell how they will fare as regards charge cycles reducing the battery life which will ultimately prove an issue.

Sorry there is no quick fix for your problem, it seems to be caused by a spike when charging or plugging/unplugging power but we've not been able to confirm this. You should not have any problem getting a replacement considering the age of the unit.
Denzil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just reading throught this thread (appologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick) and read that someone said there was no hard reset for their device. If you are talking about the xdaI then unscrew the stylus end and push it in to the whole marked with a battery symbol at the bottom right corner of the device. If it is the xdaII then insert the stylus in to the soft reset whole at the bottom left corner of the device whilest holding down the power button at the top left of the device.

If you are not talking about the XDA then, errm, right, OK, C ya!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We weren't talking about the XDA's, why did you think we were Wink The enquiry concerned an issue with a TomTom Bluetooth GPSR that had lost bluetooth. There is no facility to hard reset these devices Sad
djenki21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've suffered a similar hardware problem shortly after removing the TomTom ~ GPS application, but this time GPS, rather than Bluetooth. This fix did indeed work, as I was able to talk to a trial version of GPS Tuner that didn't work before the removal. But shortly after this, the GPS part of the receiver seems to have gone West! Sad

The Bluetooth light is flashing OK and the GPS software module that comes with TomTom Navigator 2 suggests that it is receiving signals from the receiver, but the no satellite indicators light up at all.

In addition, the "I've got a fix" green GPS indicator now never illuminates.

Unless anyone knows what's happened here, I guess it's back to the vendor for my receiver. Sad (Only had it two months!)
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
There is no hard reset. The only options are to leave the unit to drain the battery completely (> 7 days).

There is a hard reset (not that this will necessarily help with this problem). What do you mean by "There is no hard reset"?

I think you mean "a hard reset won't help". All iPaqs can be hard reset.

Nick...
Trude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was talking about hard resetting the GPS receiver, not the iPAQ!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
What do you mean by "There is no hard reset"? I think you mean "a hard reset won't help". All iPaqs can be hard reset.

As Trude explained, I was referring to the TomTom Bluetooth GPS not iPAQ's (or any PPC for that matter) which can of course be hard reset easily Thumbs Up
Biggles_no1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: iPAQ 2210 Bluetooth Driver Update for PPC2003 Reply with quote

Don't know if this helpful information or not but there is a bluetooth driver update for iPAQ 2210 (dated 4 Nov 03).

It is supposed to do the following . . .

Corrects Bluetooth (BT) Manager lockup that occurred if the device was turned OFF while the status screen or Active Connections screen was open.

Corrects BT Manager lockup when trying to add or remove connections in the PAN Manager.

Corrects issue where BT would not start when the device was turned ON and attempted to connect to ActiveSync.

Corrects BT File Explorer lockup after access was denied from an FTP connection through Ericsson T610 phone.

Corrects system lockup when disconnecting a PAN connection via the incoming connection icon.

Corrects the issue where contacts lost the name fields when multiple duplicate contacts were received on a separate OPP connection.

Corrects the 'Yes to All' functionality in the overwrite screen that appears when receiving a contact from a remote device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've settled with 2.07 Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your system won't work without one or more of the fixes in 2.08 or 2.09, I'd stick with 2.07 as well.

However, if you've already got 2.08 installed, I'd stick with that.

The only people I'd recommend 2.09 to are XDA 2 / MDA 2 users (for whom I understand it gives them Bluetooth serial port support and hence the ability to use a Bluetooth GPS without the unofficial patch) or anyone who has a particular reason to want the Bluetooth fixes that are listed for 2.09.

If 2.07 or 2.08 works in your setup and you're happy with it, I wouldn't upgrade. Hopefully there will eventually be a future version that solves the problems and is possible to recommend universally. I think the only current consensus is that 2.09 is a mess, though it does solve some important problems for a limited number of people.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: