Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC / TMS software for PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC / TMS software for PDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yebaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: TMC / TMS software for PDA Reply with quote

Hi I have TT5 and Navigon 5 on my PDA. The former is infinately better for navigation but lacks the free to air TMS service that Navigon has. I don't spend a lot of time driving in traffic and don't want to pay a subscription for the TT service.

Does anybody know of any add-on software that will work with free TMS and TT5 or failing this any software that will work simultaneously and independently from TT5 - ie give me the traffic info and alow me to make my own descisions about re-routing?

Thanks,

Justin
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: TMC / TMS software for PDA Reply with quote

No, there's no RDS-TMC addon for TT5 that uses the radio services.

There are very few standalone apps for PocketPC which provide the information, and the one I can think of was never supported in the UK, and doesn't have up to date names of roads.

You might be best looking at something like a Trafficmaster standalone unit, which appear on ebay from time to time, although based on your comments you need to go for a free one, not one which requires an ongoing subscription.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC / TMS software for PDA Reply with quote

[quote="swing"]

There are very few standalone apps for PocketPC which provide the information, and the one I can think of was never supported in the UK, and doesn't have up to date names of roads.

quote]

I believe Navigon may have reached an agreement now to provide RDS TMC in the UK with V5.... not sure about V6.

I have V4.2 which was supported in the UK and in all honestly I wasn't impressed (now shelved Wink ).

The TT solution using GPRS is much better IMHO as you actually get a reasonably reliable signal. The RDS reception can be very patchy unless you hardwire it into your FM ariel.

Hope this helps!!

Chris
yebaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC / TMS software for PDA Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I do have Navigon 5 that will RDS TMC but haven't bought a receiver yet so I don't know how it actually works in practice. Not impressed with the navigation software though. Does navigon give verbal announcements? Could it be feasible to run TT and Navigon together, just to get the traffic info?

chris_w wrote:
TTGO700 V5.420 with External Antenna.
SE K750i (256Mb Memory Stick Duo)
Navigon 4.2 with TMC & Poi-Warner (Shelved).
Garmin GPSMAP 76S

You must have a lot going on in the car / cab whenever you drive somewhere!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC / TMS software for PDA Reply with quote

yebaws wrote:
Thanks for that.

I do have Navigon 5 that will RDS TMC but haven't bought a receiver yet so I don't know how it actually works in practice. Not impressed with the navigation software though. Does navigon give verbal announcements? Could it be feasible to run TT and Navigon together, just to get the traffic info?

chris_w wrote:
TTGO700 V5.420 with External Antenna.
SE K750i (256Mb Memory Stick Duo)
Navigon 4.2 with TMC & Poi-Warner (Shelved).
Garmin GPSMAP 76S

You must have a lot going on in the car / cab whenever you drive somewhere!

IMHO Navigon isn't great so although I own it I don't use it anymore - It let me down too many times - the mess with the TMC licensing for V5 was the last straw.

The TMC is equally dodgy although I have red reports you can improve it using a Y splitter cable from www.navigon.com - just go to the shop.

You don't get verbal announcements you get a pop up window you have to decide to either avoid or ignore - you can set it to automatic though - but then you don't have any control over your route.

IMHO if I specifically wanted TMC I would buy a Tom Tom navigation system and use the GPRS service - the TT TMC when it is launched will be very new and will no doubt have issues. All TT's products do Wink - so leave it 12 months.

One point - the TMC information you receive is pretty rubbish anyway at the moment so don't expect jam free motoring - you tend to find jams being left on there for too long or just missing. The service has been down a few times as well.

Al lot going on in the car? Laughing - well yes you'll be relieved to know I only use my TT 700 in the car. It's the three kids and the wife that cause all the disruption Laughing

All the best.............

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: