Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urgent Garmin TMC 12 set up question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent Garmin TMC 12 set up question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Urgent Garmin TMC 12 set up question Reply with quote

Hi
Just bought a Nuvi 360 with the bundled TMC 12. I'm going away v soon and have just tried to set the TMC up. It goes as far as telling me the unit ID and tells directs me to the garmin site to get an unlock code. They then want me to pay!! I cant find any other way of unlocking it. Has anyone set up one of the bundled ones? Has anyone got a UK helpline number for Garmin?
Thanks in advance
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent Garmin TMC 12 set up question Reply with quote

Where did you buy it from? The Nuvi 360 doesn't come bundled with the GTM12, although there is a Nuvi 310 Deluxe package that does.

If you have the 310D package, you need to connect it all up (including power) and turn it all on - after a while the unit will pick up both the GPS signal and the TMC signal and after that you will see you have a lifetime subscription to UK traffic. You may find plugging the computer USB cable into your computer and then into the rear USB port on the mount more reliable for the initial TMC signal detection (if you can get a GPS signal where the computer is).

If you really have a 360 (where the dealer has bundled them together - I do know one dealer who does this), then there's one of two options:

1. If it's a UK GTM12 (and was stated as having a UK subscription to Trafficmaster), then follow the above paragraph and it'll work.

2. If it's a European (or French) GTM12, then it probably won't have the UK subscription, and you will need to register and pay for it via Garmin first.

Personally, I think option 2 is unlikely (unless you bought from outside the UK).

However, two other things spring to mind - firstly, you should probably manually download the latest firmware update for the Nuvi and apply it, then use the WebUpdater to pick up other updates (including I think a TMC update). These will all need a reboot or two (and you may lose any POIs etc. you have installed). This may help (somone in another thread has just bought a 310D and found he needed to update the software before the TMC worked). Take a BACKUP of the contents of the Nuvi internal drive before applying any changes though.

Secondly, you may simply have a faulty GTM12 (not unknown, but rare).

Finally, Garmin's phone number is on their website, http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/ although you may well have a 20-30 minute wait to talk to someone.
pitstop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I say bundled but what I meant was that I bought the 360 from Carphonewarehouse - it was 'bundled' with a 360 at a £100 discount, i.e. I only paid £49.99 for it. I've just found some instructions saying I need do nothing more than plug it in. I'm going on a trip soon so I'll see if it works! Once again, thanks for the speedy reply.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sounds like a nice deal. In which case, it's a UK GTM12, and should just work, but I still recommend you look at updating both the Garmin software and the TMC software as above to get all the latest fixes.
benmahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone tell me what firmware version their GTM12 is on the 310D. I have GTM v. 3.6 and a firmware 2.52 beta. Would like to know that I have the latest version of the GTM firmware as I have only ever got traffic info once and it is really winding me up.

Thanks

Ben
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benmahy wrote:
Can anyone tell me what firmware version their GTM12 is on the 310D. I have GTM v. 3.6 and a firmware 2.52 beta.
v3.60 is the latest available via WebUpdater, and the version I have.

Quote:
Would like to know that I have the latest version of the GTM firmware as I have only ever got traffic info once and it is really winding me up.
When travelling, is the light on the cigarette lighter cable red or green? A lot of people are finding that there is not enough power coming through the cable (hence the red light), and replacing the cable with another has solved the problem to the extent that traffic now appears. To test this, plug the computer USB cable into the back of the car mount (in the house) and using the 310D in the house see if you get traffic. If so (and it's likely to come straight through) then the problem is with the power coming through, and not the unit or the software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: