Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any Update on Irish maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Update on Irish maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Any Update on Irish maps Reply with quote

Hi,
I last week purchased a 910 and live in the Rep. of Ireland. I purchased it for the European and US maps but now the fact that Ireland is not mapped to any great extent is bothering me.
I contacted Tomtom and they said next year for the Irish Map. This seems a bit far off considering Navteq have a map already out.
This morning,on the national Irish radio station Radio 1, a Spanish tourist had a go at Tomtom saying that their Irish maps were brutal.

With such a large population and these units becoming cheaper I am surprised that Tomtom or Teleatlas has not got its finger out before now.

Anyway back to my original point does anyone have an update on when an Irish map will be available?

Thanks in advance
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only asked TomTom last week, I assume they would have better information than us lot! Wink

Agree that it is a cr*p situation though, ESPECIALLY if TomTom have the nerve to sell units in Ireland.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any Update on Irish maps Reply with quote

Kiloman wrote:
I contacted Tomtom and they said next year for the Irish Map.

I've heard that before... when was that... ah. Oh. 8O

TomTom should extend their Navteq map availability beyond the Rider. I don't think they are short on cash to purchase the full licence...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Agree that it is a cr*p situation though, ESPECIALLY if TomTom have the nerve to sell units in Ireland.

I'm surprised they can get away with it with 'Trading Standards' 'or sale of goods act' or the european equivalent.

It CLEARLY states on their website

TomTom GO 910

- Easy to use
- Maps of the WHOLE of Europe,

and when i was at school,the Republic of Ireland IS part of EUROPE, and Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain.

As Andy stated, 'having the nerve to SELL it in Ireland' is like selling ice cubes to Eskimo's.

The question I would ask is WHY is Ireland left out.
Kiloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Gingernut777 about the sales pitch of "the whole of Europe". However it is like some financal products, the small print is the what counts.

Anyway does anyone else have an updated release date of this map.
It is not that I wish to contradict Tomtom customer support I have no idea as to what they are like, but they can only repeat what they are told.

Most of Dublin is covered but some the routings are bizzare.

Back to my original point I am surpirsed that Tomtom allows another company into the largest untapped market let in Europe for this product.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavteQ have only just released full mapping of Ireland Im not sure whats happening with teleatlas. the reason the Ireland has not been mapped properly is that teleatlas has mapped it fully yet so the data is not availble to tomtom at the realse point of the maps

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
KevinMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Update on Irish maps Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having trouble determining which maps actually have the complete Navteq data in them. Can someone please tell me which ones? I'll be coming to Ireland in two weeks and I could really use some coverage of Mayo. I haven't bought a device yet so I can base my device purchase on the quality of the map (although I'd prefer to go with a Garmin).

thanks a bunch,
Kevin

Kiloman wrote:
Hi,
This seems a bit far off considering Navteq have a map already out.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Connemara and Mayo last month, and my Garmin i3 with latest mapping showed main roads only for rural areas, but street-level in towns such as Clifden.

Navigated fine between Knock Airport in Mayo and Moyard in Connemara, including negotiating the one-way systems in Castlebar and Westport, but got very confused when we turned onto minor country lanes, which we did most of the time, so a map was definitely needed.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: