Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchasing CityNavigator Europe for i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchasing CityNavigator Europe for i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Purchasing CityNavigator Europe for i3 Reply with quote

I've just taken delivery of my i3 including a 256MB microSD chip with UK and Ireland (I seem to have the version with no internal memory). I'd like to upgrade to the full Europe version of CityNavigator NT but don't know where to get it. I called Garmin and after waiting on hold for 30mins finally spoke to somone who was very helpful but cheerfully told me it's not sold in Europe and I'd have to find a retailer in the US who'd ship it to me. I'm no expert in the science of marketing (if there is such a thing) but I can't see the logic of that - it's expensive enough so it's not as through they wouldn't be making any money.

Does anyone know either (i) a US supplier who will sell to the UK at a decent price or (ii) some other way I can get hold of it (legitimately!) in the UK. I realise I can get the single country mSD cards at about £90 each but that's not very cost effective if buying more than two countries (and if they sell those why not the full Europe version?).

From what I've managed to learn on this forum (which is excellent) I gather there's not much point buying any of the lower cost map versions for the i3 as CityNavigator NT is the only one which will retain full functionality with the i3 - ie the UK postcode search capability. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks for any suggestions.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IFAK the cheapest way is to buy a kit like this, chuck away the bits you don't want (or flog 'em on eBay) and also buy the biggest Micro SD card you can. Don't use the original card with UK mapping as you'll overwrite the data.
PMH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chas. Do you know how the City Select Europe software differs from the City Navigator? Should I continue to use the supplied UK/Ireland mSD when I'm in the UK?

Peter
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMH wrote:
Do you know how the City Select Europe software differs from the City Navigator? Should I continue to use the supplied UK/Ireland mSD when I'm in the UK?

City Select is being discontinued, would be worth checking the following with the supplier before ordering:

1/ Will you get City Navigator or City Select with the product?
2/ Which version will you get
3/ Will there be one unlock code with the product (ISTR that a 2nd for a 2nd unit is available FOC. from Garmin)

Then check with Garmin that, should the unit come with City Select V7 or less, an update (these are free if you purchase after the release date) of City Select would get you City Navigator.

Please note that I haven't done this myself so can't absolutely guarantee success although I don't see why it shouldn't work. So long as you have a legit copy of the mapping data and an unlock code I can't see it failing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: