Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What should I get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SallyM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: What should I get? Reply with quote

I've read pages and pages of posts with lots of information but have now got myself confused.
I've narrowed my choice down to TomTom and Garmin because both makes get good reviews here.
Will a knight on a white charger please come to the help of a damsel in distress and explain the differences between different units in ordinary (non technical language) and help me make a decision.
I need:

Postcode navigation

Bluetooth so I can use the natnav as a handsfree

Good volume because I've got an open top car. I drive with the hood down a lot in the summer and when the hood's up it;s noisier than a normal car

The option to use it on holidays in America - which I guess means buying a chip or download

Is there any difference between the way the TT and the Garmin give warnings of speed cameras?

What are the Pros and Cons (in ordinary language) between the cheapest TomTom and cheapest Garmin Nuvi with those features?

Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.
I'd really appreciate some help guys.

Sally
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are both good units the only really difference as far as I know is that the nuvi doesnt come with us maps and that these are not available outside of the US where as the GO910 has the both western europe maps and US maps preinstalled but it is a little mre bulky than the nuvi 360 which along with the nuvi310 can be used as a handsfree kit the go910 also has this feature the best thing to do would be to go to somewhere like halfords or pc world and see if you could play with dmeo model

its really down to personal choice at the end of the day my prefernce would be for tomtom for the ease of use

or to be really patronising have a look at this

http://www.intempo-digital.com/buddy.htm

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the tom sally
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say tomtom to i got a 910 and in my opentop i just use the supplied ear plug or if your car stero has a audio in you can plug in to that and have spoken promps played through car speakers currys do a thing that looks like a tape with a wire on it (put tape in car cassete player and plug other end into tt) and that will play through car stero to.
mmmm Think all that makes sence

http://www.intempo-digital.com/buddy.htm Laughing Laughing

I think thats realy harsh alix776 Laughing but funny.

Quote from site
And while the 'simple' department were making sure it was completely plug and play, the 'gorgeous' department were sprinkling it with flowers and butterflies, and adding a lovely little pouch so it doesn't get damaged in your handbag...
So i would not be getting one for my truck Laughing
SallyM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Thumbs Up

A pink 'buddy'? 8O
No thanks! 8O
Although I'm not technical, I use various computer programs so 'ease of use' is less important than getting the best product.

It looks like satnavs with America maps installed are out of my budget for the moment so I'll forego that for now and buy a download later.

I've narrowed it down to either the TomTom510 or Garmin Nuvi 310 which are much the same price.

I prefer the looks of the Nuvi but that's not as important as getting the best product.

What does one do that the other doesn't?

Which do you think is better and why?

PS to the Moderator -
Was my title against the rules?
Sorry.

Sally
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/
Take a look at this site you can compair there.
Then go to say halfords and see if they will let you have a play with the demo ones.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was fine by me not guilty ive been out for a ew hours must have been someone else

the buddy was put in as a joke i just forgot the smilies Laughing

have a look at pc world and tesco also have the 910 in 2 the nuvi 310 and and tomtom 510 are about the same aswell thought with the 310 you do get free traffic with an extra module

device Lumia 950 xl
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SallyM wrote:
PS to the Moderator -
Was my title against the rules?
Sorry.
Sally

No, not against the rules - I just thought you would get more replies if the title reflected the question being asked, as people who are able to help/want to help are more likely to look at the post and reply if they have a vague idea of what the subject is.

I remember once that a new member posted with a completely irrelevant title and got very few helpful replies in his thread - he actually got slated for having a title that was completely irrelevant to the post. Just wanted to avoid the same thing happening here, that's all, as it probably made that poster think that this wasn't a very friendly forum. :-)

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The option to use it on holidays in America - which I guess means buying a chip or download
Unless you are taking your car on holiday to America, doubtful I'd guess, you'll probably have Sat Nav in your hire car.

You haven't mentioned Europe, would you need those maps at the moment? You could always get them at a later date.

Cutting down on the mapping could place a unit well within your budget and enough left over to buy some 'Brillo' pads for my Armour. :P
sherman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brillo pads mate?? that would tarnish your armour you should have a bash with brasso Joker
Thrutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally,
One other thing to note is that the TomTom uses TeleAtlas mapping data and the Garmin has NAVTEQ mapping data. There are lots of debates on the quality of this data (and I don't know anything about the USA data). I love the TomTom interface but I think the quality of TeleAtlas maps for the UK is rubbish (My house was on NAVTEQ maps 2 years before TeleAtlas managed to add it). I would never have a product that uses TeleAtlas map data but that is my own opinion and others with experience of NAVTEQ maps may probably say the same thing about NavTeq ?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thruch having used both teleatlaatlas and navteq mapping they evenly matched for map errors. having used both sets of data of dofferent applications

device Lumia 950 xl
Thrutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 agreed this is my own opinion from my own experience. I have limited exposure to NAVTEQ maps but I've checked them in my brothers Honda (built in GPS) and my friends Garmin for the area I live and the roads I know are incorrect. The maps were more up-to-date than the equivalent TeleAltas maps of the same time. So I can only make one conclusion from this, that NAVTEQ are quicker to update their map data than TeleAltas ? Saying that I will propably dislike them both in the end and go back to my trusted road atlas at least that won't send me through a fjord or off a cliff edge :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: