Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - garmin nuvi 310DeLuxe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

garmin nuvi 310DeLuxe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macomk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: garmin nuvi 310DeLuxe Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would love to buy this GPS, but it is not very clear from halfords if I have all europian maps and tmc( traffic reports)+ subscription, included.
Do I have to buy reciever for the tmc separately?
And also they promissing language translator for free is that true?
What else is the advatage of this gps?

Thank you for your help

Martin
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi macomk
Welcome
From what I can work out, with the 310D you get 1 region from the European maps installed on the device (probably going to be UK if you buy it here).
You do get the rest of Europe to street level but it comes on CD, so you'll have to get yourself some SD cards (or 1 big one!).
I believe the TMC receiver is internal on this unit and that the subscription is included in the price and the subscription is for life.
The langauge translator is installed on the unit with samples from different countries, but you have to purchase the full dialogue from the countries of your choice from Garmin.
Other advantages
If it's reliable sat nav you're after then I would highly recommend the Garmin. The maps ain't the prettiest on the market but that's no great shakes.
You can still stick your speed cameras on it (although you can on most) but one feature that I think is really cool, that's not on the others is, not only does it warn you when you're approaching a camera but it also gives you a warning if you're going too fast. :D
The best bit for me is that all the software works on it, unlike some others I could mention, and it's so simple to use too. :D

Hope this is of help to you.

CeeJay
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi it's me again.

After reading some other posts, the TMC aerial does not appear to be internal to the unit, but is supplied.
Perhaps some other 510D users can confirm.

CeeJay.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
After reading some other posts, the TMC aerial does not appear to be internal to the unit, but is supplied.
Perhaps some other 510D users can confirm.
It's not clear if you are after the c510 Deluxe, or the Nuvi 310 Deluxe, but I'll answer for both...

The c510D has the RDS-TMC electronics built into the unit, but needs an antenna. The unit ships with a combined power cable / radio antenna like this - this antenna will need to be located somewhere.

The Nuvi 310D has to have the RDS-TMC antenna and receiver plugged into it, but ships with a compact unit like this, which also needs to be located somewhere.

I don't know of any SatNav unit on the market that doesn't need an antenna (especially in the UK, where for some parts of the country you may find a connection to the car aerial is needed to get a strong enough signal)
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi swing.

Thanks for putting me straight on that. Embarassed
I've still to purchase my TMC antenna for my 360, but I knew that when I bought it.
I thought I might wait a while as there seems to be a lot of people with 'signal strength' issues.
Still a cracking little unit though.
Got me to an address in Northampton from Surrey yesterday and my final destination was a fairly new road (no more than 2 years old). :D

CeeJay
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
Thanks for putting me straight on that.
I was providing information to the original poster, more than correcting you.
Quote:
I've still to purchase my TMC antenna for my 360, but I knew that when I bought it.
I thought I might wait a while as there seems to be a lot of people with 'signal strength' issues.
It does seem a little hit and miss at the moment, if you think it's going to be a problem, it may well be worth going for the GTM-10 which connects into the car aerial and then you should be fine.

I wonder if we should start a thread for people to list good areas and bad areas for signal reception with the Garmin GTMs...
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi swing.

I'd certainly be interested to see the results of that before parting with my wedge for the TMC thingy. :D

CeeJay.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin nuvi 310DeLuxe Reply with quote

macomk wrote:
Hi all,

I would love to buy this GPS, but it is not very clear from halfords if I have all europian maps and tmc( traffic reports)+ subscription, included.
Do I have to buy reciever for the tmc separately?
And also they promissing language translator for free is that true?
What else is the advatage of this gps?

Thank you for your help

Martin

What can I say about Halfords!? Well, for starters they have different prices for the 310, and from memory this is the deal. I'll also answer your questions based on my experience.

Nuvi 310 - £255 - No bluetooth and no GTM traffic receiver. One map region installed and the map software for your PC only limits you to one country of your choice.

Nuvi 310 - £299 - Includes Bluetooth and maps for Europe. The UK/Ireland is pre-installed on your Nuvi, but you get an unlock code for the other European countries that you can download to an SD card on your Nuvi.

Nuvi 310D - £399 - Includes Bluetooth, all maps per the £299 version, and also comes with the GTM-12 receiver and a life-time subscription to TrafficMaster (RAC)

As far as I can tell all Nuvi 310 releases come with the language translator and travel guide (well at least the Deluxe version does), however, these are SE (Special Editions). This means you only get a subset of information from the full versions, but the information you do get is quite acceptable for general use. To order the full versions of the translator and the travel guide you need to pay about £60 per each which comes delivered on an SD memory card.

The TMC receiver is included in the deluxe model only (GTM-12), and comes with its' own earial and suction cups that allow you to position it up the side of your windscreen. It seems to work for me, although I do have queries on the level of subscription service paid for to the RAC. Apparently there are different subscription levels (more up-to-date data and coverage if you pay more money), but I can't confirm this as fact. It's only from what I have read when searching on Google.

What are the advantages of the Nuvi 310D you ask? Well it's down to personal preferrence, but I like the hand-free telephone option. It works great and picks up a bluetooth enabled mobile instantly. The sound is very clear in both directions and appears to do a good job of cancelling out background car noise. Not only that it can display a list of numbers stored in your phone's memory for quick dialling - a very handy feature.

The other advantage is the fact you can upload speed camera information and other POI's.

Overall the system is very intuitive to use, and a nice form factor (Slips easily into a jacket pocket). It's also very light, so no worries of weighing down your shirt pocket.

Finally, the maps and directions are very clear (even at awkward junctions), and the sound is crisp and clear. In fact the only drawback I can find with this product is when trying to hold a phone conversation whilst driving at motorway speeds of 70 mph. Then you need to whack the volume to max which is accompanied by slightly distorted sound which can be frustrating. If this is going to be a problem for you, then you can always hook-up an external speaker via the headphone socket.

I would give this unit 9/10 when compared to the TomTom Go which has equally good standing.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: garmin nuvi 310DeLuxe Reply with quote

TGL wrote:
although I do have queries on the level of subscription service paid for to the RAC. Apparently there are different subscription levels (more up-to-date data and coverage if you pay more money), but I can't confirm this as fact. It's only from what I have read when searching on Google.
I'd be interested to know where you read this, as I don't believe it is true. To the best of my knowledge, TM (and iTIS Holdings, the other traffic service provider) only have 1 level of service, with one level of data and coverage.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGL, I think you're wong!!
As far as I know, Halfords only have the 'normal' 310 at £299 and the 310D (deluxe) for £399.
The 310D has the TMC receiver and Euro maps on DVD but only UK maps in internal memory so you need to buy an SD card (like I have) to store euro maps on the unit.
The 'normal' 310 has no Euro maps and no TMC.
There is no £250 Nuvi in Halfords.

All 310's have bluetooth.

Ravi
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Nuvi 300 at £254, Uk maps only(No europe maps and no bluetooth).
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it!

Ravi
grumpy44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked this question on 'The Best' forum, but so far no answer and I wanted to buy my sat nav this weekend - so please can you help.

Love the look of the Nuvi range but I need UK and USA maps within the next 10 days. TOM TOM 910 has them preloaded but I like the look of the NUVI more. What is the best value NUVI to buy for mainly UK and USA travel (East and West coast), don't use a mobile very much, like Text to Speach capability, good POI. Where is the best place to currently buy it from and how do we get the USA maps don't want to splash out another £200 +.
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there's another satnav out tere that has BOTH us & european maps. If that's what you need, you have no alternative but the TT. However, you can get a Nuvi and buy the US maps for it but I think it's going to cost you another £100+ at least (that's a guess btw!)
The TT's a big ugly brute compared to the Nuvi as we all know!

Check out the Mio C510 / C710. My friend's just ordered one (getting it today) and it looks incredible. It has teh iGo 2006 software on it and it appears to be WAY better than TT or Nuvi. I'll report back later when I get my mits on it!!
grumpy44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some extensive searches the Magellan Roadmate 800 has also got the Europe and USA maps loaded and from gpsw it is on offer for £399 with all maps unlocked. But I cannot find any indepth data on this product and have a feeling that it is old technology.

Doing yet even more seaches it looks like the NUVI compatible maps are around the £199 mark from Maplin (UK supplier - Garmin won't supply to the UK). Looks like to get what I need sub £450 in the next 10 days, it will have to be TT910 - which is a shame as it is ugly and has far too many functions that will never be used.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: