Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

But, doesn't the mio 168 have a QVGA (320x240) display? On my Loox Desti PN (no VGA support) in 3D mode went well. The problem is Desti 6's VGA support - slow for me.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the O2 Exec using a VGA screen. The 3D mode is working fine and is as good as I get with TOMTOM. However I am also liking the 2D mode which is much much better than TOMTOMs
K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
I have the O2 Exec using a VGA screen. The 3D mode is working fine and is as good as I get with TOMTOM. However I am also liking the 2D mode which is much much better than TOMTOMs

Hi Mark, last week I saw Destinator-6 in action on my colleagues' HP-4700 (640x480) in UK, however both 2D and 3D views were QVGA (320x240) and they are both as pixilated as Desninator PN? Since I saw it I start thinking to switch from PN to TomTom but your post is giving me some hope Smile
Could you confirm that you have VGA resolution on your PDA with "out of the box" installation without using VGA enforcing programs like ForceHires? Any chance you can post 2D screenshoot here?
Thank you in advance. Regards, K
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Destinator 6 running on my iPaq4700. I always use it in 2d mode and it's fine - much better than PN. Today I decided to try it with just the GPS using the map to show my position as I drove and after about 10mins the 4700 froze. I reselt it and tried again but the same thing happened. When I checked the memory there was only 24mb free in the main memory.

Anyway not a problem for me as I much prefer the 2d mode. I often drive with Destinator setup and running giving me verbal route instructions with AA Speedcare in the foreground giving true speed and camera locations. This combination works fine.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the standard "out of the box" build of the O2 Exec.

During today’s drive I have used 2D and 3D modes. I have noticed a slight delay in the drawing of the 3D screen especially when driving over 40 MPH and in my opinion the screen is still clearer than TOMTOM’s and CoPilots.

However I also prefer the 2D mode as you get much more detail and the zooming in function works extremely well.

I have also downloaded the Speed Camera Database from this website in to my favourites and switched on the alarm function. This I have found to be excellent on par with TOMTOM and a big improvement over CoPilot.

Hopefully if I can find the time over this weekend I intend to write a little review and post it into the forum, when I can work out how to include photos!

boardlord - If you are having speed issues it may be connected with the type of memory card you are using. I would always recommend using a known brand rather than an unknown clone.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark.

I would be very grateful for any information you can provide on how to load the Speed Camera database in Destinator 6. I current use AA Speedcare because I gave up trying to get the camaera data into PN. Is it more straight forward with D6?.

Thanks

boardlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my issues have not improved, but it's not a big issue as I use iGO here in Hungary. The map of Hungary in D6 is (a very bad word).

But still, TomTom and iGo worked *almost* flawlessy on my device, so I guess I have to wait for an update Smile

About the brand of my card: it's a Kingston 512gb CF card, and haven't had a performance issue with it yet, but I guess I'll check with a different one too.

Thanks guys for the numerous posts to help me!
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
Mark.

I would be very grateful for any information you can provide on how to load the Speed Camera database in Destinator 6. I current use AA Speedcare because I gave up trying to get the camaera data into PN. Is it more straight forward with D6?.

Thanks

Easy in D6.

Just download the database in .csv format (either one file or seperate files if you wish)

Go to Destinator console, select the pocketgps .csv file, click convert, and then download.

Go to D6, Select Favorites, Click Alerts and select warn and the distance and you are done.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peterkk, I give it a try. I still have an 'old' copy of the Speed Camera Database and if I get on OK I'll take out a subscription, rather than renew my AA Speedcare.

bazz007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: speed camera Reply with quote

Could one of you nice guys tell me how to install the camera database on my shiney new destinator 6 thingy Smile

I managed fine with tomtom 5 but i haven't found the relevant instructions for D6

Any help would really be welcomed

Regards

Bazz
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: speed camera Reply with quote

bazz007 wrote:
Could one of you nice guys tell me how to install the camera database on my shiney new destinator 6 thingy Smile

I managed fine with tomtom 5 but i haven't found the relevant instructions for D6

Any help would really be welcomed

Regards

Bazz

I have just posted instructions for this at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41376.
richybig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr wrote:
Yes you can get a route to a postcode and it accepts the full 7 digit code.

Dave, can you tell me how to do a full postcode search in Destinator 6? I've just had the upgrade from PN version but I still seems to use the short postcode search to me Sad

Thanks in advance

Richy
byrnefm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got Destinator 6 yesterday - is it just me or does the text look very 'blocky'? It's like as if it wasn't VGA-aware at all. I used to use iGuidance Europe until I heard that they weren't planning any further updates for Europe, so I moved over to Destinator 6 after hearing they had the new Navteq maps covering Ireland. The resolution difference (wrt text and the display) is huge - iGuidance definitely supports VGA but I'm not so sure about Destinator now... Or is it settable via an option?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: