Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - JUST GOT NEW 910 MOUNT BUT STILL NO GOOD!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

JUST GOT NEW 910 MOUNT BUT STILL NO GOOD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: JUST GOT NEW 910 MOUNT BUT STILL NO GOOD! Reply with quote

Just got my new mount for my 910 that tomtom sent me and it seems it is worse than the original one. It is not as tight on the ball and socket as the original one when I tighten it up also the power still cuts off when I go over a bump and again feels like it is not a tight fit as it should be!.

The only way I can see to make an improvment is to have an extension arm that sticks out from underneath the mount and supports the front of the 910 as it is "front" heavy and will bounce more without a support thereby causing a make and break contact as it does now!.

This is my second 910 and am not happy with it or the previous one. Both refused to power up at times and needed a reset which I didn't have the paperclip or anything small with me to use on it early hours of the morning stuck in a city centre with over a hundred miles to get home.

Also it took 15 minutes to get a sat-lock on a couple of journeys I made when I headed for home, No I don't have one of those windscreens!. With these and a few other problems I am taking it back to get a refund to PC world where they I must say have been very good to deal with and gave me a further 28 days when they exchanged mine before.

I have had the original tomtom and a 700 without any problems at-all. I think I will wait untill they sort out these problems in a couple of months time and see if the "new" batch is better but I think they will have to redesign the mounting on both the mount and the connection on the main unit to take the weight.

Derrick
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use the home software to download the latest firmware and this will stop it turning off when going over a bump.

2) Are you turning the lock on the mount fully, ie you get two clicks, i have had two mounts and never had a problem with it drooping (had the odd power off but that was probably due to my driving)

3) If you drive off before the satnav has got a lock then it will take a lot longer to get a fix, my old garmin unit could take upto 45 minutes whilst i was on the move to get a fix. My 910 seems to get one after a few minutes, but if i stayed stationary it will get a lock in seconds.

I hope some of the above is of use.

Regards

Peter
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above it will take a lot longer to get a sat lock if you move off with out one hopefully this will be sorted when gpsfix is released.

The power proplem has been fixed or bypassed as some will say by the latest filmwere update
internetpilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is disappointing to hear. I just recently bought a 700 and the mount is rock solid, no power off problems (and the 700 does have that feature), and I get a sat lock before I can back my car out of the garage (less than 10 seconds and under a modern house roof).

What did TomTom do to the X10 series? This is all very disappointing to hear, as it severely limits my future upgrade paths. I thought the X10 had a better sat receiver in it? Seems to me like TomTom should go back to their old mount design, as it doesn't seem to move even a mm when driving down the road.
newuser55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not good news as I currently waiting for my replacement mount to arrive. The original one is next to useless. If the second one is also ineffective I am considering superglueing one of them in the correct position, which you should not have to do bith a brand new bit of kit!!
DrMips
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 910 locks really quickly. It should be faster at locking than the 700. You should also get more satellites and be able to drive in built up areas without losing the lock. I live in Spain in a built up town. With my old Sirf II Navman I could not get more than 2 satellites outside my flat. With my 910 I get 7 satellites in about 30 seconds.

I recommend the update to 6.11. With my TomTom switched OFF, every time I go over a bump, it turns itself ON!!! Nice to see they a reversed the problem, literally!!! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: