Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGO user manual
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGO user manual
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the whole of Europe you can buy TTN5 Western Europe on SD card for £179.99.

I don't think that iGO is better than TTN5, at least not yet. At the moment there are two good things about it - the automatic GPS port detection and the multiple "travel via" points.

I'm still puzzled by the need to have the map and the cockpit views in iGO which are almost identical, I don't like the software taking over the hardware buttons, the map controls are all over the place and almost impossible to operate in the car without a stylus. The software generally doesn't have a solid, uniform feel in terms of the GUI design. These guys also commited a cardinal sin of confusing the customers with too many controls.

Having said that I'm immensly impressed that a small group of engineers (albeit having a well-known PDA games company in the background) created what in the next version promises to present a real alternative to TomTom Navigator. As far as I know this software is going into several PNDs from different manufacturers will be very interesting to see.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm still puzzled by the need to have the map and the cockpit views in iGO which are almost identical, I don't like the software taking over the hardware buttons, the map controls are all over the place and almost impossible to operate in the car without a stylus. The software generally doesn't have a solid, uniform feel in terms of the GUI design. These guys also commited a cardinal sin of confusing the customers with too many controls.

I think that their implementation of the cockpit and map views which can be swapped at the press of hardware button 4 is brilliant. By default cockpit view is the 3D view with the route information and map view is 2D view without the route information.

Which map controls are you having problems operating? The majority are mapped to hardware buttons, zoom in and out, rotate left and right, tilt up and down, clear the view lock to revert to automatic zoom, switch between map 2D and cockpit 3D and finally one for route information.

I can understand you not liking all the hardware buttons mapped, but one is actually mapped to minimise iGO which takes you straight to the Today screen where you can have all the button mapping you like. Just set one to return to iGO and problem solved.

The major complaints on this forum with TomTom 5 were with respect to the removal of controls compared with TomTom 3, now you are complaining about too many! Some people are never satisfied.

Regards

Roger
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:

I think that their implementation of the cockpit and map views which can be swapped at the press of hardware button 4 is brilliant.

You've missed my point which was that they are almost identical, therefore redundant, therefore unnecessary.
linknet wrote:

The major complaints on this forum with TomTom 5 were with respect to the removal of controls compared with TomTom 3, now you are complaining about too many! Some people are never satisfied.

I'm sorry I fail to see the logical link between somebody complaining about the differences in TTN3 and 5 and my opinion on iGO.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've missed my point which was that they are almost identical, therefore redundant, therefore unnecessary.

Ok, I take your point, they are almost identical but not quite, so there are differences. If you think that there should only be one view then which would you prefer and which would you dispense with?

Quote:
I'm sorry I fail to see the logical link between somebody complaining about the differences in TTN3 and 5 and my opinion on iGO.

Point taken, I should have finished with "You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Regards

Roger
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
Ok, I take your point, they are almost identical but not quite, so there are differences. If you think that there should only be one view then which would you prefer and which would you dispense with?

To be honest I don't know. The TTN has two views - the Navigator and the Map view. You can do all with the Nav view, only zoom in or zoom out, it's only to show your position and the route and there is very little chance of the user screwing things up.
The alternative approach is a combined view, where the same screen is used as the electronic map and the navigator.
The iGO Cockpit and Map are neither here nor there.

linknet wrote:

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I agree absolutely, but then what is TT's big secret? Good maps? Good routing? Plenty of software options? :-)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
I agree absolutely, but then what is TT's big secret? Good maps? Good routing? Plenty of software options? :-)

Or 'None of the above'?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Eldar wrote:

Or 'None of the above'?

indeedy, Mr Buxton
badgerdid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Igo Reply with quote

I love the look of it, but surely you all are missing two major points which i find a must in any gps software.

1. postcode search

tomtom has this i-go doesnt so its just navigate too, postcode, type postcode, house number, done - total of 4 steps

2. auto bluetooth on

tomtom auto turns my bluetooth on when it starts, I-go does not, so i have to turn it on manually and then start the I-go, thats another step i have to do.

If i-go could fix these points, and of course the POI thingy as we need the camera database, It would be proberbly the best out as the screen on my vga pda looks very very nice and its very fast too.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. iGO supports full 7 digit post codes for the UK

2. Auto BT on is one of the most hated features of TomTom. iGO did it right in NOT implementing this.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. auto bluetooth on

tomtom auto turns my bluetooth on when it starts, I-go does not, so i have to turn it on manually and then start the I-go, thats another step i have to do.

If you really want this feature then try this link:

http://www.pocketnavigation.de/board/tid1031037-sid.htm

I haven't tried it so can't say whether it works or not.

Regards

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. iGO supports full 7 digit post codes for the UK

Mine only supports 5 digit post codes for the UK !

How do you get it to support 7 digit searches ?

Regards

Roger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just enter the postcode, with a space after the third digit.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

that is very clever of you Mr Bendlin, what with you being a Yank and still knowing our obscure British ways....
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Is this some kind of in joke ?

I can only get 5 digit searching, although if you include some spaces you could call it 7, or as many as you like, digit searching Smile

Can you please explain further.

Regards

Roger
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the size of your UK map?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: