Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iQue Slow Route Calculation?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iQue Slow Route Calculation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamlip
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: iQue Slow Route Calculation? Reply with quote

My iQue seems to be taking much longer to calculate a route than it used to.

For example, a 38 mile journey around the outskirts of London took just over a minute to calculate.

Does this sound right? I sent the unit to Garmin but they returned it with a note saying that everything was in order.

Insights appreciated!

JL
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the roads available. London has a lot of interconnecting roads giving multiple ways of reaching the same destination, the iQue has to compute all of these under different scenario's, so in some locations, or some distances may take longer to calculate. Other factors could be the storage card is fragmented if you have been doing a lot of map downloads, or if you aren't using a storage card, it could be that you have other apps you have installed which is using up memory, or you have tweaked some of the routing options for shorter distances, putting these back to the normal settings may offer better performance.
Laze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed sometimes the IQue will pick different routes for the same journey. I am not certain yet, but I suspect there is some weighting given to different roads at different times of day. Possibly a different estimated speed value. The different routes for me flip between a longer dual carridgeway, or a short A road through the city. The dual carridgeway is quicker when the traffic is bad. So far the IQue has always picked the "correct" route.

If there are complexities like this built in that might explain differences in calculation times.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it calculating different routes for the same journey on repeated journeys, I'd very much doubt it will be doing a time issue, because I haven't heard of any company doing routing by time as they cannot guarantee what roads would be sniled up in rush hour and what won't. If anything it could be that you've decided not to take the route it's suggested and it's re-calculating the whole route based on the last recalculation, and this has been different in re-occuring journeys perhaps.
Laze
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am at a loss to explain why the routes vary if there is no extra information. I admit I have only had the IQue for a couple of weeks, so I have not done the route often enough to be sure which way the IQue picks at what times.

If you are interested in trying it set 2 way points
start = TQ 15478 88317 end = ST 60985 82897
set your position to be start (in the GPS page you can hit new location and select the waypoint from the map)

Then route to the end waypoint.

I find normaly the route is down the A312 to the M4 - then up the M4 to Bristol, however sometimes it is A312 A40 M25 M4
The 2 times it has been A40 M25 M4 were both at times of day when the A312 is very slow. (the route planning is set to 'fastest')

I will keep trying this route and see if I can come to any more certain conclusion.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: