Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Destinator 6 Reply with quote

Has anyone received a copy of destinator 6 yet. If so please could I have your first impressions as I am looking at moving over from TOMTOM.

My main points for consideration would be the routing options that are available as I am a truck driver and would like to have an option to set my speeds.

Also have you managed to upload the speed camera database yet and how is it working.

Thnaks for your help.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark

I have received and loaded my upgrade from Destinator PN to Destnator 6. I have only had it for a few days but it seems more stable on my iPAQ 4700 than PN. I like the new menu and navigation (around the software) system. There is an opion when your choice a location and calculate a route to choose either the Fastest or Shortest route but no way of entering speeds that I can find. The verbal instructions also seem better than PN and Emily (the English UK voice) has now learned how to say 'third' properly. In PN it always sound more like 'turd'. I have also not tried loading a camera database as I use a copy of AA Speedcare running in the forground of my PDA with Destinator giving voice instructions in the background. Seems to work OK.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. I shall be trying it out across Europe in a weeks time as I'm driving to Austria via France, Germany and Switzerland.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the prompt reply. One more question if I may.

What is the quality of the 3d display like, does it compair to TOMTOM if so how?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to always use the 2d view but having just looked at the 3d mode it looks OK. Not sure how it compares with TomTom as I have never used it. I'm sure there will be more screen images on the Destinator Europe website (http://www.destinatoreurope.com).

If not there is a German GPS Forum at http://www.pocketnavigation.de/board/index.php which has quite a section on Destinator 6. It is all in German but if you look for Destinator 6 for PDAs, the 3rd item from a chap called SAXI has a good selection of screen dumps. SAXI obviously works for Destinator Europe.

mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I like the look of the software and am amout ready to purchase. One final question if I may: Is there an option to route via a post code if so how many digits?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can get a route to a postcode and it accepts the full 7 digit code.

mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news. I will place my order then.

Many thanks, have a good trip.
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h5djr, if i may also ask a question. How current are the maps? Will D6 turn bluetooth on automatically (if using a BT gps) and does it keep the pda and backlight alive when running? I have PN for the USA and these are somethings that mark it down a bit for me. Thanks
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps for UK and Europe are Q1/2006. Not sure about the ability to turn on a bluetooth GPS. I use it in the car in a Brodit mount which supplies power and this keeps the screen live all the time. I have a Globalsat BT-338 GPS and I always switch this on manually first as I have it mounted on the armrest between the front seats in my A3.

I also often use my setup, which also has AA Speedcare for fixed cameras running in the foreground and Destinator running in the background just giving voice instructions.

Hope this is of help to you. I think Destinator 6 is a definite improvement over PN which I ran before upgrading.

efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, that helps. I will be considering D6 alongside Navigon 6 when thats released.
boardlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I'm a bit baffled by Destinator 6. I've been waiting for the VGA 3D display with street names, but either something is wrong with my pda (FS Loox 720), or the software is darn slow. The movement is REALLY jerky, it's really not usable for me. Compared to the fluid movement of TomTom, or even iGO (which is not as fluid as TomTom), it is a realy big disappointment. Any of you with VGA displays have this problem too?

Thanks!
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi broadlord. I've just tried setting my Destinator 6 to 3d mode and scrolling the map and it does not seem to want to scroll at all. I'm using it on a HP iPaq 4700. Personally I only ever use the 2d mode so it's not a problem to me but it certainly does not seem to work in 3d mode.

With Destinator PN, even in 2d mode I had to scroll the map very slowly or it would lock-up the PDA completely. Destinator 6 is much better but if I try and scroll a lot and quickly I can still make it freeze. What I asked Destinator support about this on Destinator PN they said it was to do with how the 4700 handles the screen.

boardlord
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

But I wasn't talking about browsing the map in 3D, but the 3D dislay while navigating. That is whats really jerky. It reminds me of when your computer is not strong enough for a game. It shouldn't be the hardware, because iGo and TomTom can achieve jerkyness free following of the position.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time I'm out in the car I will give it a try in 3d mode and see what happens.

bpmhutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Destinator 6 3D Mode Reply with quote

Hi

I'm running Destinator 6 on a Mio 168 and the 3D maps scroll very smoothly. The routing algorithm has certainly been tweaked for the better, it now finds my optimum route to work where Destinator PN gave same very strange roads! Love the full post code entry and the finger operated interface.

My only issue is that I can't load Text To Speech (TTS). It seems to have disappeared from the console!

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: