Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - May database does not use any of my updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

May database does not use any of my updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poacher
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike B,

Have just 'jumped across' from the other thread that was developing in a similar vein - Thanks to Robbrady for linking threads

Thank you for your most interesting explanation of your difficulties - the bit about 'explanations' in our submission files probably explains why my recent haven't been added - I added remarks about 'captured on the move / may asist to confirm another submission

Appears there may be merit in 'accepted submitters' supplemented by local / regional verifyers in the case of doubt / confusion

Happy to my bit in this regard in my part of the world

(I like strumble's idea about jpegs to confirm - please don't require it as a matter of course - bad enough trying to drive / input new cameras to Sat Nav / make 'phone call / talk to passengers - taking pictures as well might just attract attention to ourselves Smile

Looking forward to see how this develops

Poacher
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
I dislike the possibility of 'averaging out' the location. The only location of interest, is the correct one!
I would say that the only location of interest is the one that alerts you to danger so that you can verify your speed and driving conditions before you arrive at the "accident black spot".

strumble wrote:
I feel that many submissions may be made from details taken at speed!
I agree and in some cases this may be the only way to capture the camera.

strumble wrote:
Surely, this topic indicates the need for 'local verifiers' rather than using this 'hit and miss' method [10 submissions for one camera, one is correct and nine incorrect - using your listed method, it would result in an incorrect location]
Of course local verifiers would be great. But if 2 local verifiers capture the same camera and the position varies by 50m what do we do? No disrespect to anyone here, but 2 people taking readings at exactly the same point can easily result in different readings by as much as 50 metres. The same can be true of the same person using the same equipment at the same point on different days. This can be even less accurate if there is a building. tree or other obstruction in the way. I have seen this effect when Geocaching.

strumble wrote:
What a great topic with all these diagrams!
Will you make it possible for the ordinary person to include jpegs as we do in other forums. It is much easier to make a point!

You can by using the Img button. All you need is some space on the web somewhere to upload your images to. Most ISPs provide some form of webspace that you can use.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All you need is some space on the web somewhere to upload your images to. Most ISPs provide some form of webspace that you can use.

Or use ImageShack http://imageshack.us/ to upload a picture and then link back to it.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I also submitted a new Monitron location at N51.44597 W0.04261 (Intersection of Brockley Rise and Watman Road) but that hasn't appeared either.

The camera isn't there yet but the post, road markings and sensors are in place.

I'd be interested to know why that one isn't there if you can spare the time to check for me! - these new digital cameras are nasty, we don't want to miss any.

This is a wild stab in the dark here and I'm just guessing so bear with me.

The title of this forum is "Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database", do you think the reason it hasn't been included could be down to the fact that one essential piece of the picture is missing?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there are a number of threads querying why submissions have not been included in the database, can I just re-iterate that our primary aim here is to ensure the database remains a trusted resource and as such, quality and accuracy is paramount.

We have a number of projects and ideas in the pipeline to ensure this is so and wish to re-assure everyone who takes the time to submit data that we both value your input and are working to iron out the problems.

In the past the database was entirely manual which entailed wading through many hundreds of emails every day to extract the data and check for accuracy by comparing with other submissions. Whilst this worked in the early stages it could not cope with the huge number of submissions we now enjoy.

We are now in the midst of a major programme to automate as much of the administration as possible but the nature of the beast is such that human eyes are still needed to make judgment calls on certain reports.

I'm not excusing errors or occasions when data is not incorporated, just trying to explain that this is a complicated project and that we are 100% behind it and will continue to work to improve it Smile

A huge thanks again to all who take the time to report locations.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
if 2 local verifiers capture the same camera and the position varies by 50m what do we do? No disrespect to anyone here, but 2 people taking readings at exactly the same point can easily result in different readings by as much as 50 metres

FYI, none of my submissions are ever "raw" captures.

I always save them as favourites first. Then I check the position on the TomTom's map for position, and also move the spot to the centre of the carriageway, and finally re-save it in my "New Cameras" POI category (with a description in the name).

Probably 75% are also double-checked either on the return journey or by driving the same route before the end of the month when I would send them in (usually just too late to catch that month's update! . Rolling Eyes )
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MikeB wrote

Of course local verifiers would be great. But if 2 local verifiers capture the same camera and the position varies by 50m what do we do? No disrespect to anyone here, but 2 people taking readings at exactly the same point can easily result in different readings by as much as 50 metres.

A local verifier should be an individual, two local verifiers would be a disaster! Once the local verifier had verified a location, it should be locked!

A verifier could be responsible for a County, or an area with perhaps no more than 100/150 locations! [Could be difficult in Rural areas!]
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartm wrote:
The title of this forum is "Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database", do you think the reason it hasn't been included could be down to the fact that one essential piece of the picture is missing?

Hmmm, I submitted the GPS location of a new camera which will record people's speed so it can be included in the database which people will load on their PocketPC.

I give up. What is the piece that is missing? Laughing Confused

Maybe it's because there is no actual camera on the pole yet (I can assure you that it does look exactly like one of the new type Monitron/Redspeed camera installation sites) or perhaps no one has verified the location?

I'm just worried that it will go live in a week or so and it will be a camera which is not in the database until next month.
PaperRustler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been re-directed to this thread by the powers that be: June database does not update any of the cameras that I have notified the database have been moved, replaced or are new, as well it now includes a new one on the M11 southbound that was deleted two months ago, only the white lines are on the road!!! Comeon guys give us some credit!!! Some idiot obviously thinks that a series of white lines = camera, WRONG. This one was in the roadworks that they had there 2 years ago. I understand that you have mountains of data to trawl through, but how about "LOCKING" camera positions when they have been proved. By the way I have just sent 3 submissions through tonight.

Best regards and keep up the good work!!!
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointed here by the other thread, why not have a poi category called "verify?" and then we can verify it. The amount of times i verify locations that have no speed set on them and then come on here and enter the camera id and the speed for it or even email richard with the speeds etc for each camera location i come across that isnt on the database.

I understand that you get a lot of cameras to verify and add, but come on nothing has been added in months (imho) and it gets quite disheartening to see all the camera locations you have added/removed/updated not being done.
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of 'locking' locations worries me a bit. On the A46 near Cotgrave 2 pairs of SPECS cameras were erected, one pair for each direction. These cameras were all added to the DB and the locations were good. Then before they went live both of the northbound cameras moved.

One pole was removed to allow for a junction widening, the other was just taken down and the camera relocated on the opposite cameras pole (2 on one pole) OK these are not big moves, but they are moves. If the camera locations were locked then updates would not be possible and these changes could not be reflected in the DB.

Better to flag the confirmed locations and apply a weighting system so that they can only be changed after a representative number of submissions. This may be a subtle change from locked but it is significant to a DB I feel.

As for local verifiers. I'll sign up for that. The A52 from Radcliffe to Nottingham is in serious need of verifying. I almost got it right one month, then it all went to crap the next month. I'm working on a 'definitive' submission.

How do people get cameras on the wrong side of a dual carriageway? Don't they check them?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:
All this talk of 'locking' locations worries me a bit. On the A46 near Cotgrave 2 pairs of SPECS cameras were erected,
-snip-
One pole was removed to allow for a junction widening, the other was just taken down and the camera relocated

I don't see this as a big problem, so long as the submission process isn't totally automated (like it seems to have been heading towards).

A submission with a note saying something like "they've dismantled the pole and moved it to a new location xx yards away - see my ov2 file." should bear a lot more weight than just a capture of a "new camera here".
It just needs a flexible decision process.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:
I almost got it right one month, then it all went to crap the next month.

Yeah, that's what is getting annoying...
Funks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I should have posted this here and not on the other thread that links here. Sorry my mistake Crying or Very sad

Would just like to say:

I dont want to "Knock PocketGPSWorld" but the May 2006 release on the TEMP cameras is missing the M40 J9/J10 changes I notified on the day(s) they changed (or very soon after), and I'd be suprised if others did not do the same; making the changes a "certaintity" .

I was so confident about their inclusion, that I deleted completely the April update that I'd modified on my TomTom! (Note to self, make a back-up next time!!) Rolling Eyes

Reading the other posts here, I'm certain that the guys "at the sharp end" maintaining the database will have things sorted for the June release. Have a little faith guys, it will be perfect one day! :D Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, there's a lot of midnight oil being burnt here Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: