Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wayfinder Trial version...First thoughts, long post.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wayfinder Trial version...First thoughts, long post.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Wayfinder Trial version...First thoughts, long post. Reply with quote

HI,

I thought I would share my first experiences of the Wayfinder Navigator sat-nav program with you, here we go.

Downloaded the software on Thursday night via the wayfinder web site, to my Nokia N70 which has been flashed with the generic V5 firmware.

Fairly easy and straight forward to download to the phone using GPRS, and following the web page instructions.

As soon as you run Wayfinder it automatically does a GPRS connection and this stays on throughout the journey or while Wayfinder is running.You can turn this off I think in the menu.

Took a bit of time just going through the menu system to find where everything was, but not too long.
As this is the trial version you can't download any maps to your phone, which does reduce the amount of data you are sending/receiving so should save some money, if you decide to buy the full version.

I clicked on the search menu and typed in the address where I would be going today (Friday) and saved it to favorites. Then clicked navigate and it worked out the route which I saved to the phone, nice idea at least then you can just call up the route from the card or phone memory.

Used it today called up the saved route and started the trek.

All worked very well, I had the Nokia N70 conected to the BT handsfree car kit and the BT GPS receiver(Holox BT321, 32 channel). I have a Brodit proclip and holder, I also have a genuine Nokia in car charger for the N70 as well. (This is important as the output of the car charger is 5.7V/890mA)
The set-up was very stable all the way there with no lock-ups or drop outs. The new firmware seems to have done the trick!

I left it on the guide view, (which is just a symbol of the next junction and a distance gauge for how far away the next junction is.) for just about the whole journey and maybe switched to map view 3 or 4 times.
The route took me down the M11 and it was going all the way to the M25, but I came off at Junction 7 and started going down the A414.
For the first 1.5 miles all I got from Wayfinder was "off-Track, do a U-turn here"
I did have the auto re-route function on so it should have done exactly that !! I was manually pressing re-route as well, so the GPRS symbol was going mad!, it did get there like I say after about 1.5miles I probably should have left it alone and it would of worked itself out.

The voice instructions are excellent, crisp and clear and the womans voice is rather nice as it goes Smile
They are also very exact, going round a roundabout you get
"in 100yrds take the 3rd exit then as your just about to get to the exit she pipes up again " exit here"
Very impressed.

I can't say anything about the maps as I didn't use them apart from the 3 or 4 times I flicked to them for a few secs, all within about 1 mile so shouldn't have needed to load any new map data.

What I can say is, it's only in 2D and it's zoomed way out.
There were no speed camera warnings on the map or on the guide view, don't know if there should be or if you have to subscribe, not that good for me.

The return journey was just as easy, put in my home address selected "navigate to and in about 20secs route was sorted, still wanted to take me along M25 so I came back up theA414 again this time it re-routed perfectly.

When I set off I cleared all the call timers.

These are the amounts of data sent and received on this journey.

Travelling down to Benfleet from Lincoln:-

Data sent 24.37KB
Data received 227.9KB (may have been the flicking to the maps and then the re-route saga!)

Return journey travelling the same route:-

Data sent 7.77KB
Data received 49.42KB

Total data sent 32.14KB
Total data received 277.32KB

Making a grand total of 309.46KB for that 1 return journey

Now I'm on T-Mobile and the cost for GPRS is 0.75p per KB or £7.50 per MB

Therefore that 1 journey has cost me £2.33

When I downloaded the software last night I had also cleared all the counters.
The total software download and me playing and planning the route last night came to a total of 1.62MB!!!!!!

So that little lot cost me £12.15!!!

Have checked with T-mobile and these figures are correct.

So to download the software and do 1 trip has cost me about £15.00and thats not using any maps!

Way too expensive, I'm a service engineer and do about 40k miles per year, hate to think what the cost would be.
It's a good software package but just not good enough to cost that sort of money, you just wouldn't be able to use it on every route.
Which is where the other types win as you don't need to program in a route, just let it scroll along as your driving this is great with TTM5 as it will still alert you to speed camera positions.
Having used Route 66 and TTM5, I think these are better and you can leave it on the 3D map view which I do prefer.
I will not be buying Wayfinder the GPRS is way too expensive.
I did ask T-Mobile if they did GPRS bundles, they do here they are!

£2 - 1MB download per month
£5.00 - 6MB
£10 - 12MB

I didn't find any of this on the Web site when I ordered the phone, wish I had sorted it before trying this software, wife will not be too happy when she sees the bill, there again nor will I. Rolling Eyes
Well it's a lesson learned and at least it was only one trip, very worrying if you used this for a month and then got the bill 8O

Yes it could be cheaper with buying the bundles, but to be on the safe side you would need to pay£5.00 a month for 6MB of data.
Fine, but over 1 year thats £30 which would pay for upgraded maps on the other Mobile phone sat-nav programs.
You may say that you get more up to date maps using this so whats the difference?
The difference is the network get the money for the GPRS and NOT the software developers or the mapping companies.

Just my thoughts and opinions, If I've missed some really obvious things then let me know, like I say I've only just installed and used it, which is what most people would do.
No doubt I've made some right cock-ups, but I hope helps someone.

Regards

Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope I'm wrong on those GPRS prices!!

If so then this system is pretty good, but just need to confirm why the speed cameras did not show on the route, used tomtom on this route previously and there are a fair few places where the alerts start ringing!!

Cheers Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just spoke to a very helpful lady at T-Mobile.

Changed my plan so I will now get unlimited GPRS mamimum 2GB a month!!!!

Also last nights loading and playing with Wayfinder actually cost me ......£1.10

So I don't know who I spoke to earlier or if the data counter is working correctly on my phone, but thats much better!!

Will use the Wayfinder over the next few days and let you know what I think, also on the WAYFINDERLIFE forum.

Cheers Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: First Impression- 3 days use update Reply with quote

Have now used Wayfinder for a few days and I have to say it's growing on me!

Have used it alot to get the most out of the 5 day trial and it's got me to the destination exactly. Some parts of the routes I've known some I haven't, but it's been very good.

When using TTM5 or Route 66 I've tended to follow the instructions upto a point then think hang on, looked at the route on the map and then go my own way.

The last few times I've used Wayfinder, I was going to do the same thing, but to give it a test just followed it, and it's gone the way I would go anyway.

I've now changed my price plan, on T-mobile to the WEB&WALK package which gives unlimited web access, subject to a fair use policy, which is a maximum of 2Gb a month!!

Therefore the route downloads will not cost me anything extra above my monthly price plan, if I buy this.

I only really use the guide view, which I didn't think I would like, having been used to the 3D scrolling view of the other software, but I have to say it's very good. As it shows the name of the street you are on and the one that you will be turning onto.
It also means that once the route has been sent to the phone it's there complete using guide view, it's only on map view that it keeps using GPRS to upload the new maps.

I would like to be able to check the route it supplies, but not been able to do that as yet.
What do I mean by that?
You get the route sent to the phone and then off you go following instructions, I personally would like to goto the map view and just scroll along it and see where it's going. I've tried to do this but when you try and zoom into the map destination point it just takes you to the start position. Maybe me doing something wrong again, will have to check it out.

Having got the new price plan, for my phone, this software does look very good, The maps are updated 4 times per year for no extra charge, and this includes speed cameras, I have no idea how good or up to date these are as they are not shown on the trial version, If they are shown then they must be well out of date as I've been past lots of speed cameras and had no warning at all!!

This is another area where TTM5 and Navicore are maybe better as they can use the pocketgpsworld speed camera downloads. With this you have updates every month.

So still looking and will post something here with which one I eventually buy.

Cheers Ian
jamf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: wayfinder and speed camera Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I am new to all of this terms ... gps, receivers, navigation softwares etc. Nonetheless, i have only recently upgraded free of charge to a nokia 6280, only to find out that Wayfinder is the only navigator software available for it...or isnt it?

secondly, does the Wayfinder software have speed camera database like the conventional tomtom etc

please help me as this defines whether i keep my recently acquired mobile handset (still got about 7 days of the cooling off period)

Cheers folks
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It looks as though you will only be able to use the Wayfinder Satellite Navigation program on the Nokia 6280.

To use any of the others your phone needs to have a symbian operating system.

www.symbian.co.uk

that site will give you a list of all symbian phones.

If it's a free upgrade I would be tempted to get a symbian mobile phone so as to give you the most choice of Sat-Nav software to use.

Having played with all of the programs now I have to say that Wayfinder is very good. It does have the camera alerts in as long as you've planned a route.

The GPS-receiver is the global positioning system receiver which is the little device which picks up the satellite signal and sends them to the phone which is connected wirelessly via bluetooth.

It's very difficult to recommend any of the programs as they all will get you from A-B just depends which one you feel better with.

If you don't have a bluetooth gps receiver then all of the packages can be bought with one included.

I would have to say TomTom mobile 5 is probably the easiest to use very good user interface, and you can just switch it on without planning a route and it will alarm for speed camera positions. Whci can be downloaded from this web site when you become a subcriber.

One major problem is that you can't try any before you buy apart from Wayfinder.
Unless you have a friend who has the software your stuck unless you can find a store or exhibition that is demonstrating the software.

I personally would get a symbian phone, so that I did have the choice of ALL the programs that are available. If it's a free upgrade you don't have to limit yourself to one product just change the phone.

www.tomtom.com
www.66.com
www.wayfinder.co.uk

Check out the web sites, see what phones are compatible and choose one that you like and works with all the programs

Cheers Ian
jamf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wiggy25

Many thanks for your prompt reply.
I will look around again to see if i can aquire (for free Smile ) any other handset that has at least the functionality of the nokia 6280 as i like what i have seen so far.

Although if i am limited to only the wayfinder, i am not sure now bcos at least wayfinder has everything like other sat-nav software...including the SPEED camera database...so long as journey is planned.

Thank you all the same.
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfinder's new version will work on mostly any Java enabled phone not only Symbian. You can go to their webiste www.wayfinder.com and have a look what phones supported.

6280 is definately in the list
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try version 6, however was impressed with previous version as well.

Does it now supports full uk postcodes?
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it does have full post code search.

My 5day trial has just ended. It is very good, just don't know which to go for TTM5 or Wayfinder.

Difficult choices.

Cheers Ian
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update,

Have changed my mobile phone price plan to include WEB&WALK, which gives me unlimited GPRS per month.

After sending E-mails to customer support they have given me an extra weeks trial....this week!

Will try it all week and post my final thoughts, later.

Wayfinder are now using Cyclops for the speed camera data base, and Traffic-Master for the traffic update info.

This now has to be one of the best systems to re-route you away from traffic jams and the Cyclops data base is very good.

Ok, you have to subscribe to these two services but €24.99 for Traffic-Master and €34.99 for Speed camera data base is pretty good, cheaper than TT.

Thoughts so far have been mixed, sometimes can take a long time to calculate a new route if you go off the original track, and the obvious one is lack of GPRS signal, although this hasn't happened to me yet.

What is excellent is the ability to calculate routes on the internet and send them to the phone, along with favourites and routes, you can also pre-load maps which should make things cheaper and quicker.

The customer service is amazing, I've sent E-mails at 17.00 and got replies at 20.00 and later!!!

Just an update will post back after my trial has ended.

Cheers Ian
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think paying for this information is not good.

Route66 and Navicore provide this for free.

Also, non-mobile based system starting to offer TMC support and cost only about 100 quid more.

Alghough i was really impressed with Wayfinder, I think it is a bit greedy to charge that much money, Subscription + GPRS + Speed Cameras + Traffic update.

Obviously you can buy a lifetime package and if you only use it rarely it may save you more, but I still think it is an expensive Gadget and there are too many dependecies GSM,GPRS + cost.

But of course in future when the service is more reliable and prices are cheaper (only t-mobile offers unlimited GPRS, and when you going abroad it would be cheaper perhaps to fly easyjet) it would be a great option.

That's my 2 cents.
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is greedy to charge for everything.

I've used Route 66 and to be honest I didn't find the traffic info much use it was too out of date.
You can't use the speed camera data base with Route 66 either.

Not used Navicore so couldn't say how good it is.
All of these systems use GPRS to get the traffic data so there will always be a charge to use it.

I have no idea who they all use for the traffic data, but Wayfinder are now going to use Traffic Master for their data which has to be good news, for those of us in the UK.

So it's not that bad when you take everything into account.

€99 for lifetime software with the 4 yearly map updates, €24.90 for traffic info and €34.99 for Speed cameras.

It's not that bad.

TomTom mobile 5 is about £180-£200 on top of that you still have to pay for Speed cameras and Traffic updates and then you have to pay £40 for 1 map update a year.

Route 66 and Navicore are much cheaper but you can't get updated maps with Route66 nor use speed camera warnings.

Navoicore looks like the best alternative but from reviews from people using it it's not that good.

It's a very difficult choice and I think it will be all down to personal preference and what each individual feels more happy using.

But you are right it's still expensive, but hey it's a gadget Laughing

Cheers Ian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiggy25 wrote:
You can't use the speed camera data base with Route 66 either.....

Route 66 and Navicore are much cheaper but you can't get updated maps with Route66 nor use speed camera warnings.
Wiggy25, I must protest the PocketGPSWorld database works fine with Route66 and you can get spoken alerts as well, its fine on my device, I acknowledge the database was only released in this format earlier in the week, but its fine in use. Mke
wiggy25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, didnt know that you could use the data base.

I tried Route66 and at that time you couldn't use the data base.

You still can't get map updates though, or has that also changed?

Cheers Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: