Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware release 3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware release 3.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
ever the politician lester.

I try!

matb wrote:
my point is you have had to "presume" beta onwards and therefore you cannot give an informed answer.

Well you could put it like that - but voice timings have only been mentioned - and really all he asked about was 3.10 - to answer that doesn't need any details about what he's running now. So you don't really have to assume that much.

I understood the question quite easily, without needing to refer to the exact specific versions and details he was currently using. Improved voice timings have for the first time (that I can see) been mentioned as an improvement in beta 2.82. I got that all he really wanted to know was whether 3.10 incorporated that change, or not.

matb wrote:
this has been mentioned before where people have asked for help.

It has, when they reference behaviour that they're encountering with their unit.

He just asked about 3.10 - how does knowing what he's currently running affect how that question is answered?

matb wrote:
it is and was not a direct dig but simply a way of ascertaining facts.

Indeed.

I'm merely striving for some balance, and attempting to point out that the request for the "facts" in this case don't actually have anything salient to contribute to his question - beyond a general "You must provide more details in order to benefit the community" type thing.

matb wrote:
was he not detailing current "expected" behaviour in the "improved" voice prompts. who knows ?

He simply asked whether 3.10 carried over the "improved" voice timings that were introduced earlier.

A fair question, that doesn't require any specific details of what he's currently running, that's all.

Not meaning to be picky, but this forum seems to be going overboard on conformity and having to provide all details. Now the details may be of benefit where they're pertinent. But at other times, it just comes across as being rather demanding.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:

if you added a signature to the bottom of your inputs, informing us all what you are running now, we would be able to give you an informed answer.
it has always been said on here that the voice prompts should be used in conjunction with the screen. after all would you step onto a crossing, because the green man was showing, without looking first Question

To be fair I'm guilty of not putting enough information in my post. I made an assumption that inferring to the"improved" prompts I was referring to the V2.82 (and above) firmware where the release notes referred to the voice prompts as improved.

Looking at the screen is good (I usually do), but having to rely on it is bad. I would prefer a quick glance at the screen to see the upcoming turn and not having to keep my eyes fixed on it to discern if it means the left turn I'm just approaching, the one a little bit after that or the one further up the road. Everyone has their own preferences but these "improved" prompts drove me mad when driving through a few small villages with multiple turns recently. If I wanted to navigate soley using a map I would have used my paper based one!

Lester_Burnham wrote:

In fairness, he simply asked about whether 3.10 had the "improved" voice timing prompts (presumably as per 2.82 onwards). I'm not getting why him splurging his details would affect the answer to that question, or necessarily take that point of discussion forward.

Were he detailing some current behaviour of his i3 and asking whether this was typical, expected, or erroneous I could more understand your point.

I've got to agree. I loath Twisted Evil these damn signatures that seem to have become a cancer in all Internet forums. I can see they *can* be useful, but in 99% of the cases I really don't give a damn what stuff you own, what firmware you've got running on it, its colour, or the age of your cat.

Nearly every signature on any forum seems to be a bizarre e-knob measuring boast. Got a problem with your washing machine? Well lets checkout the 300 page thread over at ilovewashingmachines.com. Why is the thread 300 pages long? Because everyone needs a signature that's twice as long as their damn posting!!! arrrgh!!! 8O

Drivel like this is not useful to my situation and nor do I want to read it ad-ininitum on every post:

Hotpoint WD450 (Arctic Silver)
Economy Mode
1,800 rpm spin
2 1/2 dry cycle
Powder: Persil (Non-Biological)
Conditioner: Comfort (Jasmine Breeze)
Anti-Limescale: Tesco (Own brand)
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now in WAAS mode and, having driven about 50 miles today have had no problems at all. The lockups have magically disappeared.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:
...or the age of your cat...

she's going on 7 if you must know but she got hit by a car last night and is currently at the vets running up what i expect will be a rather large bill... i can only assume that the driver who hit her was too busy messing with their sat nav to notice...

however, i digress :D
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:

To be fair I'm guilty of not putting enough information in my post. I made an assumption that inferring to the"improved" prompts I was referring to the V2.82 (and above) firmware where the release notes referred to the voice prompts as improved.

Drivel like this is not useful to my situation and nor do I want to read it ad-ininitum on every post:

Hotpoint WD450 (Arctic Silver)
Economy Mode
1,800 rpm spin
2 1/2 dry cycle
Powder: Persil (Non-Biological)
Conditioner: Comfort (Jasmine Breeze)
Anti-Limescale: Tesco (Own brand)

Stop!

now f/w 3.1 is it working as it should Question
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:

if you added a signature to the bottom of your inputs, informing us all what you are running now, we would be able to give you an informed answer.

I forgot. The other reason I dislike the signature method is that the biggest problem with using your signature to detail your current GPS, its software, and current GPS signal strength in relation to your current post is that the signature field is (for want of a better word) dynamic. For example:

1) You make a post regarding firmware version 2.2 in March 2006. Your signature refers to you running version 2.2 firmware.

2) In April 2006 you update your firmware to version 2.5. The world needs to know this important information so you update your signature to reflect that you are running version 2.5

3) In May 2006 Mr Bloggs is running version 2.2 firmware but is having problems and so searches the forum for 2.2 issues. He checks your March 2006 post out and it appears to be completely unrelated because you are referring to similar issues but appear to be running version 2.5 firmware because that's what it says in your signature. So if version 2.5 was the latest firmware it may be fair for Mr Bloggs to assume that these issues haven't been fixed or at the very least be a bit bemused as to what you are posting about.

4) In June 2006 you stop using your i3 and buy a Tom Tom. Hasty update of the signature and now all of your postings appear to relate to the Tom Tom. So why are you posting about version 2.2 firmware of your Tom Tom in a Garmin forum!?!? Well that's the way it's going to appear.......

If there's a need to mention kit, firmware, etc then its more useful to put it in the body of the post where it will remain unchanged and valid for everyone to read, a historical record if you like. Your signature, however, is volatile and dynamic and may bear no relation to the original posting and is only useful for information on what you are using this instant.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After few days of testing I have had one freezing incident at the beginning of calculation when I first started using it. No hitches since with no delays on the 3D screen. Also seems to be working perfectly with ASH's software and MaFt's POIs. No extra languages installed and voice vesrion 2.0. My i3 is one of the ones with the memory cards. I have to say that I prefer the earlier voice prompts with the newer firmware versions as it gives time to plan for the turn and I am used to glancing at the screen before turning anyway. Still the best £160 I have paid EVER. Can't wait for the voice modification to start.....ASH ?????????? All in all it seems that previous problems with FW updates have been resolved (at last for me).
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a couple of 200 mile round trips over the lact couple of days.

Navigation mode seems to be working fine, maps a little slow to refresh but I can live with this.

View map mode, no more white screens but the map still freezes. The green banner at the top updates as does the speed and direction indicators but the map itself doesn't refresh for up to 30 seconds. I'm using 3d views on Version 8 mapping
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my experience with V3.1 hasn't really been positive at all - have had freezing several times and there seems to be a great deal of lag, have already turned before the i3 tells me to on many occasions and often its going one way when I'm going another. Not impressed.

Got an email today re my complaint about having to select "England":
Quote:
Thank you for your email.

The highest complement a customer can give a company is to be concerned enough to offer suggestions for improvement of a product. We appreciate you comments & opinions regarding our products.

I have forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested on customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as
yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future GARMIN products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be occur, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions

I guess many of you will recognise the format?
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i got this reply about that:

Quote:
The multi language options is something that was requested by a significant number of customers therefore was implemented by our software engineers.

Still not very helpful
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
After few days of testing I have had one freezing incident at the beginning of calculation when I first started using it. No hitches since with no delays on the 3D screen. Also seems to be working perfectly with ASH's software and MaFt's POIs. No extra languages installed and voice vesrion 2.0. My i3 is one of the ones with the memory cards. I have to say that I prefer the earlier voice prompts with the newer firmware versions as it gives time to plan for the turn and I am used to glancing at the screen before turning anyway. Still the best £160 I have paid EVER. Can't wait for the voice modification to start.....ASH ?????????? All in all it seems that previous problems with FW updates have been resolved (at last for me).

Check out:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Everything you need to create custom voices for an i3, as long as it has a TF card not mapping etc. on internal memory. The last link works and includes full instructions plus Ash's earlier link to the utilities.
(A)nd
(P)roud
-----------------------------------
i3, V8, V2.7, WAAS EGNOS.
Audio V2, Simpsons Voice File
-----------------------------------
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootle wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:

Check out:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Everything you need to create custom voices for an i3, as long as it has a TF card not mapping etc. on internal memory. The last link works and includes full instructions plus Ash's earlier link to the utilities.

Many thanks Pootle. I was already really impressed by your post but I am waiting for the final version of the different voices and the software to be posted on this site. Wink I am too lazy for a DIY job.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using FW 3.10 without the gpx speed cam files?

I'm going to try reverting to the original files to see if that helps.
waynelisa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:

Ideal Firmware 2.82 with Custom POI Functionality fixed. how u fix it or where downlod fix for 2.82
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynelisa wrote:
trevf wrote:

Ideal Firmware 2.82 with Custom POI Functionality fixed. how u fix it or where downlod fix for 2.82

for download of f/w 2.82 beta see my sticky at start of forum.
can't fix it, it just lists poi's nearest first instead of in groups. to most not an issue.

2.82 First

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: