Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Firmware release 3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware release 3.10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I've tried 3.1 and have found that the Screen Refresh as slow as 2.9 and 3.0.

I did some timings (how sad am I?!?!?!):

Arriving at a bridge... I arrived 5 seconds before the i3 showed me at the bridge.

Passing Slip Road to Fleet Services... I arrived 7 seconds before i3 showed me at slip road.

Passing Slip road out of Fleet Services... I arrived at the same time i3 showed me there.

Passing Slip Road off of M3 at J5... I arrived 3 seconds before i3 showed me at slip road.

Passing Slip Road on M3 at J5... I arrived 6 seconds after i3 showed me arriving!!!

Coming to a stop at Traffic lights... The i3 took 2 seconds whilst I was stationary before it showed my speed as 0 MPH.

In short 3.1 is still no good. I have passed my findings to garmin, please do likewise if you find any problems.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried 3.10 on a 190 mile round trip today, no problems whatsoever, I did persist with 3.00 from day 1 with only a couple of white screens etc, so maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

3.10 seemed to me like the unit had been freed up, cant explain exatly what I mean, it just seemed to be a tad more responive.

I have to repeat todays trip 3 more times this week Sad , I will try out 3.10 on these journeys too.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used version 3.1 all day today over a distance of about 40 miles. In map mode, I have had frequent lock ups almost always at major junctions.

In nav mode it sems absolutely fine. I cannot see any difference between version 3 and 3.1.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loaded 3.10 (in the interest of testing for the user pop) on the way to work had lots of delays/lock ups, was running in 3Dmode, eggnogs on. Part way, pulled over and switched to track up, still slow to track the map (at one point I was heading off to the right?).

On the way home, I switched to standard sats and track up and got it to navigate home - I was impressed, tracked quickly and not one lock up.

Will leave as is and try map view on the way to work and see if it locks on the way.

If anyone else has loaded any version above 2.70 (the only one) then it would be helpful to see if its the eggnog or normal sats.

Above is a repeat of my post in v3.0 thread. Thanks to matb for reminding me to post here. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

additional info:
Loaded via manual update, voice is at v2.00 fw at v3.10.

will try for a few days and report back

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have switched to WAAS mode to see if it makes any difference.
waynelisa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used it today on WAAS mode and no problems at all, ill keep trying to see if any probs over the next few days.
richard5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you have any problems with your unit after installing all the extra language packs as i had see above post?

Apart from it speaking to me in some foreign language when I first used it (had to reset to English) no.

Used it on a 50 mile round trip today no lock ups or anything un-toward happened at all :D

Richard
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you have any problems with your unit after installing all the extra language packs as i had see above post?

I can,t understand the rush to install foriegn language support files when you are never going to need them.I only speak & understand English so why clutter up the I3,s memory with stuff you are not going to use Sad
I am baffled by its a free update & I am going to have it even if I don,t need it aproach.
No junkRun lite run safe Laughing
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming 3.10 still has the "improved" voice prompts? The really useless ones where the i3 tells you to turn left. This left turn will be about 1/2 mile away (possible exaggeration) where upon there will be 3 left turns close together and then you have to scrutinise the display for exactly which turn it is.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:
I'm assuming 3.10 still has the "improved" voice prompts? The really useless ones where the i3 tells you to turn left. This left turn will be about 1/2 mile away (possible exaggeration) where upon there will be 3 left turns close together and then you have to scrutinise the display for exactly which turn it is.

if you added a signature to the bottom of your inputs, informing us all what you are running now, we would be able to give you an informed answer.
it has always been said on here that the voice prompts should be used in conjunction with the screen. after all would you step onto a crossing, because the green man was showing, without looking first Question
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fartyass wrote:
I can,t understand the rush to install foriegn language support files when you are never going to need them.I only speak & understand English so why clutter up the I3,s memory with stuff you are not going to use Sad
I am baffled by its a free update & I am going to have it even if I don,t need it aproach.

i agree, lets sort out the f/w stability problems first then bother about the other language options.
on the other hand if english isn't your first language it would be good to have your input if the audio updates have caused problems with this "new" f/w update.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
fartyass wrote:

i agree, lets sort out the f/w stability problems first then bother about the other language options.
on the other hand if english isn't your first language it would be good to have your input if the audio updates have caused problems with this "new" f/w update.

A smuch as I hate to disagree with Matb, I would always install all available updates especially as at the moment the 3.0 and 3.1 changes both state fixes for languages in case the FW does not function corrrectly without the new language files.

Just my thought.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
BERT_UK wrote:

if you added a signature to the bottom of your inputs, informing us all what you are running now, we would be able to give you an informed answer.

In fairness, he simply asked about whether 3.10 had the "improved" voice timing prompts (presumably as per 2.82 onwards). I'm not getting why him splurging his details would affect the answer to that question, or necessarily take that point of discussion forward.

Were he detailing some current behaviour of his i3 and asking whether this was typical, expected, or erroneous I could more understand your point.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevf wrote:
A smuch as I hate to disagree with Matb, I would always install all available updates especially as at the moment the 3.0 and 3.1 changes both state fixes for languages in case the FW does not function corrrectly without the new language files.

Just my thought.

Yebbut, the recent language upgrades have just been to foreign / non English language - which may be important if you need that language, but I don't believe has any effect on say British English in recent times.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
matb wrote:
BERT_UK wrote:

In fairness, he simply asked about whether 3.10 had the "improved" voice timing prompts (presumably as per 2.82 onwards). I'm not getting why him splurging his details would affect the answer to that question, or necessarily take that point of discussion forward.

Were he detailing some current behaviour of his i3 and asking whether this was typical, expected, or erroneous I could more understand your point.

ever the politician lester.
my point is you have had to "presume" beta onwards and therefore you cannot give an informed answer. this has been mentioned before where people have asked for help.
it is and was not a direct dig but simply a way of ascertaining facts.
was he not detailing current "expected" behaviour in the "improved" voice prompts. who knows ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: