Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So does anyone actually LIKE Copilot 6 UK & Eire?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So does anyone actually LIKE Copilot 6 UK & Eire?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: So does anyone actually LIKE Copilot 6 UK & Eire? Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a sat nav system to go with a pocket PC< and I have found pocketgpsworld very interesting.
What worries me is that in this forum, I cannot see anyone saying how much htey like or prefer Copilot.
It interests me becasue it covers Northern Ireland which TomTom does not appear to do.
I can't even find a review since version 5, which is in the software section.

Any defenders of the faith out htere?
morph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got copilot 5 live which ive been very happy with, its proved reliable, and easy to use. I have been wondering if its worth upgrading to 6. but havnt heard much about it.
rikaline bluetooth gps
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have bought it. I will let you know.
belfast-biker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
Well, I have bought it. I will let you know.

Cheers... have you had a go at it yet? As you say NI users would seem to be advised to go for CoPilt, but I made an expensive mistake when I bouth the awful Prymenav Navigator. Don't want to make any more mistakes.
mmca22gr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have V5 and the coverage for NI was better than most. Not sure what the coverage increase is in V6 but I don't use it enough to justify the upgrade cost.
Rcomms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Copilot 6 and live in NI. Got it especially for the navtech mapping. I'm of the opinion that if you live in NI, then its the best your going to get.

TomTom still has the edge for useability in my mind, but CoPilot isn't a million miles away, and there are much worse navteq products out there...

As for the mapping. East of the Bahn seems to be 100%. All the wee roads and everything. Move into Tyrone and Derry and things get less convincing. Very good mostly, and has all A/B roads, but none of the small stuff on it. If it was me... I'd bide my time until the Autumn when a newer Co Pilot will probably be due with 100% mapping.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: The good news and the bad Reply with quote

Well, I have had it a month, and I feel mixed.

Its great fun, but use with caution. I really fear that people will lose the ability to read maps.

OK, so if I have no idea, it gets me tehre. BUT, its routing can be strange. It does not always choose the quickest, becasue its understanding of how fast a road is, is flawed. For example, no one in theri right mind would route through Middlesbrough to go from Stockton to Stokesley., They would go down the A19 and along hte A174. Not copilot. It sees A roads, running through Middlesbrough, adn goes that way. It really needs a setting for A roads within towns and cities, given a slower speed to allow for all of hte traffic, the 30 limits, the traffic lights...

Postcode search is NOT true 7 digit. That annoys me. My home post code shows in copilot with an option of 5 streets. Rubbish - only my street has my postcode. I have confirmed through the post office postcode finder - the other streets each have a different postcode. It appears to be a 5 digit postcode look up. :x

That was no fun at all on a holiday to the Cotswolds recently. We visited a couple of National Trust places, and I keyed in the postcode. THe first was Upton House, OX15 6HT, which took me 3 miles or more away. I have checked on multimap and it reckons that it is OX15 6xx, i.e. the centre of OX15 6.

The second was Stowe Landscape gardens. MK18 5EH. But the postcode search gives me a choice of /postcode centre/ or /Main Street/. Postcode Centre is MK18 5, and is out in the middle of nowhere. Main Street is in Akeley, 2 miles from Stowe School.

Warnings are mostly good, and its good at telling me for example - turn left, tehn turn right. BUT, coming off a motorway I just get told to take exit. I'd like and at the roundabout take the third exit.

At any roundabout, I'd really like to be told take hte third exit, right, or take second exit, straight on. I know its on the map screen, but it would help to have it spoken.

Some times, if i am within the warning of 500 yards from the next junction, I would like a warning immediately, and certainly sooner than "just ahead"!

The screen directions are excellent.

The POIs are very limited. Hotels are poorly represented. The 4 I tried to find, only 1 was in.

Petrol stations are going bust regularly, and I hvae given feedback on some local ones. But I see no way of updating them through copilot's (ALK's) web site.

Roads are not up to date. I see from another post that it can take 18 months for a new road to be included! Why, in this day of web downloads?

I cannot see how to change hte voice to a custom one. Jane is very British, the Yank is very American, and hte Australian just annoying. My mate has a Tom Tom and that seems to have freely available voices for download.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you applied the latest patch - v6.0.1.68?
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the patch came out (6.0.1.68) I have been happy - it fixed the one major annoyance for me which was the ETA bug. The new safety camera mechanism is a big boost too.

Overall I like CP very much - I find the desktop version you get with it to be great for planning routes on your PC big screen. It's a bit of a shame that it does not talk more directly to the PocketPC to share routes, favourites etc, but I can live with it.

I have found the detour feature very useful.
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrggghhh!!!! Famous last words....

It looks like the bloody ETA feature has *not* afterall been fixed by this patch.

After I first installed the new patch, the next few trips I did had ETA working perfectly. Then this morning for some reason it has reverted to counting down from midnight again.

Damned if I can work out how it's gone wrong all of a sudden. The only thing I did differently was to load a trip made with the pre-patch version. But even doing a new trip, restarting, killing the user*.dat files, restarting again does not cure the problem.

I'm really annoyed with ALK now..... :x
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregW wrote:
Arrrggghhh!!!! .....
After I first installed the new patch, the next few trips I did had ETA working perfectly. Then this morning for some reason it has reverted to counting down from midnight again.

Damned if I can work out how it's gone wrong all of a sudden. The only thing I did differently was to load a trip made with the pre-patch version. But even doing a new trip, restarting, killing the user*.dat files, restarting again does not cure the problem.

You may have contaminated your default speed settings by reverting to a trip that was created under the bug.

The default speeds associated with the different road types are stored in the file:

\Storage Card\COPILOT\SAVE\Usertrip.dat

In this bug, the default speed gets wrongly set to 1mph, and ETA is calculated for that speed.

My usertrip data has the following line for default road speeds, which are stored in hexadecimal notation:

DefRoadSpeeds=0141412D1E05191E120137371E14050F190A

01 = marker, ignore
41 = 65mph on fastest class of road
41 = 65mph on next fastest,
2D = 45mph on next
1E = 40mph on next
05 = 5mph, etc.
The first half gives rural speeds, the second half repeats the classes for urban speeds.

Probably your file shows leading digits of 0101 instead of 0141, which would change 65mph to 1mph.

Another possibility to explain the bug is that the UK version prior to the patch may have mistakenly (sometimes?) read the 01 marker as a speed. I'm not sure. I don't think this 1mph bug was seen in US versions.

You can copy this file to the PC, edit it (so it looks like mine) and return to PPC. Be cautious and change only the specific characters necessary to minimize chances of messing up the file (re-install if you do, no big problem). Actually I think this file is a very normal pure text file (as opposed to the more special .CFG files), so it should be harmless to modify it with a simple text editor.

You may also find a good version of the file on the desktop under CoPilot, you could copy this to the PPC.

The line above contains the defaults. A similar line is supposed to capture and save your preferences (preferred average speeds) for your own User Profiles.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
GregW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Doug. I managed to get a good user dat file and ETA now works again. I just need to delete all my old trip files now.

Have ALK heard the phrase "backward compatible data"?
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregW wrote:
Thanks for the tip Doug. I managed to get a good user dat file and ETA now works again. I just need to delete all my old trip files now.

Have ALK heard the phrase "backward compatible data"?

Its a function of the way Copilot works. In a trip it saves all the settings in place at the time including the road speed. So if you had the ETA bug when you saved your trip it will reappear when you reload the trip since it has a road speed of 1mph.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: The good news and the bad Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
Postcode search is NOT true 7 digit. That annoys me. My home post code shows in copilot with an option of 5 streets. Rubbish - only my street has my postcode. I have confirmed through the post office postcode finder - the other streets each have a different postcode. It appears to be a 5 digit postcode look up. :x

Not quite correct, it is a full 7 digit search, but it doesn't work properly. I know ALK have claimed that it is a data problem and have taken it up with their supplier (Navteq), whether anyone actually believes that is another matter - however in ALK's defence, I was looking at Navigon v5 today, and as well as using Navteq data, it was also suffering the same postcode problems. It looks as if Navteq made a big boob with their data. Definately an area where Teleatlas are without doubt superior.

To give an example of the problem, I took 10 addresses from my address book (all family and friends - so just standard addresses) which I knew were on the maps (and were found correctly via address entry). Of the 10, less than half were found by Navteq, all were found by Teleatlas.

However, when comparing the maps on the two Navteq map products, what did suprise me, was that the Navigon product showed rivers and railway lines too - so what are ALK playing at.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: The good news and the bad Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Not quite correct, it is a full 7 digit search, but it doesn't work properly. .

Sorry but isn't that the same as "Postcode search is NOT true 7 digit"? Its still inadequate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: