Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 910 - Beware of dodgy connection to car mount !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 910 - Beware of dodgy connection to car mount !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to TomTom support with regards to the unit powering down if you turn the car off when powered form the cigarette lighter. The lady assured me that this was not correct and that I should return it to PCWorld for an exchange as soon as possible. 8O
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggins wrote:
Just spoke to TomTom support with regards to the unit powering down if you turn the car off when powered form the cigarette lighter. The lady assured me that this was not correct and that I should return it to PCWorld for an exchange as soon as possible. 8O

Well in that case surely they are all faulty?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's astounding! The lady plainly doesn't have a clue that this has been a feature since V5 firmware was first introduced.
Another example of how rubbish the first-line support can be. Evil or Very Mad
Here is a link to a poll on the My TomTom Go forum about it, from over a year ago....
http://www.mytomtomgo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131&highlight=ignition
Wiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, I presumed it was a "feature" of the unit, but I always like to get confirmation from the horse's mouth, so to speak (it's a good way of sussing out the tech support people). I was very surprised to be told to replace the unit, that seemed a bit rash, especially when you read your linked "MyTomtomGo" article. It's not the biggest issue with the 910, you'd just like the option, that's all.

Overall I am pleased with the 910. It is ashame many people are having problems with the mount, as the design looks as if someone has really thought about it, but just maybe not from the most practical point of view. I do find it a little difficult to take the 910 on and off, but it's getting easier, and I haven't suffered any loss of connection, yet. The 910 is held pretty securely but I guess the sheer weight is what causes the occasional bouncing.

I'm a bit annoyed our road isn't on the map though, and the computer voice can't say any name with "hurst" in it, and I don't like the fact you can't choose capitals when typing names (unless I've missed something), and the re-routing takes a bit of a long time. But that's about it so far. It's a nicer unit to use than a Navman I borrowed recently.
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: [b]Poor connections[/b] Reply with quote

Helicam wrote:
I am posting this observation to add to all of the others in the hope that Tom Tom reads them all and properly addresses this problem with a revised connection mechanism.

TomTom doesn't read internet message boards. If you have a problem then you need to let them know about it directly. The best thing to do is to call them and have them help you correct your problems. If they're not aware of the problem then don't expect them to do anything about it. In the US, call 1-866-486-6866 and in the UK call 08451610009. For other locatations see- http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=phone+number&FID=368

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got this sorted, mainly by removing the bit of rubber at the back of the 910 - for some reason it will now connect properly and light up the led. I didn't have a single dropped power event during my 45 minute drive to work this morning.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: [b]Poor connections[/b] Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
TomTom doesn't read internet message boards.

I'm willing to bet that they do, and that most companies do likewise with discussions that relate specifically to their products.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of you experiancing problems with the unit "drooping down" when in the car mount check the following, make sure the attachment to the windscreen is fully locked home, if not the device will droop and disconnect. You might think it is secure (I did today) but bright sunlight - hot conditions etc. had released the mount locking ring.

This has happened twice when going from cold to hot, so there maybe a temperature related issue that is releasing the locking ring - give it a try first before condeming the mount - Mike
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if you move it a few times into a different position then it seems to lock in and stay without drooping at all.
awdxs1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been giving the mount with all the other glitches some thought as we were considering returning the 910 to PC world for a refund. However we are going to persevere with the 910.

The issue of the car mount loosing power thus shutting down the unit plagued us with the first mount the second mount has reset on 4 occasions and I think I understand why. When we had the Ipaq based TT v5.0 it was on a flexi mount and it was common practice to attach to the screen low down and rest the ipaq in its cradle on the dashboard. That should definitly not be done with the TT 910,710 or 510. If you consider the position of the internal conector with the suction mount locked in position any support of the unit will be forward of the connectors pivot any movement upwards will possibly disconnect the internal connector to mount.
I am aware the TT will bounce a little if not supported by the dashboard but I believe its preferable to the shock loading thats is applied particularly to the harddisc (in the case of the 910) if the TT rests on the dashboard......

just a thought.....

As to the other things I expect TT to sort out the software glitches in the coming months and if the mount does prove to be a persistant problem they will have to replace them.

I'm determined to make the best of it as I don't think there are any better alternatives.... I think they have basically a very good product spoilt a little by poor QA..... nothiing that cannot be fixed.

kind regards

awdxs1 Smile
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with a second tier TomTom support rep and was told that the reason for the delay in shipping me a new car mount is that they have made design changes to address the charging and power down issues that customers are seeing. I didn't get any specific information about what the changes will be but if this is true it's excellent news. I absolutely love my 910 and it blows the Nuvi I was using out of the water and my only real problem is with the mount. If you've seen this issue with your unit, call, don't bother with email and explain the issues that you're having and request a new mount. It's probably going to be at least another month before they ship but it's good to know that a solution is in the works.

Report map errors- http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
I absolutely love my 910 and it blows the Nuvi I was using out of the water

Would you be prepared to expand upon this? I'm interested to know how the x10 range compares to the nuvi range. I have read a review that claims the exact opposite, at least in terms of navigation.
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For any of you experiancing problems with the unit "drooping down" when in the car mount check the following, make sure the attachment to the windscreen is fully locked home, Mike

This happened to me today big time!
It has been really hot and when I connected it, it just drooped right down. On checking the attachment I found the heat had loosened it and once it was tightened it worked fine.
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
I just got off the phone with a second tier TomTom support rep and was told that the reason for the delay in shipping me a new car mount is that they have made design changes to address the charging and power down issues that customers are seeing. I didn't get any specific information about what the changes will be but if this is true it's excellent news. I absolutely love my 910 and it blows the Nuvi I was using out of the water and my only real problem is with the mount. If you've seen this issue with your unit, call, don't bother with email and explain the issues that you're having and request a new mount. It's probably going to be at least another month before they ship but it's good to know that a solution is in the works.

Well I spoke to a chappie today who went and spoke to his 2nd level support team who apparently have no knowledge of any redesign of the car mount. He said that an rma of my mount would be 5-10 working days from receipt as is their normal turn around. I cancelled my rma on this basis as i can't see the point of receiving a replacement mount of the same design as my current one - 3 times out of 5 it doesn't connect properly and doesn't receive power. When it does it sometimes then loses power half way through a drive and turns itself off - most annoying!

BTW my problem with home crashing has been solved by the deletion of an MDS file in the root diredtory of the 910 that was showing as 0KB.

Otherwise it's been excellent, even traffic has been useful up to a point (i.e. the sparsity of quality info). It changes your ETA to take account of traffic delays and does seem to be pretty accurrate with it's estimates.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: [b]Poor connections[/b] Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
Helicam wrote:
I am posting this observation to add to all of the others in the hope that Tom Tom reads them all and properly addresses this problem with a revised connection mechanism.

TomTom doesn't read internet message boards. If you have a problem then you need to let them know about it directly. The best thing to do is to call them and have them help you correct your problems. If they're not aware of the problem then don't expect them to do anything about it. In the US, call 1-866-486-6866 and in the UK call 08451610009. For other locatations see- http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=phone+number&FID=368

i've also found that you can report the problems at their blogsite, clubtomtom.com.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: