Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More ammo from Clarkson
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More ammo from Clarkson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
OK the use of phones is illegal but how many people use the TomTom device whilst driving?

There is the offence of "driving whilst not in proper control of a motor vehicle". This could be used for any other minor instance where the driver is doing something which is careless to some degree but where no accident or near accident occurs. (I don't like the term near miss, as if you nearly miss something, you probably hit it). I have heard (not confirmed) of someone getting a ticket for smoking whilst driving, which would be ridiculous. Perhaps reaching to get your fags, using both hands to get one out than holding it in your mouth whilst lighting it with the other hand, would be nearer the mark. I once gave a guy a ticket for drinking a can of juice whilst driving. He was negotiating a roundabout and struck the kerb in the process though, so I think that was justified.

The whole ethos about the ban on mobile phone use, is not just because you only have one hand on the wheel (how many folk drive with their arm hanging out the car in summer), it is to do with concentration. If you are in conversation with someone on a phone in a car, you pay more attention to the phone call than you do to your driving. Also covered in the legislation is texting, internet access and any other form of communication by phone.

I think we are all digressing slightly anyway from the original point which was Jeremy Clarkson's rant. I remember someone's quote from a few years back (it might even be Clarkson) who said,

"rather than manufacturers making their cars safer and safer with each new model, why not replace the airbag and seatbelts with a large spike aimed at the heart of the driver. In the event of a collision, the driver would crash against the spike. This may be more of an incentive to drive safely"

A bit extreme, but I can see some merit in it ! Laughing

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
I chose to apologise to the driver and lecture my daughter instead, as IMO it was her own stupidity.

I totally agree with you. I saw a situation when I was a wee lad where three cars were in a fatal crash. I asked my dad who was at fault and I'll never forget his answer:

It doesn't matter who was right or wrong if you are DEAD.

It's something we could all do well to remember in these days when people are always looking for someone to blame.

Be careful out there! Wink
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
["rather than manufacturers making their cars safer and safer with each new model, why not replace the airbag and seatbelts with a large spike aimed at the heart of the driver. In the event of a collision, the driver would crash against the spike. This may be more of an incentive to drive safely"

I'd like to see a similar (retractible) device fitted to the driver's seat in cars to deter/punish car thieves. And if this caught on the accessory market for amusing (to the car owner) spike attachments could be quite lucrative.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
(I don't like the term near miss, as if you nearly miss something, you probably hit it)

You've reminded me of something George Carlin mentioned that in English the term "Near miss" means "Oh dear I nearly missed"

Brought a smile to my face anyway Laughing

And you mentioned the spike, I work in alot of cellars and one hotel has had to pay a huge amount of money because a couple of people have fallen down the hatch behind the bar.
The owner of the hotel said exactly the same thing "If I put a sodding big spike at the bottom I'll bet that no one would ever fall down there again"
He was rather upset about the money :D
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[The whole ethos about the ban on mobile phone use, is not just because you only have one hand on the wheel (how many folk drive with their arm hanging out the car in summer), it is to do with concentration.

In Australia having an arm out the window is actually an offence.
So too is having your radio too loud, although it's usually the youngsters who cop it.
Never drink and drive...... in case you spill it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: