Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT910 UK Users First Impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT910 UK Users First Impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxWild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey times seem pretty good to me - obviously it can have trouble with local conditions. It does seem to add about 5 mins if I route to somewhere up a track rather than on a main road.

The updated maps certainly have some new roads on them - a bypass built a couple of years ago near me has been missing for the last 2 updates but is in this one. Also a change in route at a T junction which did route me through a pub car park is now fixed.

I'm very pleased overall (now it works), although the software certainly has a few bugs.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question....

Is it worth upgrading to a 910 from a 700?

I have the opportunity to do this but it seems that there are a few probs with the 910 and I'm wondering if the added functionality is worth upgrading for?

Chris
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Really depnds on your need/want for the new features,

I was going to dump my 910 as I had problems with long boot and sat lock times (Most important to me), now on my 3rd unit and its fixed, so just a few little niggles left. Personally the 910 was for me because I need and want the seamless US Maps and the MP3/Audiobook facility is great on 8 hour drives in Nevada with no FM radio Service!.

It really is an individual choice, if you feel that the new features will be an improvement for you and the upgrade price is not an issue then go for it, on the other hand if you can live without the features etc etc (You get my point!)

Cheers

Richard
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going for the 910 mainly for TTS and a bit of mp3.

Mainly for the wife to use (currently she sits at home for half an hour with a map in her hand working out a route and trying to memorise it)

The TTS would help for roundabouts where Navigation can often be vague - eg '2nd left' but there is a minor exit not counted, or a no entry. Saying the name of the road would help her read the roundabout sign and understand.

Then the mp3 would be good. Although I've bought her an mp3 CD tuner, the HDD would be enough for all her music and I could connect it to the front AUX
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update on the problems that i had with the home software as discussed earlier in the thread.

Had to reformat my disk and reinstalled the software and now it works fine, why it didnt after reinstalling before i dont know. Must have been something on my machine that it didnt like.

Cheers

Peter
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrstella wrote:
just an update on the problems that i had with the home software as discussed earlier in the thread.

Had to reformat my disk and reinstalled the software and now it works fine, why it didnt after reinstalling before i dont know. Must have been something on my machine that it didnt like.

Cheers

Peter

I take it you mean reformat your PC hard disk and reinstall XP (not the 910's disk)? I've still got this problem. It coms up with an error about trying to access memory at a certain location and that the memory can't be "read".
MaxWild
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieronishere wrote:

I take it you mean reformat your PC hard disk and reinstall XP (not the 910's disk)? I've still got this problem. It coms up with an error about trying to access memory at a certain location and that the memory can't be "read".

I'm sure its the device its-self - as I mentioned earlier in this topic I tried 3 difference PCs (one of which was a new machine with nothing on it) and they all crashed in the Home application. I had the unit replaced and now it works fine without reinstalling anything on the PC.

I had contact from a developer at Tomtom who was willing to look at the problem but I had already exchanged my 910. Suggest you contact Tomtom support - they didn't help much but then out of the blue this guy from Tomtom emailed me seperately asking for details - he barely new anything from my original faul report. I suspect their internal communication is letting them down. They need to know the details from the error report that pops up when TT crashes.

Quote:
the ‘vital statistics’ we need are the following ones
Code:
Flags:
Record:
Address:
Image Base:
Time Stamp:
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope wiped my PC and now its fine so i would say that the issue was with the machine rather than the tomtom software.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
One question....

I have the opportunity to do this but it seems that there are a few probs with the 910 and I'm wondering if the added functionality is worth upgrading for?

Maybe it's me but I can't imagine upgrading my TT One just for the sake of it 8O
If I had some crappy Navman 300 series then of course, but a 700 is a decent bit of kit, and unless it's broke I'm curious why you'd consider it??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to consider it?
A simple answer is the text to speach, its worth evey penny in my honest opinion - far easier to understand and comprehend the navigation prompts, the unit is fantastic in this respect - Mike
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike. I have been using it for a week now and am loving it. Far superior to my tomtom 5 - Still got lots to learn on it. Making a long journey across England in the next couple of weeks and so looking forward to really putting it through its paces.
Only problem I am having is that when used through my phone, I can hear them clearly but they say I am muffled.
Also at times the mount does droop (as has been said elsewhere on the forum) but I find if I move it a couple of times it seems to find a position it likes and stays put!
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why do you want to consider it?
A simple answer is the text to speach, its worth evey penny in my honest opinion - far easier to understand and comprehend the navigation prompts, the unit is fantastic in this respect - Mike

Are the original TT Series so poor compared to the x10 series??
I can understand shelling out a fair bit of money and dumping all the maps from the door panel, just seems alot of extra money to shell out for a couple of tricks ..... or so it seems in comparison to the TT series.

IMO :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the mount is secure on to the windscreen, I have found that sunlight (heat) affects the unit and releases the locking ring, allowing the 910 to droop - this might be specific to my device, but its worth mentioning, had this twice today where it released as the car moved from the shade to the unusal heat we are experiancing - Mike
sg16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that my problem of accessing the virtual 910 on HOME has finally been resolved and everything is working properly. :D

First Tom Tom sent me a version update -Version 1.1 Build 0.48. This made no difference. Today they advised me to search the root drive and folders of the Tom Tom, for files with extension "mds" and of 0KB. There were only two in the main root drive, one called North_America-xxxxx of 0KB and another Western_and_Central_Europe- xxxxx of 1KB. (Both interestingly had a modified date of 1/1/200 compared to everything else being 2006) After deleting the North America file (I am in UK) everything starting working and I am now doing a backup.

Next job to install PW Safety cameras.

Thanks to everyone (particularly Mike) for their thoughts and help Clap and hope this may help others struggling with a similar problem.

Steve
sg16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that should have read "1/1/2000 compared to 2006"

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: