Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Calling HGV Users, pictures of your installation wanted!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling HGV Users, pictures of your installation wanted!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Calling HGV Users, pictures of your installation wanted! Reply with quote

We would love to receive photos of your installations as well as user experience, is it helpful, has it lead you up a dead end (not good with a 40ft trailer behind you!) ? Was your equipment paid for by the vehicle owners or do you use your own etc?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: sorry darren Reply with quote

ill answer this properly when i stop laughing pay for satnav weve only just got mobile phones Laughing Out Loud Laughing Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

sorry couldnt resist

just changed my set up a lil bit ill post when i get a min

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After writing that I realised how unlikely it would be for an operator to fork out for satnav! We live in hope Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: it does Reply with quote

it does happen from time to time with advances in telematics and tracking equipment satnav is becoming more widly available but with no truck/coach routers avaialble yet its someting maufacters are looking ito more closely
Thumbs Up

device Lumia 950 xl
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I work as coach driver and as foreigner in GB a satnav is for me my best companion.

I did try before a laptop with a Magellan GPS and some software like Route 66, Autoroute or Directions.

Now I'm very happy with Tomtom Navigator with GPSAssist, a XDA and a Rikaline 6010 GPS.

Of course none of them paid by any company. I did pay for it all, but at the end of the day it is my job... and my tools.

There is a lot of laughing between my colleagues, mostly of them "I have the stanav in my head" but a lot of them want me as second driver "...and please bring with you your stanav..."

As professional I did write some emails to the makers of some navigation programs asking them for some adds or changes, like routing with a true option for lorries or coaches. Only Route 66 has this option but it only affects to take more or less motorways than with a car. None of the sotware I did try contemplates low or weak bridges, width/high/weight limits, "buses lanes only", etc, etc.

But despite of this every one names their software as "Professional". I should have a look to the dictionary to know what that word means, may be I'm confused.

Anyway, I think the idea of create our own POI could be very interesting. Unfortunely I think the Tomtom Navigator only accepts 20 "avoiding areas".

If any programmer put his hands to make an add-on to prepare the routing with an "avoiding POI..." he could do some money surely.

By now my next trip will be from Reading to Dundee, bringing a Ice hockey team, any suggestion about "do's and don'ts?

I'll meet you on the road,

Nomada
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
arturus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada
A new POI for 'low bridges' has been posted at the download
area.
Arturus
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: poi avoid Reply with quote

have you tried set gps assist to warn you 1 minute away from a poi maybe that would work weight limits would help scania recently offered tomtom with there telematics package so im hoping there working on somthing for used bigwheels

down with the light the nights are takin over
well slap my top Mr. Green Happy Thumbs Up Happy Mr. Green

device Lumia 950 xl
Trucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been using TTN2 for 6/7 months now and I've settled into a routine with it. Sadly I've found that I cannot rely on Satnav alone for the very reasons posted here, i.e low bridges and weight restrictions. So I always check the route it plans against my trusty AA Truckers Atlas which does show the restrictions. The problem with using the low bridge poi's is that by the time the poi is within range you've seen the road signs first and re-routed.
That said I will say that TTN2 plans the routes far quicker that I could and I'm sure we all agree that if you plan a route manually you naturally tend to stick to the major roads more than TTN because you have less roads and junctions to try and remember.
I think the biggest advantage with any SatNav system is that it leaves you free to concentrate more on your driving and less on the navigation therefore making you safer and much less stressed.
And no, it's never taken me up a dead end !! Down some roads that I will NEVER go down again, and probably shouldn't have attempted the first time, but no dead ends........well not yet anyway Smile

Living from Layby to Layby !
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: only that Reply with quote

gary unlike you im a full time motorway muppet not a sissy boy local driver who only 30 hour per week and is paid atleast 3 grand a week Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
now get yer hand bag then

all none truckers another industry joke sorry guys

gary i wont used tom tom in london as i think there are to many restrictions eg weights and dont even get me started on the london lorry ban what a joke that is anywhere else in the country yes london no hope this helps

device Lumia 950 xl
Trucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just sticks to the windscreen, and a cable goes to the 12v battery jump start kit for power Smile 8O 8O

Manages me OK Smile

Oh, do you want a high-tech solution??

Sorry. Not Available On This Service Model Smile :D
Trucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix, long time no post ! Moved house, changed job and all that. I've joined you M-way crowd now, out 4 or 5 nights a week and all over the UK.
Using a TT Go 500 in the truck now BOUGHT BY MY BOSS !!!!. Was pretty bad at first, used to lose the signal in any built up area very quickly, Bristol especially was a complete no go area ! Then we talked him into buying the external aerials for them. Man what a difference, at least a 200% improvement.
Anyway, look forward to catching up on all the goings on.

Cheers

CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Low Bridges etc. Reply with quote

Have you thought of using autoroute (where you can mark as many POI as you want) to work out a route and then transfer as an itinery to Tom Tom?
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: low bridges Reply with quote

hi all, just got the tom tom 910, with low bridges . from www.lowbridges. com. £10 one off payment and updates once a month and all updates in future are free. i have been using tom tom for 4 yrs and i think they are spot on. Laughing
Trucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low bridges aren't too much of a problem for me as my truck is only 11'7" tall but there is one thing I've always wondered about with this system. As the bridges are included as a POI is it possible to get any of the TT systems to avoid them when routing or is it just a case of having advanced warning of their approach.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: