Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navteq maps the republic of Ireland...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navteq maps the republic of Ireland...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Navteq maps the republic of Ireland... Reply with quote

It has been a long time coming, but last month Navteq announced that they had completed surveying all "Public Roads" in the republic of Ireland. Well done Navteq, this is something our users have been crying out for for a long time.

The Navteq mapping process ensures that each road is surveyed by driving down it in a survey vehicle by the Navteq field team. Some of the issues that Navteq faced were the lack of Postcodes outside Dublin, but even worse than that is that a lot of roads in the smaller "townlands" don't have names, and even worse than that is that there are a number of townlands within close proximity of each other... a navigation nightmare!!!

Navteq press release wrote:
NAVTEQ Puts The Republic of Ireland On The Map

Complete and detailed map coverage now available

NAVTEQ (NYSE: NVT), a leading global provider of digital maps for vehicle navigation and location-based solutions, has completed a full and detailed digital map of the entire Republic of Ireland stretching from Dublin to Galway and Donegal to Kerry.

The new NAVTEQ map, which is fully detailed, includes all public roads in the Republic and every kilometre was driven and field verified by teams of NAVTEQ geographic analysts.

It covers 95,369 kilometres of road linking over 44,000 cities, towns and villages and enabling navigation systems to give drivers turn by turn directions to and from addresses throughout the country.

Developing an addressing system in the Republic was particularly challenging as not only are there no post codes outside of Dublin but there are also thousands of tiny townlands with no street names. "We had to work out how the townlands would fit into navigation system software which normally requires a street name and the name of the town to establish the destination," explained Graham Ward, NAVTEQ Country Manager.

"It was decided the townland name would be treated as a ’street name’ linked to the nearest, larger postal town," added Graham Ward. "This also helps differentiate between the many identically named townlands! For example, there are three townlands called Ballyadam in County Cork all within 50 kilometres of each other – for addressing purposes we have linked one to the city of Cork, one to Mallow and one to Midleton."

NAVTEQ data is much more than a map, it offers precise geometry and extraordinary detail about the environment as seen through the eyes of the driver. Each road segment features up to 160 attributes – street names, address ranges, turn restrictions – enabling navigation systems to help people get from A to B. There are over a million entries in 46 Points of Interest (POI) categories and POIs can also be entered into navigation systems as a destination.

For example, coverage in the Republic includes over 5,000 POIs ranging from hotels to petrol stations and airports to sports facilities plus internal and international ferry routes to England, Wales, the Isle of Man and France.

The Republic of Ireland coverage links seamlessly to the road network of Northern Ireland which also now has full and detailed NAVTEQ map coverage. This enables navigation from one end of the island to the other and provides a consistent level of detail on both sides of the border. NAVTEQ’s coverage of the Republic of Ireland is packaged together with maps of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news.

Now I have to wait until December for the yearly update for my Subaru in-car (Denso/Kenwood based) sat nav.

In the meantime I am attracted to Garmin's Nuvi - anyone know when they have the latest maps.
franmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is this update expected to be available to users. I'm using a Dell AximX30 and have been waiting a while for this update to be.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the AA Navigator software is the first to include the new data, but it may be up to a year, or even longer for some of the others. It all depends on the development cycle of the manufacturers.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what map release will have the full coverage? Would it happen to be the Q1 2006 Navteq maps? If so, Destinator 6 should have full coverage. This is due to be released imminently.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any possibility that TomTom may supply this map data to 910 customers free of charge, its the only european map data thats missing from the 910.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
I probably already know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any possibility that TomTom may supply this map data to 910 customers free of charge, its the only european map data thats missing from the 910.

I dont speak from a position of knowledge here, but I would very much doubt it. Currently TomTom do license both Navteq and Teleatlas data, but the GOs only use the Teleatlas data.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:

I dont speak from a position of knowledge here, but I would very much doubt it. Currently TomTom do license both Navteq and Teleatlas data, bu the GOs only use the Teleatlas data.

Do they really? How on Earth do you get the Navteq maps for TomTom PDA? The Teleatlas coverage of Ireland is extremely poor. They have no structure whatsoever. I live in Belfast and although it's supposed to be fully covered, there are dozens of streets and names missing. It really is a poor effort by Teleatlas. The Navteq maps are so much more Professional and I hardly ever see a missing road, unless it's realtively new of course. Currently, there is absolutely no competition for Ireland coverage. Teleatlas have an awful lot of work to do.
batterseamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps now that they've (Navteq) completed mapping Ireland they could get on with the serious business of updating the united kingdom....I keep finding myself on nice new roads which don't exist in my Tom Tom! Hmmm... what is the procedure for updating maps anyway?
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batterseamike wrote:
Perhaps now that they've (Navteq) completed mapping Ireland they could get on with the serious business of updating the united kingdom....I keep finding myself on nice new roads which don't exist in my Tom Tom! Hmmm... what is the procedure for updating maps anyway?

You say you are using TomTom maps, but aren't they Teleatlas? MikeB posted earlier that they license both but I don't know anyone who has Navteq supported TomTom maps.

It would be interesting to find out the update procedure of digital maps in the UK and now Ireland. Are they ordered in a priority I wonder???
batterseamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrrr..... I have to pass on that! I thought TomTom used Navteq - at least that's the impression I got at the Farnham meet a few months ago (I was bending the ears of TomTom staff with particular regard to Ireland!) All information welcome!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batterseamike wrote:
Errrrr..... I have to pass on that! I thought TomTom used Navteq - at least that's the impression I got at the Farnham meet a few months ago (I was bending the ears of TomTom staff with particular regard to Ireland!) All information welcome!

As far as I know TomTom only use the Navteq maps on the TomTom Rider all of the other navigation systems use the Teleatlas mapping data.
vipergrm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
batterseamike wrote:

As far as I know TomTom only use the Navteq maps on the TomTom Rider all of the other navigation systems use the Teleatlas mapping data.

Now that does ring a bell. I think you are correct as I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Seems very odd to me.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
batterseamike wrote:

You are 100% correct, only the Rider product is NAVTEQ. It was part of the patent infrangment law suit settlement between TomTom and NAVTEQ. Batterseamike sounds like the TomTom boys have been telling you porkies in order to get rid of you
batterseamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkfloat wrote:
MikeB wrote:
batterseamike wrote:

You are 100% correct, only the Rider product is NAVTEQ. It was part of the patent infrangment law suit settlement between TomTom and NAVTEQ. Batterseamike sounds like the TomTom boys have been telling you porkies in order to get rid of you

Twisted Evil Grrrr.... I shall be having some words with them in Edinburgh on the 20th! Just because I have a TomTom Classic does not mean I don't want good service! Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: