Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkoeniger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy wrote:
hi everyone.

But I am wanting a speed cam program to put on it. What works best with this system? I am newish to this so just wondering what will work best and can I have the nav and the speed cam program on at the same time? Already been on the speed cam bit on the site but would they work?

Take a look at http://www.navigating.de/MN_en/POI/Index.htm POI-Warner works with all products from Navigon.

A lot of POIs for GB can be found at http://www.poihandler.com/ also.

Or convert and use any other POIs suitable for TomTomNavigator with http://www.dnote.nl/pda/poi/PoiEdit/index.html
MatthewClement
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question - are Aldi open on a Sunday, and are there likely to be any of these left anywhere in the country? I'm based in London, FWIW.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't think Any ALDI are open on Sunday,

None of our local stores have any left, someone did poist on here that the store near them had a second delivery on Friday and got some extra,

So it would be worth having a trawl around any stores in your area on Monday,

(May be worth a look at the aldi website for local stores, not sure but may be a list of store contact numbers there)

Good Luck

Victoria
MatthewClement
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I can't pick one up locally (which looks unlikely at this point), it looks like I can pick one up on the secondary market for £410 delivered. Wondering whether this makes sense vs. a Dell Axim with TT2 at £417 delivered. In its favour, the Medion unit has two MMC cards, European coverage, and a more up-to-date mapset. On the other hand, I suspect the Axim is a better-made unit, TT2 is a nicer piece of software (IMHO) and I get the full back-up of Dell support.

Any thoughts from those in the know (particularly interested in those who have used both systems). With a £75 difference in price, the Medion was a no-brainer, but at virtually the same money, it's a tougher choice.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have not used the Axim, but from playing with it in stores I would say it is the same build quality as the Medion.

What I would say is that the Medion has the 3 year warranty, something which would cost a fair bit extra on the Axim.

Yes TomTom is a plus, I am using TomTom on my Medion for UK navigation but that is only because I already had it from an earlier purchase and I like the 3D display, saying that the Medion software has also impressed me with the accuracy of its maps and the speed of calculation and ease of data entry

So there are plus points with both,

Really is a tough choice, if you are set on TomTom then the Axim will be the better deal as there really is no point in buying 2 lots of software, unless you already own TomTom and want the Medion software for european use.

There really is no clear cut winner as far as I can see

Victoria
MadPanther
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Autoroute map used on Pocket Streets work with the medion and GPS ?
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewClement wrote:
Well, if I can't pick one up locally (which looks unlikely at this point), it looks like I can pick one up on the secondary market for £410 delivered. Wondering whether this makes sense vs. a Dell Axim with TT2 at £417 delivered. In its favour, the Medion unit has

Matthew, sorry that I can't help you to choose Dell or Aldi bundle, as I don't know enough about Dell. However, do you have friends or relatives in the country? There are a few left in Glasgow. So, if you know someone around the UK, it might be worth to ask them to have a quick look for you. Also ask the staff directly in the shop> They might have some in the back. I think the Republic of Ireland is selling the same bundle too. It is europe launch of this product, although in Germany, the details map will be within Germany etc.

Phone a friend!
Need feng shui consultation
for your home & business?
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got one from the Seven Kings store in East London/Essex
Got 4 more left at 4pm
harry66
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One dumb question - my mate has a licenced copy of TomTom 2 he is using with a Bluetooth GPS module and an iPAQ
Is it possible to install the TT2 software on my Medion at the same time as the Navigon?
Will they conflict? Is there enough memory?
I am not planning on piracy here - he has lots of problems with his setup and wants me to install it to see if it the software works any better on my PDA and with the wires GPS unit than his setup. He is extremely frustrated at the number of times his setup crashes etc and just wants to get an idea if it is the software or the Bluetooth GPS unit he is using (PS it is not the TomTom Bluetooth unit but another make - he just has the TT software).
I helped him upgrade his TT2 software with the latest update etc a few weeks ago but this has not made matters any better.

Thanks in advance for any any help you can give this newbie - my first GPS device!!
(just need to sell my Sony Clie now as I promised the missus I would!)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory they shouldn't conflict as they will use different DLL's, but remember if he installs TTN2 on the Medion, he will use up one of his activation licenses and will legally have to remove it from his Pocket PC as the license terms stipulate you can only have it installed on one Pocket PC at anyone time, and activation won't permit it installed onto two Pocket PC's!
mrhumphreys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversely, will the software supplied run on another platform i.e. Ipaq with Navman sleeve (subject to license etc. etc. ) Does it need PPC 2003?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will run on anything from CE3 upwards (incl MIPS/SH3) through PPC2002 to Windows Mobile 2003.
ashleyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed tomtom so I could compare it to the medion software, I was impressed with the features but thought the medion maps were better.
Tried to start medion program again and it wouldn't work. Click on the icon and nothing happens. Uninstalled everything and put the medion program on, seems to install fine, click on the icon again and nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually it should not cause a problem, I have about 20 GPS applications installed under my Pocket PC's and all run in harmony. The only problem is if Medion are using a newer version of a DLL that the two apps are sharing in which case re-installing Navigon should resolve the problem, but you may need to uninstall both, then soft reset and then install Navigon again.

Until we get our version here, we can't really suggest anything other than what most would try. I've never had another app not work before when I install another GPS app, but sometimes you do have to install apps in a particular order.
ashleyw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very strange and extremely frustrating. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, soft resets. I 'll have to carry on and hope it just starts working or until sombody else has the same problem and solves it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: