Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ICN520 power
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ICN520 power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phocused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Navman ICN520 power Reply with quote

Hi,

I have GSXR600 and want to fit my NavMan 520 to it and hardwire the power in.

I have read most of the posts here but am still undecided about the best route to take.
The Navman can be powered by a cigarete lighter @ 6volts. It seems the options are to:-

a) Fit a Female Lighter connection and wire it directly to the Battery allowing the PCB board in the Male Lighter connection to drop the power

b) Cut the Male connection of the lighter and hardwire it to the Battery and fit an in line Fuse to the live

c) Remove the PCB from the Male connection, Connect a length of wire to the Live and Earth wires and connect this to the Battery including an inline fuse.

Does anyone have any idea what the best solution is ?

Also

I am looking for a mount and also a protective case.

the options here appear to be:

a) A Dedicated Mount - Checked Ram mounts but they dont do one, has any one else got this device and know of a mount that can be used?

b) Fit the device inside an Otterbox. Does anyone know of a mont that will hold the ottebox? Also I am assuming you have drilled a hole in the otterbox in order to feed the power to it. I gues you would just use a Grommet to seal it.

Any help would be appreciated as i am off around france and need to get this completed soon.

rgds Paul
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't wire direct to the battery the feed to the device would be better taken from a switched live controlled via the ignition switch, otherwise you stand the chance of flattening the battery when not in use, I admit the voltage regulator will only draw a small ammount of power but the drain is still there if wired direct.
Any of the options you describe are OK if fed via the switch, the easiest is just to fit a new socket to the bike and plug the addapter in when you need it.
I am sure there is a RAM mount avail for the OtterBox, but please check the Navman will fit in the cases dimensions, my unit is at home but I will check this later and report one way or the other, I am sure it will fit, but not too sure about the GPS antenna. Otterbox also do an optional extra to feed power cables through the bottom of the box, have a look at their web site for full details of the entire range, and finally welcome to the forum - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the Naman 510 in the OtterBox 1900, it will fit BUT not with the GPS reciever folded out, have you thought of the "Aquapac" products, no mounting options though - Mike
phocused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the welcome and the very prompt reply, unfortunately work has kept me away from the terminal so this is the first chance i have had to come back.

I havent tried the aquapac so will give it a nosey although if there are no mounting options i wouldnt think it would work. Just wondering if i can add an external aerial and simply drill a hole in the otterbox for the cable.

I'll have a think and see what works best.

Again thanks for the assist.

Rgds Paul
SOELEY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I wired mine up on my scooter like this. Got a lighter socket and wired it to the fused side of an ignition live fuse. Bought a spare in-car adaptor, pluged it in and wrapped insulation tape around it to keep the two halves together. The ran the wire up through the handle bar cover.

I use a freezer Zip bag on mine.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOELEY wrote:
Got a lighter socket and wired it to the fused side of an ignition live fuse. Bought a spare in-car adaptor, pluged it in and wrapped insulation tape around it to keep the two halves together.
A neat installation, and wired / protected correctly Thumbs Up makes a change, as most automotive installs I see are "after" they have gone wrong, no protection fitted, burnt out wiring etc. It never ceases to amaze me what some people will do, the bike is only 6V but still has the capacity of the battery which is capable of burning out wiring, not a nice thought at speed. Anyone else considering fitting a nav unit to the bike do as SOELEY has done and you will be OK - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: