Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 2 Help from Kwak z1000 Rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 2 Help from Kwak z1000 Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Quest 2 Help from Kwak z1000 Rider Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

im a GPS newbie so please be gentle with me......

I have been looking into gps systems which i could use both in my car and on my bike. My car i do about 3 hours a days driving (Commissioing engineer in the fire game) and my Bike i use most weekends if it isnt raining.

First of all i was looking at the TT Rider but have reservations due to the speaker output being low when on the bike. (I dont want to shell out more money on a comms system just for gps, autocom/starcomm etc). Also the lack of a speaker would make car use a bit of a pain. I did however like the size of the unit and the touch screen facility.

After reading RIDE's review of GPS' i started looking at the Garmin Quest 2 unit. Similar sort of price, size but with the added bonus of route planning on PC. This is a major brownie point for the Garmin as far as im concerned as i like to plan a route for a sundays ride and opften struggle to keep to it using conventional maps (i dont use tank bags and my memory is pathetic).
My two concerns for the Garmin is

(1) how to get voice comms into my helmet. I understand there is an array of options for earbuds/ speakers etc which isnt an issue. My problem is how do i connect them to the unit as i cant see a 3.5mm jack socket in any pictures ive seen.

(2) How to mount it on the bike. Ive seen loads of mounts with long arms etc but i didnt want any of this. Basicaly i want the unit to be as less intrusive as possible. Clamped straight onto the bars would be bestand in the middle (on top of the bar clamps?).

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-quest-handlebar-mount-bracket/1602/

This looks like an option, but again, how would i connect my headphones to this unit?

I was thinking, would the gps work if it was in my bike jacket pocket? I could then just listen to instructions and not have to worry about mounting. (Battery life seems to be good on these units)

So there you have, my rather long, rambling first post on this forum. My appologies if ive asked questions that have been asked a million times before (and yes i have used the search Laughing Out Loud Smile )

Any help/advie/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Steve "RAM man" at GPS Warehouse tel 020 88939393 for mounting options suitable for your bike. You will then need a RAM-HOL-G15 cradle (£15) and a ACQ (£15) audio adapter into which plugs your wire from the earpiece/speaker
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for yor reply.

Would the garmin unit work if i simply put it in my pocket and didnt worry about the cradle??
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being close to your body with the antenna not being horizontal you will certainly cut down on the number of received satellites - at the best this means a loss of accuracy and at worst repeated failures of the Quest's ability to navigate
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzajones wrote:
Would the garmin unit work if i simply put it in my pocket and didnt worry about the cradle??

Welcome

You could do this but the flip out antenna has to see the sky so it don't work very well (if at all). Also, if you have the unit in your pocket you won't be able to see the map it is showing. Many times, verbal instructions aren't enough and you need to see the map on the screen to understand where you are being directed.

You can get a RAM mount for about £25 but it doesn't do power or sound. To get these, you need to buy Garmin's cradle for about £50 (plus a ram mount and arm to go with it) and this has a set of contacts that provide power and take sound off the connector on the back of the Quest.

Personally, I'm used to the Quest so just do without the sound and watch the distance to next turn on the screen, then check the instructions on the map.

RAM do some short arms like this one which might keep the unit out of the way
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/bike-mount70.htm

Check out the other pictures in the bike gallery on ram-mount-uk. The mounts are quite adjustable so you can find a comfortable place for it. Idealy you would want it above the speedo but just below the windscreen.

With the Quest mounted on the CBR, I can't get my chin on the tank but I only do those sorts of speeds on the racetrack where you don't need a sat nav!

Route planning is absolutely fantastic. I mark the "scenic" roads I find when I'm out riding, plan the trip, review where I went on previous trips, interesting stops etc, and the mapping program tells me how far and how long the ride is. Then upload the route to the GPS and off you go. Fantastic. 8)

Good luck!
enzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazza, as skippy has pointed out. The Garmin motorcycle mount comes with power and speaker outlet socket.
This is what I use on my 03' Sprint.

I also had some earplugs made with built-in stereo speakers from ultimate ear, expensive but excellent qaulity.
IMO, Ram-mount are about the best mounting system for various bikes. Again, not cheap but good qaulity!

Try and get to a stockist where you will be able to actually see the arms etc. as I now have a small stock of unwanted 'bits' that I did not need to buy. This could have been saved by visiting the shop in person. Embarassed

Failing that, there is sombody on the forum that can machine unusual/bespoke mounting options for the ram mounting system. I have seen some photo's and they are VERY well made. I have tried to search for one of the guy's post's - but to no avail!! Sorry. I'm sure one of the other posters will fill in the blanks.

P.S. just found it - Mr Gonzales he's the 'daddy'!

Enzo
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAny Thanks to everyone thats helped me here. Its getting clearer and clearer what i need/can achive. Ill start looking for deals this weekend.

Thanks again! :D
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile here we go again with me questions! Smile

On the route planning subject, is the software easy to use? Would it be like 'autoroute' or summut so i can choose exactly which roads to take.
i tried a demo of tomtoms go software and it seemed a right pain in the arse to get it to go where you want.

Ive been around a few shops today looking for demos but i couldnt find a garmin quest anywhere. Anyone know of a stockits? I just wanna see one before i order one.

Hows the quest handle in the car? is the screen big enough?

And lastly, ive read a few reviews and some say that the screen is too small and doesnt update quick enough? Are they just blowing smoke or is this a genuine problem? Does the screen zoom in when you get close to a turn/junction.

Many thanks again guys, youve been a great help so far. Hopefully when im all kitted up, i can do th esame.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazzajones wrote:
Smile here we go again with me questions! Smile

Ive been around a few shops today looking for demos but i couldnt find a garmin quest anywhere. Anyone know of a stockits? I just wanna see one before i order one.

Hows the quest handle in the car? is the screen big enough?

It helps if you give your location in your profile

How far away away from USK are you??
Dave
dazzajones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in debyshire...so a long way.
MikeOnABike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for the quest but I am using a cheap medion PNA with a fold-out antenna. Never had any problems on the many occassions I have gone out in the rain with the unit in my pocket (either the breast or front lower ones). Even picks up satellites without the antenna folded out.

And on that subject, never had any problems following the voice prompts. Indeed, I find the screen hard to read with the slightest glare, or beyond a certain speed, if you get my drift. The handlebars are not where my attention is whilst riding.

As for the audio jack, doesn't it say on the specs? The Quest is waterproof, so maybe no jack?

What are the bars on the kwak like? Garmin do 'bicycle' handlebar mounts for about £10 - I have one for an Etrex Legend C.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: