Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
havinit69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ? Reply with quote

Hello, I have recently purchased a Garmin i3 and i have downloaded over 23,000 POI's that i got foc from Garmin. I also downloaded over 8,000 POI's for the speed camera which i got from this site.

What i'd like to ask...
1) Is there anything else i should be downloading and do i need to download Map Uprades ?
2) After downloading Speed Camera POI's do i have to do anything on my Garmin unit or will it automatically warn me ?
3) I have read about Map version 6, 7 and 8 etc, how do i tell whats on mine and how can i ugrade it if need be ??

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the answers are already on this Forum. The Search function is your friend 8)

Aitch
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ? Reply with quote

havinit69 wrote:
Hello, I have recently purchased a Garmin i3 and i have downloaded over 23,000 POI's that i got foc from Garmin. I also downloaded over 8,000 POI's for the speed camera which i got from this site.

What i'd like to ask...
1) Is there anything else i should be downloading and do i need to download Map Uprades ?

As to anything else you should download - well if it's POIs then MaFt's site and POI database is always a good one.

Map updates can't be downloaded for the i3.

havinit69 wrote:
2) After downloading Speed Camera POI's do i have to do anything on my Garmin unit or will it automatically warn me ?

Well you have to load them (and your other POIs) onto the i3 using the POI_loader application.

Depending on how adventurous you feel, you could try one of the slightly more advanced apps that create GPX files for the safety camera stuff, so that you can tweak the alerts more to your personal preferences.

havinit69 wrote:
3) I have read about Map version 6, 7 and 8 etc, how do i tell whats on mine and how can i ugrade it if need be ??

You'll either have v7 or v8 - check on your unit, from the main menu, go into settings, then check under the map section for the map source.

If it's v7, you can send your card off to Garmin for a free update to v8 maps - but this is a one-time deal, don't be expecting that when v9 maps are available!
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ? Reply with quote

havinit69 wrote:

What i'd like to ask...

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

1) depends
2) it will warn you when you travel over 30 mph ect ect
3) check your box that you purchased it in and if it has v8 near the barcode then you have the up to date maps if not then you need to send your card of for a free replacement

also have u downloaded the latest firmware from the garmin site ?
havinit69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked and i have Version 7 Maps.

Does anyone have the address that i should send it off to and does anyone know just how quickly Garmin turns them around and get them back to you ?

I dont know what firmware you mean ? - all i downloaded from Garmin was the Point Of Intrests and the POI Loader.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...then you also need this: http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

Aitch
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havinit69 wrote:

Does anyone have the address that i should send it off to and does anyone know just how quickly Garmin turns them around and get them back to you ?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36193

havinit69 wrote:
I dont know what firmware you mean ? - all i downloaded from Garmin was the Point Of Intrests and the POI Loader.

Well on the same page you downloaded those things, there will be some software under "Unit Software". V2.70 is the current official release, there is a beta version, too - but I'd stick with the official release of 2.70. Note: this is nothing to do with the maps, it is simply the software currently running on the i3.

You may be already running v2.70 - you can check by: from the main menu, settings, then about.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havinit69 wrote:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ? Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

If it's v7, you can send your card off to Garmin for a free update to v8 maps - but this is a one-time deal, don't be expecting that when v9 maps are available!

forgive me if i'm being fick...

1/maps can't be downloaded to an i3
2/we're unlikey to geta free v9 upgrade

fair enough on a £100-150 unit

but does that mean when v9 comes out

a/ we need new tansflash cards, which we have to buy (where from in the uk?)
b/ we can't update i3 & need a newer one, assuming no v9 until 2007/8/9 (??) thats not too unreasonable..
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 - Please can someone help ? Reply with quote

adam808 wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

forgive me if i'm being fick...

1/maps can't be downloaded to an i3

Well unless you buy a copy of the DVD mapping from Garmin - but still not exactly downloadable, and will definitely cost.

adam808 wrote:
2/we're unlikey to geta free v9 upgrade

fair enough on a £100-150 unit

but does that mean when v9 comes out

a/ we need new tansflash cards, which we have to buy (where from in the uk?)

I suspect they will be available to buy from Garmin.

Where this is concerned, though, it's no diffierent from any other sat nav, including higher end models.

adam808 wrote:
b/ we can't update i3 & need a newer one, assuming no v9 until 2007/8/9 (??) thats not too unreasonable..

Well two things, here - the maps are just on the transflash card, I've no reason to think that Garmin won't make them available to buy - but v8 has only just come out, so it's a bit previous to start worrying about v9.

And where the mapping is concerned, I personally thought nothing about having a 2002 road atlas in the car, or a copy of Autoroute 2001 that I used previously.
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, very informative.

I'm not too worried, like u say v8 has just come out, so a bit early to worry !!

n yes you're quite right:

1/ until dec05 i was navigating using a 1996 road atlas ;)

2/ i can merrily download maps to (a spare) transflash card, so i know it's possible to physically achieve !!

thanks
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam808 wrote:

2/ i can merrily download maps to (a spare) transflash card, so i know it's possible to physically achieve !!

There are other posts in the forum about transferring files, note that you can transfer the data, but not the encoding on the SD (SECURE Digital) flash card. Thus a spare card with maps on does not work.
Crying or Very sad
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HySeeker wrote:
adam808 wrote:

There are other posts in the forum about transferring files, note that you can transfer the data, but not the encoding on the SD (SECURE Digital) flash card. Thus a spare card with maps on does not work.
Crying or Very sad

perhaps i haven't explain myself very well?!

1/ I have definately got City Select Europe & City Navigator N America on CD

2/ I have definately bought a 1Gb transflash card from car phone warehouse (CPW)

3/ I can definately download maps from the above products onto my SPARE* transflash card

4/ I can then definately search to things like the LA hotel i was stayin in last year, the paris hotel i'm in this year, the assen TT where i may ride my bike too via france/belgium.

5/ as the card was blank when i bought it, i'm 'quietly confident' that it's definately the maps from my CD on the card ;)

*i could download these maps onto the OEM transflash card that came with the unit & it would work in the same way, BUT i would lose the (superior) UK+ maps that came with the unit

-------------------------------

ergo I have two cards

card1 [OEM Garmin card that came with my i3]
= for detailed & everyday searches/travelling in the UK+

2= [standard blank card from CPW]
= loaded with additional european & US maps not contained on OEM card.

All i do (& i'm sure u wont be surprised) is swap between the 2 cards depending on my travelling needs

~ works a treat !!

Hope this clarifies?

Cheers
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

~ works a treat !!

Hope this clarifies?

Cheers

Sounds good, I had not tried it - based on what I had read, but now I am off home to experiment. Thanks :D
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT REPEAT, DO NOT

try & download maps to your original flash card.

you WILL lose the data thats already their.

I found this out the hard way.... Sad

PS CPW are doin 1gb flash for £45, ok so that ain't quite ebay - but u get a SD convertor with it & 45quid to garantee the 'safety' of the orginal card is well worth it in my book...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: