Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - noise suppression AND spoken directions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

noise suppression AND spoken directions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: noise suppression AND spoken directions Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've used Sat Nav in-car for ages (tomtom Navigator) and am thinking of getting a bike-based GPS too (prob. tomtom rider for familiarity).

I wear earplugs for EVERY ride. How are you all getting spoken instructions into your heads whilst keeping wind noise out ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RIDER comes with two earpiece/mic combinations. One is an earbud and dangly mic, the other is a velcro backed mini-speaker and mic with velcro either side of it. I use the latter and find that with careful positioning and 100% volume on the RIDER, I can hear the voice instructions upto about 80mph. (I did this speed purely in the interests of science, you understand.)

I actually had a telephone conversation with my wife the other evening and it was OK at about 30mph, too.
gsandy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Rider Instructions Reply with quote

Looking at various forums I am not the only one to find the Rider instructions too quiet with the supplied headsets (without earplugs).

Feeding the audio through a comms system such as Autocom makes a BIG improvement but I have found the best way to get good clear instructions was to dump the Rider as charging the bluetooth receiver became a pain, and buy a Garmin 2720. In my opinion the Rider is good but the 2720 is streets ahead (sorry about the unintentional pun).
kragbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
The RIDER comes with two earpiece/mic combinations. One is an earbud and dangly mic, the other is a velcro backed mini-speaker and mic with velcro either side of it. I use the latter and find that with careful positioning and 100% volume on the RIDER, I can hear the voice instructions upto about 80mph. (I did this speed purely in the interests of science, you understand.)

I actually had a telephone conversation with my wife the other evening and it was OK at about 30mph, too.

I see. So the minispeakers are 'velcroed' to the lining of the helmet positioned to coincide with the ears. Then the rider wears earplugs and hopefully you can hear the speaker through the plugs. Is this what you do Tim ?

I won't ride without plugs. Usually I just use the expanding foam type that block everything out (and make me cough if I push them in too far Laughing ). I have got a pair of the type that simply cut out certain frequencies supposedly leaving speach unaffected but I'm yet to try them - maybe they're a good bet.

GSANDY - what makes the 2720 streets ahead? Simply the audio side of it? As I said, I'm very used to (and happy with) the tom-tom in the car. I'm not so thick I can't use 2 different systems but it would seem a bit odd to do so if the advantages were minimal.

EDIT: Sorry GSANDY - was being lazy Embarassed . Just read up on the 2720 and it looks like a nice bit of kit. A better question is how's yours fitted to the bike as it appears to be a car orientated unit? I'm thinking about the weather proofing & powering.
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Noise suppression and voice instructions Reply with quote

I've just got a pair of ultimate ear's in-ear monitors. They're custom made, so a bit pricey, but absolutely fantastic. See www.ultimateear.com. Wind noise is now just a gentle rumble. They also do a good range of custom ear plugs.

Mike
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Quest and have been using a single Ultimate Ear monitor in one ear and a foam plug in t'other - works very well at all speeds

Last weekend I bought from Maplin a BA58N Monophone Earpiece for the grand sum of £4.99. It has a plastic band that goes round the back of the ear and positions a small speaker exactly over your lug 'ole. Even with foam earplugs it was perfectly audible at all legal speeds. In my case it is certainly as comfortable in a helmet as the in ear monitors

I have also tried various in-helmet speakers but found that a combination of the distance between them and your outer ear canal, and keeping them optimally positioned makes them very much a second choice
enzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved my set of ear plugs from ultimate ear, built-in stereo speakers.
Git of a job working out the correct fitting procedure. And yes, I did use the colour coding!! Excellent comfort when wearing them. Havn't tried on bike with Quest yet.

Also got a pair for shooting.

Enzo
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Custom monitors Reply with quote

Know exactly what you mean enzo. Who'd have thought that your ear canal was sort of rectangular, wider at both ends than in the middle and with an anticlockwise turn in it. Took me about two weeks of daily commuting to learn how to get them in and out easily. Still say they're worth every penny!

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: