Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Global Exclusive: First review of Memory-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Global Exclusive: First review of Memory-Map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld Global Exclusive: First review of Memory-Map Reply with quote

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld exclusive review of Memory-Map 2004Memory-Map 2004 World Exclusive

PocketGPSWorld has a World First Exclusive review of the new Memory-Map 2004 Topographical GPS software.

Aimed at outdoor pursuits enthusiasts it includes 1:25,000 scale Ordnance Survey Explorer maps of the main recreation areas of the UK

On the PC side new ways of viewing the maps include split windows and a lifelike 3D View.

Click here to read the review

Enter your comments about the review or software in this thread.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I really like the 3D maps, these are awesome! Real shame about Ordnance Survey's draconian approach yet again restricting companies over what they can and can't do. This does make it more difficult for the end user to user the products, and I think mapping companies are going to start going elsewhere when suitable alternatives come about.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 3D feature looks very impressive... Thumbs Up ...has MM given an official release date?

What is the upgrade path for existing MM2003 customers - will the new MM2004 Navigator work with existing MM2003 OS Landranger 1:50,000 Maps containing profile data (dated after November 2002)? Rolling Eyes
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory-Map will be releasing the new version round about 10th November.

There will be an upgrade path from 2003 but I dont have the details yet.

Your 2003 maps will not work with 2004 PC application, but 2003 and 2004 will both work on the same PC. The exported maps will work on either PDA version.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, now that's what I call a quick response! Clap

Somebody told me that MM will provide free map upgrades provided the new maps were released within three months of your purchase - not sure if this is true though...?

It is a shame if the maps are not compatible as that is usually the expensive bit. :|

According to MM, the maps do not change that often and is generally forward/backward compatible. However if new maps are introduced, they will include new supplementary files to facilitate new features such as profile data, 3D views, etc.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Your 2003 maps will not work with 2004 PC application, but 2003 and 2004 will both work on the same PC. The exported maps will work on either PDA version.

After some further experimentation I have found that the 2003 maps will not work on the 2004 Pocket Navigator, but 2003 and 2004 maps will work on the 2003 Pocket Navigator.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting... Surprised looks like MM are trying to force you to upgrade the maps as well! Police

I hope they will have a reasonable upgrade path.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really Memory-Map, but Ordnance Survey. They are the ones making all these stipulations. The reasons for them doing this are beyond me.

If you currently have MM2003 then you can upgrade to the latest release which is Version 3.1.16 (I think) this has virtually all the features of MM2004 except the TextNotes. You can then use this version with both 2003 OS Maps and 2004 OS Maps.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Mike.

Ordinance Survey could certainly do with a bit of healthy competition!
StevePower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Memory-Map 2004 Upgrade Reply with quote

I wanted to pass the following on to other readers of this forum.

I recently emailed Memory-Map to ask about the upgrade route for users of the 2003 Memory-Map OS 1:50 000 scale mapping to the 2004 edition
and today received a reply.

Memory-Map will be asking that existing 2003 users pay a total of almost £180 to upgrade their UK mapping coverage in order to gain the new items of functionality described in this site's recent review. I, and I would think anyone else who has bought the 2003 software, believe that this is outrageous, given the minor nature of the software upgrade, the most significant item being the 3D terrain modelling. There is technically no reason why this item could not be provided for existing users in a software only upgrade since the elevation data is already available, and indeed when I originally evaluated the software prior to purchasing it - just over 3 months ago - I emailed Memory-Map technical support and was told such a feature would be added to a future software upgrade. Memory-Map also conceded this in my recent exchange of email.

I would urge all users of this software to contact memory-map and request that their upgrade policy is re-evaluated. If is is not, the company does not deserve our future support.
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I completely agree with you and will be writing to Memory-Map shortly.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this seems an outrageous upgrade fee after having already bought a load of maps.

Does this also mean that Memory Map 3.1.16 will no longer be developed? I am still waiting for the fix to allow the latest version of Activesync to work with it.

Matt
wijey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I have been able to get ActiveSync working with MM Navigator 3.1.16 is by downgrading from ActiveSync 3.7.1 to 3.7.0. I hope MM will have a fix for this other than having to upgrade to Navigator 4.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wijey - that's precisely my concern that MM v3.x gets binned and the only option we have is to go the MM2004 route.

Fortunately I'm still running Activesync 3.7.0 but I do have intemittent problems with that version and was hoping to be able to upgrade to 3.7.1

matt
StevePower
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've exchanged several emails with Memory-Map on these issues. It would appear that there are no plans to develop version 3.1.6 beyond addressing known bugs, one of which surely must be the problem with ActiveSync 3.7. Furthermore, Memory-Map will *not* give a commitment to further develop the 2004 version of the software to address the route management shortcomings or other areas where the competition (in particular the "Tracklogs" software) is significantly superior - namely route, map and height profile printing options. Memory-Map's license agreement with OS requires that they sell a new set of maps whenever Memory-Map makes "significant" changes to the software, so you can expect that if these aspects are eventually addressed, perhaps in a "2005" version, you will be expected to "upgrade" again. It's a shame Memory-Map could not commit to the the few days software development effort that would have been needed to address these issues prior to the 2004 release. That at least would have made the upgrade costs more palattable. What has been included in the 2004 release, with the exception of the 3D DEM modelling (which was in any case previously available in the version licensed to the US Maptech) is really very little.

Regards,
Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: