Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Database Helps Reduce Crime
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Database Helps Reduce Crime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
astrocompass wrote:
Quote:
Register you GPS details and very soon the cops will have a massives database which they can use to monitor your speed as you travel and just simply issue 3 points and £60 fines

I'd be very interested to gain a better understanding of the precise processes by which this could be achieved. gidimille, do you think you could elaborate for the benefit of the rest of us? Just exactly how might this work? No-one, after all, wants 3 points and a £60 fine and I'm sure we'd all be keen to avoid that possibility. I'm just struggling to make a link between registering stolen GPS details and being targeted by the police. Please advise. Look forward to hearing from you.

i read somewhere that new mobiles are being fitted with gps chips that
work, even when the phone is switched off, whats to say the our gps systems carnt be fixed with the same ? mobile repeaters can already be used as a form of radar, they can tell movments in an area, if the person has there phone , or gps system, with there details on a database, then they can be tracked. we r moving into rearly scary times !!
belive me, if you can think of it, they have already!!

Wink

j

actuly the devise is registerd after, meaning they do not have your
details!! unless they pass on your details when you pay for you system in the 1st place Laughing Out Loud

still, ya carnt beat taking it out of the car , when ya aint in it!!

Wink

j
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people here are losing the plot. A GPS receiver is just that.... a receiver....not a transmitter. That's like saying the Police can track you because you listen to Radio 1. They can't of course because like your Tom Tom, it does not send out signals. Big brother is not as sophisticated as the scare mongers will have us believe. Trust me, I'm a Police Officer Exclamation Exclamation

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I think some people here are losing the plot. A GPS receiver is just that.... a receiver....not a transmitter. That's like saying the Police can track you because you listen to Radio 1. They can't of course because like your Tom Tom, it does not send out signals. Big brother is not as sophisticated as the scare mongers will have us believe. Trust me, I'm a Police Officer Exclamation Exclamation

so what does that mean?
how do you think trackers work?
my brother works for one of the biggest aerial and satelite companys in the country, he has every cert that the CAI have to offer.as well as cityand guilds certs, and others.
he does uplink and down links at all the big shows in the country!!
the chip can be put in the system no problems just like a mobile phone sim card!!

the new tags that will be put on clothes, so they carnt be stolen, are so small that they can be enhailed.
and they have already been made
belive me the techno's there
belive what u like , thats your opinion , as mine is mine!!

Wink

j
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on my ground with this, but I BELIEVE that transmitters are used to find missing people through their mobile phones in the USA and Germany (others?). These transmitters form part of the manufacture of mobile phones in those countries.

Does anyone have further information on this?

There was a very large presence of tracking companies at CeBIT this year by the way.
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
999tommo wrote:

so what does that mean?
my brother works for one of the biggest aerial and satelite companys in the country, he has every cert that the CAI have to offer.as well as cityand guilds certs, and others.
he does uplink and down links at all the big shows in the country!!
the chip can be put in the system no problems just like a mobile phone sim card!!

the new tags that will be put on clothes, so they carnt be stolen, are so small that they can be enhailed.
and they have already been made
belive me the techno's there
belive what u like , thats your opinion , as mine is mine!!

Wink

j

here is a site that goes into detail, on whats avalible already, and whats coming in the future!!

www.propagandamatrix.com/tiny_ids_can_track_almost_anything.htm

www.propagandamatrix.com/big_brother.html

scare mongering ay ?

i think not

Wink

j
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracker systems have tranmitters. Mobile phones are transmitters and receivers. Ever since mobiles changed from analogue to digital, it has been possible to track a mobile phone. However it can only be tracked when is use (at the moment). Police can, in certain circumstances obtain information from telecommunication companies to ascertain where a mobile phone was last used. It will only give a rough geographical area though, dependant on the spread of telephone masts. The more masts, the more precise a location can be obtained. This is generally used by Police to trace missing persons (perhaps those who are suicidal).

GPS receivers are still just receivers. Technically yes big brother could infiltrate all GPS suppliers and plant transmitters in all of our Tom Toms, but then Hospital staff could implant tiny microchips under our skin at birth. You can believe anything but there's no point get paranoid about it.

They're coming to take me away, ha ha...Laughing Out Loud[/quote]

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
DB5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Positioning System satellites transmit signals to equipment on the ground. GPS receivers passively receive satellite signals; they do not transmit. GPS receivers require an unobstructed view of the sky, so they are used only outdoors and they often do not perform well within forested areas or near tall buildings.

So, unless all the makers are conspiring with the government and installing a transmitter, it's probably a safe bet that you are not being tracked.

What I would be worried about this….

A single RFID reader can identify dozens of vehicles fitted with e-plates moving at any speed at a distance of about 100 yards. The e-plate looks just like a standard plate, but it contains an embedded chip that cannot be seen or removed. It is self-powered with a battery life of up to 10 years.

"Police will be able to track your every move when you drive," said Liz McIntyre, an RFID expert and author of the forthcoming book, "Spychips: How Major Corporations and the Government Plan to Track Your Every Move With RFID"

jazzyj Quote:
Register you GPS details and very soon the cops will have a massives database which they can use to monitor your speed as you travel and just simply issue 3 points and £60 fines

As said before, the database will be for stolen GPS equipment, plus if it's stolen how are the police going to track you?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
999tommo wrote:
I think some people here are losing the plot. A GPS receiver is just that.... a receiver....not a transmitter.

Uh, by coupling a GPS receiver with a transmitter (eg, GSM).

A standard GPS receiver doesn't contain a transmitter so it doesn't allow the user to be tracked. You can take your tinfoil hat off now.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: stolen GPS database Reply with quote

kevpol wrote:
(try reading your own waypoints and see if you can identify you !!)

Uh, I have a waypoint called "Home" on my Garmin. I think CoPillot and TomTom systems also have a function to set up a home location and menu option to navigate to it. Wink
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Tracker systems have tranmitters. Mobile phones are transmitters and receivers. Ever since mobiles changed from analogue to digital, it has been possible to track a mobile phone. However it can only be tracked when is use (at the moment). Police can, in certain circumstances obtain information from telecommunication companies to ascertain where a mobile phone was last used. It will only give a rough geographical area though, dependant on the spread of telephone masts. The more masts, the more precise a location can be obtained. This is generally used by Police to trace missing persons (perhaps those who are suicidal).

GPS receivers are still just receivers. Technically yes big brother could infiltrate all GPS suppliers and plant transmitters in all of our Tom Toms, but then Hospital staff could implant tiny microchips under our skin at birth. You can believe anything but there's no point get paranoid about it.

They're coming to take me away, ha ha...Laughing Out Loud
[/quote]

god you r funny
nearly pd me pants Laughing Out Loud
my brother was building basic 1 watt radio transmitters when he was 14, so regardless to what an amature has to say, ya dont empress me Laughing Out Loud
did i not say that new phones will be chipped with new gps chips ?
should have gone to speck savers Laughing Out Loud
whos getting paranoid? not me, im a private investigator Laughing Out Loud

i know all the tricks

Wink

j
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
jazzyj wrote:
999tommo wrote:
I think some people here are losing the plot. A GPS receiver is just that.... a receiver....not a transmitter.

A standard GPS receiver doesn't contain a transmitter so it doesn't allow the user to be tracked. You can take your tinfoil hat off now.

no not yet no,
but its comming, it wont need to send info back to the stars Laughing Out Loud
it will just send the info to the mobile repeaters!!
good acrnt belive some people r so nieve!!

Wink

j
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway , thats enough on that , not ganna waste any more of me time !!
in a few years , when the s*** hits the fan , remember it wont happen.
they were ya words.

Wink

j
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
anyway , thats enough on that , not ganna waste any more of me time !!
in a few years , when the s*** hits the fan , remember it wont happen.
they were ya words.

Wink

j

and ps i didnt read the original doc i just caught a glimps of gidimille's
msg so responded to that, learnt me lesson now thoe, found me self debating with 3 people, never mind wont happen again !!
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
Skippy wrote:
jazzyj wrote:
999tommo wrote:

no not yet no,
but its comming, it wont need to send info back to the stars Laughing Out Loud
it will just send the info to the mobile repeaters!!
good acrnt belive some people r so nieve!!

Wink

j

ya might find this of interest ?

www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=200666#200666
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzyj wrote:
my brother was building basic 1 watt radio transmitters when he was 14, so regardless to what an amature has to say, ya dont empress me Laughing Out Loud

OK, well maybe in a few years when you reach 14 years old then you will be building your own radio transmitters too and then you will understand how they differ from receivers. Wink

In the meantime, just stick to the tinfoil hat and hope that your mum don't notice all the baking foil going missing from the cupboard. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: