Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A new PPC needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A new PPC needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: A new PPC needed Reply with quote

My iPaq 3970 is getting a bit bashed and passed it. I am looking for something to replace it. As far as I can tell the options are Del X51v,
iPaq 4700 or iPaq 2790. They all seem much the same in spec. Any user comments or suggestions of what to keep away from will be appreciated. It will primarily be used with TT with a BT338. But gets pleanty of general use too.
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ipaq 4700 with Tom Tom v5.21 and it's great. Never had any of the apparent problems that other uses have had with the 4700 or Tom Tom, come to that.

One very happy user Wink
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that bothers me about the 4700 is that it only has 2003 version of Windows. The 2790 has 2005 version. I thought TT5 needed the newer version of Windows.
Ginger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 4700 with TT5 and a BT338 and I find it works very well. It has occasional lock ups when starting TT and sometimes TT starts with a green screen and asks which map I want to use. Other than these rare occurences I would recommend the set up.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom 5 will work with 2003 or 2005 as long as the devicde has an arm compatable processor from memory if the processor is arm on a 2002 device then it will run on that but the 2002 machines can tight on ram memory

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new ROM update avail soon for the 4700 that uses WM2005, But as the device was never intended to run this opperating system I will sit on the fence for a while before giving it a try (if at all), the Dell upgrade to WM2005 for the x50v had serious problems with power management to the memory cards, I hope HP get it right but time will tell, otherwise the 4700 is a great bit of kit, yes it does/did run hot - from what I remember but it never failed to work with the 2003SE opperating system - very nice device, its just I don't use it for too much these days just a few bespoke applications that need the CF interface - Mike
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the axim x51 and it is very good although infact I am browsing this forum on it now. I have only had palms before so carnt compare to other pocket pcs. I notice that dell have the x51v with 20% off.

when I looked the hp was very expensive.

mine has wifi and to be honest I didn't think I would use that feature much but I do and it is great.
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am well pleased with my Dell Axim 51v which I got end of 2005 for £262 (20% off and free carriage), like the current offer. I only use it for navigation (see my sig. for complete set up) and back up of digital photos.

I chose the X51v for its high spec. (640x480 screen, 624mhz processor and high levels of ROM and RAM) as a future proofing strategy having seen over 20 years around PCs how software development drives the need for ever more hardware resources. It also has the very useful ability to take both an SD card and a CF card simultaneously.

I have had no lasting problems running TT5 under WM5 on the X51v which does not suffer the memory drain issues of X50s upgraded with a WM5 ROM.

I had a few problems (due to my ignorance/stupidity) at the beginning pairing the X51v and GPSlim and getting TT5 to pick up the GPS data but they were soon sorted with help from these forums. I started with TT5 got it all working and then upgraded to TT5.21 without problem.

I have documented what I did in case I need to start again from the beginning having forgotten it all. Let me know through this thread if you would like me to PM or e-mail you a copy. There is lots of info.to be found at www.aximsite.com.
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus....if your quick, the x51v is now £215 INC P&P
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very tempting. I was trying to stick to iPaqs as I know them. But the X51v sounds very tempting. I have heard very little of the 2790 unfortunately as it sounded promising.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2750 and the 4700. The 2750 is the same as the 2790 except less ROM memory (but still loads) and it has CF and SD card slots (the 2790 only has SD).

The 4700 has by far the best screen resolution. Don't worry about using WM2003 instead of WM5 - it is not a problem and it runs faster than WM5 (don't ask how I know - I work for HP!!).

They both run TT5 v5.21 with no issues at all.

So, if you want the best screen on the market, go for the 4700.....

Alan
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's, I appreciate that Alan. Can the 4700 go to WM5. I am going from a 3970 that originally had WM2003 on but was installed with WM5 when it was returned repaired from HP. The 3970 is a lot older iPaq as well.

Bob.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boblister wrote:
I am going from a 3970 that originally had WM2003 on but was installed with WM5 when it was returned repaired from HP. The 3970 is a lot older iPaq as well.

Bob.

Is that right? The 3970 shipped with PC2002 and was upgradeable to WM2003 (mine still uses 2002). Did it really come back with WM5?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:

The 4700 has by far the best screen resolution. Don't worry about using WM2003 instead of WM5 - it is not a problem and it runs faster than WM5 (don't ask how I know - I work for HP!!).
This is the exact reason why I said earlier in this thread I will be "sitting on the fence" with respect to the 4700 WM2005 "upgrade" - as the device was built to run 2003SE, it is probably better to leave the OS alone. The other reason is the relatively limitted memory avail that is "persistant" as WM2005 will only load programs into this area, it will soon get consumed, the plus side of cource being that there will allways be loads of RAM avail for programs to run in.
I do agree with the screen comments its a great bit of equipment, yes it runs hot but doesn't seem to suffer from this, the only real down side to the 4700 is the speaker and audio volume, you need an amplified car mount for it to be of much use with a sat nav application - Mike
boblister
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
boblister wrote:
I am going from a 3970 that originally had WM2003 on but was installed with WM5 when it was returned repaired from HP. The 3970 is a lot older iPaq as well.

Bob.

Is that right? The 3970 shipped with PC2002 and was upgradeable to WM2003 (mine still uses 2002). Did it really come back with WM5?

Your correct Tim it is 2003. It was shipped with 2002. I have just been corrected by my son who has the same one as me. I thought the 2003 I had was 2005.

Armed with htis extra information its time for a rethink.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: