Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - question regarding choosing types of GPS reciver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

question regarding choosing types of GPS reciver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_Chan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: question regarding choosing types of GPS reciver Reply with quote

I am a new to this forum and this GPS subject. After spending some days reading through this site, I am glade that I got tons of information in my mind (anything too techie I won't remember yet). Thanks for the great site.

Now the question were: I know that a lot of the handheld GPS can connect to a pocket pc by using a set of data cables from PC-Mobile, but what I don't get from the huge mass of info. were what was the performance or advantage or disadvantage (sorry the only things I could think of to compare ask me more to help me narrow down if needed) comparing to CF GPS?

The other thing I don't quite get was why there were limitation for the handheld GPS to work for Axim 5? How about the new Axim 3?

The reason why I asked was because I want to get a pocket pc but if possible I would probably want to use a handheld GPS with it. Because it won't drain pocketpc's battery as its source, and If pocket pc 's power are drained I could still use the handheld one to help me out when I were out there fishing. The handheld uses AA battery too so easy to buy and easy to carry.

Hope I didn't ask stupid questions... Embarassed
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GPS_Chan, and welcome to the forum.

If you want to use a Handheld GPS then your options are pretty limited - most of them provide a serial port cable connection of some kind, and you'll get these cables from some specialized sites. It would actually be nicer to connect the handheld GPS and the Pocket PC without wires, wouldn't it? This means BlueTooth, but currently not many Handheld GPS support that. You may want to check out http://pocketgpsworld.com/gpsmart.php - maybe that's a solution for you.

This brings you to the next problem - the Axims can't talk BlueTooth natively - you will need a CF card for that (but you should rather use the CF slot for a nice big memory card)...

So you may want to look for another Pocket PC as well...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
GPS_Chan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replay

Can more people give more entry please?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lbendlin"]Hi GPS_Chan, and welcome to the forum.

If you want to use a Handheld GPS then your options are pretty limited - quote]
I do not agree. In fact it is the opposit. The choices of handheld GPS is unlimited - in prices and features. Almost all of them can be connected to ALMOST all PPC with suitable cable.

BT is OK. But what about the cost? software/set up problem? You need a BT PPC too.

There are times you do not need to connect a PPC and a standalone GPS is very useful.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chan, you won't see any performance decrease in using a Handheld GPS Receiver with a Pocket PC. In-fact, in some cases you will see a performance increase in signal, especially if you're using a handheld GPS that has a quad helix antenna, which the Garmin GPSMap receivers have and also the Magellan Meridian range have.

Downsides really is you have two devices with a short cable tethering them together. If you wanted to use them in-car, you then have to look at having two cradles, one for the GPS and one for the Pocket PC. When you're out walking, you really have two devices to handhold. Personally, I like connecting a handheld GPS up to the Pocket PC, and if you already have one, it saves you the cost in purchasing another receiver.

The problem with the X5 is purely by design of the interface on the X5. Dell have definately cut corners here, and it's a shame. Providing you follow the connection/disconnection procedure, then you should be able to use a handheld GPS on a Dell, you just have to remember if it doesn't work, the correct procedure to follow.

I think a handheld GPS would be good because you do on some get fishing information on them which could come in handy. Failing that, the other option is going Bluetooth. Navman have the 4400 which carries regular batteries, and it won't drain the power of the Pocket PC. It really depends on how much money you want to spend. Most GPS Receivers are in the region of £100-150, Bluetooth around £200-250 and a really good handheld GPS in the region of £150-250.
GPS_Chan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replay.

The "won't see any performance decrease in using a Handheld GPS Receiver with a Pocket PC" how about compare to CF reciever? I mean for example how fast it would lock on (TTFF)? When a handheld connected to a pocket pc would the TTFF time be faster (according to Pocket GPS World review/chart)? I mean 15 seconds hot for handheld and 3 to 4 seconds hot for CF, in some cases those are some major differences (based on the review and testing location and method assuming they are the same for each device).

In the axim question I had this was what I read from pc-mobile,

"However, it is not possible to transfer data (waypoints, tracks, routes etc) between AXIM and GPS.
e.g. You cannot use OziExplorer to download/upload waypoints/tracks to/from a Garmin/Magellan GPS."

What does that mean? Does it mean that I would have to set waypoints, tracks, routes for each unit since they can't talk to each other other than just have Axim recieve the GPS info?

The other question that just came in my mind, the great features in the handheld such as E-compass, Barometric Altimeter, Hunting/fishing calc...etc., would those also transfer to pocket pc? Or is it just some thing just software based and doesn't matter whether the hardware has it or not? Because I noticed some differences in the Magellan Meridian series (thanks Dave they all have Quad Helix, woo hoo Laughing ) and were just memory size and one measurement-Barometric Altimeter. Does CF reciver also has those?

Sorry I just blah out all the questions I have. I have to admit I am a bit geeky when come to these kind of stuffs. Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: