Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Slim236 Time to Fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Slim236 Time to Fix
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberdude wrote:

Come on Holux sort this out.

yup, i'm giving them one more week to resolve before i return for a Globalsat BT338.

plus, now that they have new models out (GR238 or whatever), i'm wondering if they'll 'forget' about this issue....
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberdude wrote:
I took my 236 into NY today as I was planning on walking around Greenwich. I got out of the subway station, switched on the 236 and didn't get a fix for 16 minutes. I was in a park so there weren't any tall buildings or tree obscuring the sky.

Did you wait for it to get a fix before you started walking? The 236 takes ages too get a fix if you dont do this. I know it's a bit of a pain to do this but it almost always gets a fix in under a minute if you don't move, and then it works great.

corba wrote:
cyberdude wrote:

yup, i'm giving them one more week to resolve before i return for a Globalsat BT338.

plus, now that they have new models out (GR238 or whatever), i'm wondering if they'll 'forget' about this issue....

I wonder if the Globalsat is immune from this issue or do all SiRF Star III have it? I've done little
research on other receivers so I genuinely dont know.
Also do Holux really have another receiver out? It's not mentioned on their website.
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you wait for it to get a fix before you started walking? The 236 takes ages too get a fix if you dont do this. I know it's a bit of a pain to do this but it almost always gets a fix in under a minute if you don't move, and then it works great.

Yes I stood around for a couple of minutes but I was with some friends and we were on our way to meet someone so I couldn't stand around for ages waiting and it was getting a little embarrassing asking them all to wait till I got a fix. I haven't read any reports of Globalsat users experiencing the same problem so I don't think it's a SIRFIII chip thing.

When the 236 has a fix it's great but I wish they would just fix the TTFF thing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using it for walking try this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33464 click the link in the first post, it might not speed up the fix duration but it certainly improves the unit when out of the car, I have never experianced more than a few (5 to 10) seconds to lock, possibly thirty seconds at the very worst when I first switched it on - Mike
corba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corba wrote:
cyberdude wrote:

last chance Holux?....
Fiona
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the review on this one and I am thinking about getting one, should I buy something else instead. Seems there are a few problems at the moment or have they been fixed.

Can someone recommend a good unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
should I buy something else instead. Seems there are a few problems at the moment or have they been fixed.
Can someone recommend a good unit.
Well the GPSlim236 I have, is as bought (from the Pocket GPS show in Basingstoke last year) and I have none of the problems mentioned at all, it fires up and works every time within seconds. I recomended one to a mate from work, which he purchased and is more than happy with it - no problems to report
Its a cracking GPS unit that will stay locked on to signals when the going gets tough (city centres etc, even when put out of sight in the glove box) - Mike
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike et al,

I purchased this unit after advice from Mike following a bad eperiance with a CF unit in my Axim. I'm glad to say that i have had it for about 3 weeks so far and have not had any problems getting a fix at all. It even gets a fix within a couple of minutes after exiting the tunnel under the channel.

I can also confirm as mike has suggested that it works in the glove box of the car. This i was most impressed by. I know alot of the older units need clear line of sight into the sky.

Cheers

Mav
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with mine ,locks on to sats in about a minute sometimes less,very good signal all the time when in glovebox,cant fault it
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I also think the 236 is a wonderful device, especially when you consider it can be bought for around £70.
I have had mine for around five months now and never had a problem with it.
The one possible exception being that if using it for walking you must wait for it to get a fix before moving. Once you have a fix then it's ability to track your position accurately is a revelation after using receivers with older technology. I use it with MemoryMap and if I check out my route on a computer after a hike I am amazed how accurate it is. My previous receiver ( a fortuna clipon) whilst OK for driving was almost useless for hiking because just when you most needed it to find your way it would lose your position due to foliage etc.
I think the problem with waiting for a fix before moving is a Sirf III characteristic anyway.
imisim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, "the problem with waiting for a fix before moving" is not "a Sirf III characteristic ..." I bought the Holux and got a problem, due to the generous return policy of the store I bought from in the State I was able to return it and bought the BT-338. The BT-338 has no problem getting a fix while you are moving and the fix is usually under a minute. Find a store with generous return policy and try for yourself. BTW, you don't see a lot of people with the same problem in the GlobalSat forum.
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imisim wrote:
FWIW, "the problem with waiting for a fix before moving" is not "a Sirf III characteristic ..." I bought the Holux and got a problem, due to the generous return policy of the store I bought from in the State I was able to return it and bought the BT-338. The BT-338 has no problem getting a fix while you are moving and the fix is usually under a minute. Find a store with generous return policy and try for yourself. BTW, you don't see a lot of people with the same problem in the GlobalSat forum.

I must admit I am at a disadvantage to you as I haven't had a chance to compare the Holux to the Globalsat.

The reason I thought that it was probably a Sirf III characteristic was because a quick scan through the threads on the two models on gpspassion seemed to suggest that the problem was mentioned no more in the thread dedicated to the 236 than the BT-338 thread. One person mentioned they had the problem with the BT-338 and was advised not to move until he had a fix.

I dont find it a problem now anyway because I just wait for it to get a fix when I am using it for hiking. Which usually takes less than a minute. Having had it for now for several months I have never regretted buying it.

Anyhow I am glad you like the Globalsat, it is obviously a fine receiver.
ahardie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up to my last post, I found this post on another forum:-

I'm worried... I've just bought a bt-338 and my ttff seems to be *much* longer than this: I can walk down the street for 10 minutes -- the bluetooth cutoff -- without ever obtaining a fix. At the back door to my apartment I can obtain a fix (not moving), but it can take 3 minutes or more.

Might I have a bad unit, or am I expecting too much?

The next post after this one told him this was normal
and he shouldn't move before he had a fix. This sounds like exactly the same behaviour as my Holux. Except it has never taken me three minutes to get a fix whilst stationary.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of these problems could be down to atmosphere conditions because when I first got my 338 it was really good than a while back it was taken longer to get a fix and locking onto less sats but now its really good like when I first got it
Welly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my GPSlim 236 for about a day now, so early early days but it seems to lock on the satellites within a few seconds. I've not noticed any problems at all with it. I'm well happy with my purchase but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it changes. So far, so good though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: