Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whre to locate my Quest 2 on my Blackbird
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whre to locate my Quest 2 on my Blackbird
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonBroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Whre to locate my Quest 2 on my Blackbird Reply with quote

I bought myself a Quest 2 for Christmas and have been busy working out whre best to put it on my Blackbird. Is there a 'best' position, or is it just down to personal preference?

I've got a Garmin powered cradle and an Autocom system to play with too - Laughing and this may influence the final positioning?

Before buying the Quest I did alot of web surfing and I reckon this site is great. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more often once I've worked out how to use the Quest better. I wish it had more info about what you can do with it - menu trees or how-to flowcharts would be a great addition to the manual.

Thanks in advance for your views.
enzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, try a company called RamMount(usa).
They have a picture gallery of various bikes and also a help wizard to work out the different type of mounting options.
The list may seem daunting but after a bit of looking, it's quite easy to suss.
Best place for Ram kit in uk is GPSWharehouse. I've used them for my bike bits, good service.

regards
Enzo
JonBroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Enzo, the Ram Mount wizard was a real help. I'm down to 2 options:
1. central monting point on yoke or
2. brake master cylinder

does anyone have any experience of which might be the better place?
enzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I would go for the central mount, keeping any arms as short as possible to reduce vibration through unit.
I use two different length arms, one 3" for use when tankbag is fitted and one 1.5" without tankbag.

Have fun

Wink Enzo
Aladdin_Sane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have already seen this Blackbird but just in case, click the link.

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/bike-mount1.htm
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Whre to locate my Quest 2 on my Blackbird Reply with quote

JonBroad wrote:

I've got a Garmin powered cradle and an Autocom system to play with too - Laughing and this may influence the final positioning?

Hi there. I've got a Quest 1, Garmin powered cradle, RAM bracket on my handlebars, and it connected to an Autocom.

I do get some background noise & hum on the Autocom - probably as the audio cable from the Quest to the Autocom has to pass near some of the HT leads. I did fit the Autocom grounded splitter between the Quest and the Autocom's phone socket but it lowered the volume level of the Quest a bit too much.

I'm tinkering with some other anti-ground loop and interference suppression stuff at the moment so interested to hear how you get on.

This is fitted to my Vmax trike.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the grounded splitter that your talking about the red or red and grey box from autocom parts 56 or 57.
I connected my 2720 today to my autocom and nearly blew my eardrums with the volume level with no hum at all via the No 57

CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
farzad
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JonBroad - I bought my Quest about 5 month ago, and have a 98 Blackbird. I was planning my French trip at the time so, just like you, looked around for the best cradle and where to mount.
I ended up buying a Ram Mount cradle and power supply.
I opted for the break master cyliner mount. I haven't bothered with a earphone. I think it's a nice idea but would get on my nerves after a while..!!
I have a double bubble screen, and have to be a bit careful how I position the mount to make sure it doesn't catch on the screen when I have full lock in, i.e in a car park or garage.
On the plus side I think it's at just the right height to let me have a quick glance without bothering with the earphone.
It's position is also good with or without a tank bag.
I also put in a simple plug and socket for the power, to make sure I can easily take the Quest and the mount off when I'm leaving the bike.
Let me know if you want more info. I can also take some pictures and post on this site, if I can work out how..!!
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Is the grounded splitter that your talking about the red or red and grey box from autocom parts 56 or 57.
I connected my 2720 today to my autocom and nearly blew my eardrums with the volume level with no hum at all via the No 57
CoPilot

Yeah, its the 1/2 red, 1/2 black one, whatever part number that is.

I believe the problem is that the Quest has a fairly low volume level in general so when the grounded splitter is added it drops even more...
skellum
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titusni wrote:
tomthompson wrote:
CoPilot

Yeah, its the 1/2 red, 1/2 black one, whatever part number that is.

I believe the problem is that the Quest has a fairly low volume level in general so when the grounded splitter is added it drops even more...

I have mine connected to my Autocom system and have absolutely no interference (I did try to route the audio lead carefully but still close to electrics) - There is a volume control on the Quest unit to increase levels if necessary - It would go very loud if turned up (I guess so you can use ear plugs if necessary)
skellum
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonBroad wrote:
Thanks Enzo, the Ram Mount wizard was a real help. I'm down to 2 options:
1. central monting point on yoke or
2. brake master cylinder

does anyone have any experience of which might be the better place?

I used the following from www.gpscity.com

RAM 1" Ball Double 3.00" Standard Socket B size Arm P/N RAM-B-201U

RAM 1" Ball on Arm Bolt for side attachment P/N RAM-B-273U

RAM StreetPilot III Holder Bracket P/N RAM-B-202-G1U

in conjunction with the Garmin mount and power/audio lead

The ball fitting is on a replacement post/screw on my indicator bracket with the mount etc located on that. Hope this helps.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titusni wrote:

Did you know you can adjust it by holding down the speak button and you get a volume control slider on the screen which you move with the rocker pad.
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellum wrote:

I have mine connected to my Autocom system and have absolutely no interference (I did try to route the audio lead carefully but still close to electrics) - There is a volume control on the Quest unit to increase levels if necessary - It would go very loud if turned up (I guess so you can use ear plugs if necessary)

Yeah, I've got the volume turned up a lot on the Quest as I do wear earplugs - before I fitted the Part 56/57 (whichever the half red, half black one is) the volume level was fine. Since adding the extra "box" to sort the ground loop issues the volume has noticably dropped.

My trike is about to be rewired so I'll be able to move the Autocom further away from the coils and rectifier/regulator but the GPS audio lead will still have to pass the HT leads on the way to the handlebar mount. I'll see if that makes any difference.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked with autocom about the drop in volume when fitting the reb/black splitter it doesnt sound right that it should have that noticeable effect .
CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
titusni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Have you checked with autocom about the drop in volume when fitting the reb/black splitter it doesnt sound right that it should have that noticeable effect .
CoPilot

Yeah, quite a while ago - they said it was a side effect of the box doing the ground loop isolation...

BTW I see the new Autocom uints are now shown on their www site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: