Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 mounts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 mounts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: i3 mounts Reply with quote

this might be of interest to motorbike owners who want to mount their i3's on their handlebars etc... ebay ...bit expensive though...
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, stainless steel and the machining is a pain but they're built to last that way (I'm making 'em).

If there's enough interest in aluminium alloy ones or black plastic ones then I'll make them, and they'll be a bit cheaper... though I wouldn't recommend the plastic ones for motorbike, just bicycle. The aluminium alloy ones will look weathered if used/left on the bike in all weathers but should still do the job alright.

And anyone feel free to PM me on here if you're after one and I'll skip the postage costs that I've got on ebay!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that you should make a simple mount for cars from black Nylon66 - standard 17mm ball with a short stand-off (10mm say), drilled and tapped - so that it can be bolted through a dashboard panel or switch-blank.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
I reckon that you should make a simple mount for cars from black Nylon66 - standard 17mm ball with a short stand-off (10mm say), drilled and tapped - so that it can be bolted through a dashboard panel or switch-blank.

i agree , a small mount that can be attatched to a 'carphone' vent mount for instance would be nice..
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
Ash10 wrote:

i agree , a small mount that can be attatched to a 'carphone' vent mount for instance would be nice..

There is (well I will know for definate soon) such a mount. Mr_Gonzales has fabricated one for me to use with my Brodit vent mount. Once I receive it I'll post some pictures and write up some notes.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20vt-rs wrote:
zogman wrote:
Ash10 wrote:

There is (well I will know for definate soon) such a mount. Mr_Gonzales has fabricated one for me to use with my Brodit vent mount. Once I receive it I'll post some pictures and write up some notes.

Hopefully you should have it by tomorrow... anything is possible - if anyone wants anything made, give me the measurements of screw holes, etc. and I'll see what I can do. Plastic is much easier to use in a car... bikes I have paranoia about the thing moving about or falling off, then being pursued by angry people Laughing
yammy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

interested in the bike mount but how do you hear the voice guidance as there's no plug for speaker?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

yammy wrote:
interested in the bike mount but how do you hear the voice guidance as there's no plug for speaker?

you dont...unless as mentioned in another post you take the i3 apart and stick a headphone socket in....
20vt-rs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
Hopefully you should have it by tomorrow... anything is possible - if anyone wants anything made, give me the measurements of screw holes, etc. and I'll see what I can do. Plastic is much easier to use in a car... bikes I have paranoia about the thing moving about or falling off, then being pursued by angry people Laughing

The custom mount arrived in the week, stripped out my old Snooper S6 today and fitted the Garmin i3 to the new mount, which is fixed to the Brodit vent mount. To say I am impressed is an understatement! The quality of Mr_Gonzales mount is superb....

Definately recommended! :D
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Et Voila! 8)

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34805

www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks!
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also somethign a while back on here called a "car baby" that could be stuck on a speaker and it transmitted the noise on an FM frequency so you could hear it on a personal radio.

PocketGPS Forum Post Link

Anyone try it on an i3?

The speed camera warning on level 4 volume is audible at over 70mph on a windy day with earplugs in and the i3 in a freezer bag.

At lower speeds in town with no earplugs at level 5, it's still audible but not fantastic. But it gives text warnings and directions anyway which is what I use. I never trust just the audio instructions, anyway.
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to make a vent mount for the i3.

Unfortunately in my Saab, the windshield is not flat anywhere sensible. Also the dashboard curves and I have to place the suction mount low down behind the steering wheel. This is OK if the wheel is straight as I can look through it's holes but obviously doesn't work in any turn.

Can someone advise where I can buy a 17mm ball from? Is it a standard thing which I can then modify and fit to a vent mount from Carphonewarehouse etc?

Any input gratefully received..........................
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin have been a bit mean here - a 17mm ball is pretty hard to find, it's not standard and doesn't even have a similar imperial sized ball that can be used. I know someone who got a larger ball and used a dremel sander thing to make it smaller, but I've not heard of anyone who's found a 17mm ball that you can buy off the shelf to make something with. I'm making custom stuff and can make you a fitting with a 17mm ball on one end and whatever else you need on the other end... if anyone knows of anywhere to get 17mm balls off the shelf with some sort of fitting on them then there's a huge market out there.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a company called ''ram mounts'' make a 9/16'' size ball mount which i believe is equivilent to 17mm..they've named it an 'a' size ball and is available in the states but not over here yet...
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
a company called ''ram mounts'' make a 9/16'' size ball mount which i believe is equivilent to 17mm..they've named it an 'a' size ball and is available in the states but not over here yet...

9/16" is roughly 14.3mm Crying or Very sad

I've been through all my engineering catalogues and can't find 17mm balls anywhere...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: