Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oh Dear, Firmware flash problem!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Dear, Firmware flash problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Oh Dear, Firmware flash problem! Reply with quote

Just got my Micromaxx PPC150 and immediately bypassed the Medion satnav software and installed TT5 - like many others I have problems with TT5 picking up the GPS device despite ensuring it was set as "other cabled GPS" on com1 with 4800 baud setting.

After some reading here I tried Winfast Navigator and used the settings recommended by a few people (GGA 1 VTG 1 etc). Last night it had a few red sats, a few blue and a few green - Winfast reported as using 4 satellites. However, still didn't have any luck with TT5.

So, after reading this thread about "No blue sats on Mio 168" where a variety of other posters had tried a firmware update with the PPC150, I decided to give it a try too. I read the instructions and tried the flash using Com1 - however, that wouldn't work for some reason so I set it for Com2. It did the first stage of the flash ok and transferred something - but then on the 2nd stage where the status said something like transferring s-record (or s-"something", can't remember) it wasn't doing anything. At this point I closed the firmware program.

Well, the good news is that I still have control on the GPS - I can turn it on and off. I went into the medion utility and selected factory reset on the GPS. I'm running winfast navigator again (which is using the previously set port settings of: NMEA, Com1 & 4800 Baud) and I've managed to get 4 blue sats but no green as yet. The first oddity I've encountered is when I now go to Tools>Port Settings it now comes up with "Couldn't find value" - I have to click "OK" a few times before it lets me adjust any values.

At this point I don't know if I'm any better or worse off than before - is the fact I'm still getting blue sats a good sign? Is it possible to reflash with original firmware? Would appreciate any constructive advice Sad[/url]
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi goof
what firmware did you try to use.i beleive you should have stuck with com1
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Dear, Firmware flash problem! Reply with quote

goof wrote:
I read the instructions and tried the flash using Com1 - however, that wouldn't work for some reason so I set it for Com2. It did the first stage of the flash ok and transferred something - but then on the 2nd stage where the status said something like transferring s-record (or s-"something", can't remember) it wasn't doing anything. At this point I closed the firmware program.

It takes several minutes for the firmware to install, and yes nothing appears to happen for several minutes, that's why the ReadMe.txt file says

Quote:
it will start the update, you will see different messages as it
updates, BUT DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU SEE THE MESSAGE;

I would not use a product like WinFast for the Mio168's as it was never intended for these type of units.
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabut - it was the one in the other thread I linked to. Readme says:
Version: 2.4.12.09-XMitac-C4PROD2.00000003729*76

Pocketgps - Yes, I had read that and have flashed many items over the years but I had left this for several minutes and nothing was happening - there was nothing on the progress indicator.

Should I re-try the firmware update process? Or does the blue sats suggest it's working fine? What would I use instead of Winfast?
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not try it goof you got nothing to lose as it is still running after the first try.i know when i did mine it took 2 attempts before working and if you see in the readme you can go to another 1
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dabut - just tried again and it worked, must be 2nd time lucky 8O
I knew I'd read that about restoring the F/W, thought I'd read it on a webpage though, as opposed to the readme.

Just trying to reinitialise the GPS now - the GPS icon on the desktop is the same though, I thought other people had mentioned there was a new icon after the update and something about a GPS status bar Question
And TT5 still not finding the device! Rolling Eyes
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just let it run as it can take quite a while to lock on sats the first time.dont know about new icon but you will be able to see sat strenght now and glad it worked for ya well done
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, still not operational though Rolling Eyes

Got the sats showing as green/found on Winfast but TT5 still reported no GPS device (might also be worth mentioning that my GPS icon is still the same/I have no status bar).

So I thought I'd try the Medion software - however, that too is failing to find the GPS.

WTF? Laughing
bcwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goof wrote:
Got the sats showing as green/found on Winfast but TT5 still reported no GPS device (might also be worth mentioning that my GPS icon is still the same/I have no status bar).

goof,

Are you sure you're selecting the right port in TTN5?
It should be: Other Cable NMEA GPS > GPS baud rate 4800 > Serial Cable on SP2:

And then you should see the blue and yellow disc spinning next to the UTC.

Bri.
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bri,

In that case, no! My system utility reports the GPS as being on Com1 (and that's what most of things I'd read suggested using). Had tried that before update, but will try again, thanks.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goof wrote:
Hi Bri,

In that case, no! My system utility reports the GPS as being on Com1 (and that's what most of things I'd read suggested using). Had tried that before update, but will try again, thanks.

On my Medion 95000 (mio168 re-brand) the Medion Utility shows the GPS on COM1, but when you configure it for either the Medion, Navigon or TomTom software it must always be set as

Other Cable NMEA GPS
GPS baud rate 4800
Serial Cable on SP2:

just as Bri posted above.
alech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have closed down all other programmes that can access the GPS.

On my medion 100 I often find that another programme which uses the GPS has grabbed it and locked out the one i want to use. I have to close all other programmes manually.

Alec
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally got it going, thanks for all the help - it was "serial on SP2" that finally got it working. It still comes up with "no GPS device" initially but after a couple of minutes locks onto the sats regardless Smile
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that seems to be normal GOOF when you first switch on i get that with all my satnav running tt5 and glad it all working now
Baffled
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone please tell me in 'simple' terms what to do to get the blue bars to work.

TIA

Spikey

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: