Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Mobile and Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Mobile and Ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
When you buy maps you receive a Product code.

You can then install those maps on any device (PPC, Mobile, GO, Palm, etc)

On the first use of the map you get asked to activate it. (through ttcode.com)

This is where you lock the Product Code to the device ID.

Thanks, I understand now!
When I bought mine, I thought I was activating tomtom software, not the map.
scottcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Activating Maps Reply with quote

I was just about to order the Maps of Western Europe CD use with the TomTom Mobile 5 software that can be downloaded from their website when a work collegue told me that he tried to do exactly the same thing but it didn't work.

He ordered the Maps of Western Europe CD which now includes the Mobile 5 software and voices on the CD directly from TomTom but when he tried to activate it, the activation code that he got from the TomTom website would not work.

He contacted customer support and they claimed that he needed the original product code and when they found out that he didn't have it, they didn't want to know. Maybe it is the new Maps of Western Europe CD that has been changed to prevent this kind of thing.

I can't beleive that it is legal to force you to buy a duplicate GPS reciever, memory card and map just to get the other maps. No wonder so many people are using pirate versions.

Looks like it's Navicore 2006 for me, whenever it is released.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should ask why he didn't have the original product code?

If you have these, and all legitimate owners should, then there shouldn't be a problem.
scottcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Activating Software Reply with quote

He, like I, hasn't got any original software as it is only sold with a GPS reciever, a memory card that will not work fit more than one map on and a map that would be duplicated in the Maps of Western Europe CD. In an earlier post on this thread (see below), it was suggested that it was possible to legitimately buy only the software but it would appear that TomTom have closed this loophole. I don't agree with using pirate software at all but it is extremely annoying that I can't legally buy the software I need without unecessary extra's, especially as TomTom sell the Navigator software with the maps.

Eldar wrote:
gripp wrote:

So, if you have a fully working version of TTNav on your PDA , your maps and all POIs, voices, menus, map colours will work equally well on TT mobile on your SmartPhone - all you need is a copy of the TTM software which, as far as I can see, would only be available as a pirated version on eBay.

There is a simpler way of doing this - just download mobile "upgrade" from TT website - it's a full version and works with no problems at all. I have three customers who bought Nav 5 and simply copied the maps and everything else to a mini-SD or MMC card and added the s/w from TT website.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, You CAN buy just the software without the GPS etc. This is what I did, try this link http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=109&Section=242&Language=1 - and it shows you what is in the box, including the all important Product code on a plastic card - Mike
scottcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the product code in the Maps of Western Europe pack will not activate unless the device has previously been registered. Perhaps this is not the case with the earlier version of Maps of Europe for Navigator. I also tried to download a Plus city map with just the upgrade software installed and it wouldn't let me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registering the product in line with the supplied instructions was not a problem in way at all. Are you by chance refering to an upgrade pack rather than the full installation? - Mike
scottcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Activating Maps Reply with quote

I haven't seen the software itself so I can't say for sure but it was ordered from TomTom directly so I assume that it is the software here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessory.php?ID=171&Product=208&Category=&Context=1&Language=1

The only other version that I can see is the Navigator 5 - Software & Maps of Western Europe here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=109&Language=1

My collegue has tried various methods including installing version 5.2 from the TomTom website and then installing the maps but it will still not activate. Apparently TomTom customer support were no help at all.

I really want to buy this software legally but there is no way that I am paying for a GPS reciever that I don't need, a memory card that will not be big enough to install the maps I need and a duplicate map.

I am thinking of taking this up with trading standards as surly if Microsoft aren't allowed to force users to install Windows Media Player, then TomTom shouldn't be allowed to force customers to buy extra items that are not required.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link you supplied does state on the "whats in the box" tab that a poduct code card (item 3) is included so you should be OK, it also requires the device to have an internet connection "An Internet connection is required to activate this product " Is it possible your mate didn't have this set-up? - without the product code there is little that can be done, this diferentiates between the legal software and that obtained elsewhere, it should be retained in the box cover bottom LH as you open the CD case - Mike
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you also need to make sure the maps are for Mobile and not Navigator or Go?

Carl,
scottcooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Product Codes Reply with quote

Quote:
The link you supplied does state on the "whats in the box" tab that a poduct code card (item 3) is included so you should be OK, it also requires the device to have an internet connection "An Internet connection is required to activate this product " Is it possible your mate didn't have this set-up? - without the product code there is little that can be done, this diferentiates between the legal software and that obtained elsewhere, it should be retained in the box cover bottom LH as you open the CD case - Mike

Apparently the product code in the Maps of Western Europe CD will not activate a device unless the device has previously been activated with the original software and map.

My collegue tried both the automatic activation using a GPRS connection on his phone and manually by getting an activation code from ttcode.com. Neither of these would activate.

If you look on the following link, it states that in order to use additional maps you must own the TomTom software and at least one map.

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=10&Language=1

I spoke to TomTom customer support yesterday and they said that the software and maps of western europe will be available for mobile phones soon at a cost of €199, although he didn't know when.
MARViN2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are the same for mobile, navigator and GO etc.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are the same, It's just the activation code thats different?

Carl,
bigyun2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
A bit confused after reading all the threads here.

I have a TOMTOM Go 300 with TT NAV 5.
Got Nokia N70 and want to use TT Mobile.

Can i just download the 5.2 upgrade (i don't have any TT mobile software on my MMC card at all)
Then copy over my map and use the activation code i got with my TT Go & Nav 5?

Thanks

TOM TOM GO 530
Version 9.510 (2039, 4/4/2013) | OS: 842337 | MAP v910.4892 | iPad Mini | iPhone 5 |
bigyun2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.
I think i done it. I would appreciate confirmation please.

Put MMC card in Card Reader. Formatted card.

D/loaded TTM 5.2 upgrade.

Installed to MMC card
(only gave me tomtom folder i guess system folder is hidden) nothing else on card.

Copied my UK map over to MMC
Copied licenses folder to MMC
Copied Voices folder (from a TTM so not my NAV 5 voices)

Then used my Activation as normal.

Can't test it yet as still waiting for my GPS receiver.
Any comments please.

Thanks

TOM TOM GO 530
Version 9.510 (2039, 4/4/2013) | OS: 842337 | MAP v910.4892 | iPad Mini | iPhone 5 |

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: