Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Taking my Quest to Portugal - airports and voltage
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking my Quest to Portugal - airports and voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Taking my Quest to Portugal - airports and voltage Reply with quote

I'm thinking of visiting Portugal soon and naturally I'd want to take my Quest along.

Do airlines normally allow us to carry our Quests in our hand luggage? I'd be flying from Manchester airport with Portugalia, probably. I'd rather not risk it being in the hold luggage incase they lose it. I emailed Portugalia to ask them but they haven't replied, and possibly never will.

Do rental cars in Portugal have 12V lighter/accessory sockets?

What mains voltage and plug style do they use? Is the quests charger compatible or would I need an adaptor other than the two round pin thing it comes with?
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken my Quest on planes before and even used it to track our location without problems.

I've even been to the Algarve in Portugal and used it in a rental car, socket worked.

Since I'm dutch, I could use the same plug as at home for 230v, but that's the 2 round pin thingy. No UK style plug thus.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks! :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can charge the Quest using Garmin's charger and an adaptor plug (UK-> Europe) which you can buy in the airport.

You can certainly take the Quest on the plane, no problems.

You can also use it on the plane to track your position (get a good fix outside the airport before you checkin or it takes quite a while to lockon from inside the plane). Most airlines allow this during cruise although some people think that using a GPS in a plane is quite controversial so it's up to you. See my posts in This thread.
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. It hadn't actually occurred to me to turn it on, I was just hoping they'd let me keep it with me so it won't get lost.

Given the horrified responses Skippy got about using it during take-off, I think I'll just keep mine in my bag and claim it's a Soduko game, if anyone asks Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: