Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nilsy-345641
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had all the problems described with freezes every 5 or 7 minutes (seemingly at random). I was using Nokia N70, tomtom mobile 5 and the bt 338 bluetooth gps.

After installing tomtom 5.2 and removing all POI and all voices but one it is now FINALLY working perfectly. I've been testing and driving around for about 2,5 hours without a single freeze. The GPS is being found within less than 20 seconds every time. I let tomtom identify my GPS rather than the regular BT connection. Thanks for all you tips guys!!
danmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Works for me Reply with quote

danmax wrote:
I have vers 5.2 installed on my card and it works a treat. sometimes I have to reboot phone to get a gps signal but after that it will work all day long if required.

I bought myself a 512 mmc card and wouldn't you believe it the wife bought me one for christmas.

I am prepared to sell my spare card with a working version of the latest 5.2 on it. also installed are the latest updates for speed cameras etc, and celeb voices (a bit naff in my opinion but fun for 2 mins or so)

anyone interested mail me at danmax@canihave.co.uk

I am using the N70 with a non tomtom gps receiver (from ebay)

phone firmware is
v 3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

P.S

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

The card is now sold

Thanks for all the the interest
LetsTalk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nilsy-345641 wrote:
I also had all the problems described with freezes every 5 or 7 minutes (seemingly at random). I was using Nokia N70, tomtom mobile 5 and the bt 338 bluetooth gps.

After installing tomtom 5.2 and removing all POI and all voices but one it is now FINALLY working perfectly. I've been testing and driving around for about 2,5 hours without a single freeze. The GPS is being found within less than 20 seconds every time. I let tomtom identify my GPS rather than the regular BT connection. Thanks for all you tips guys!!

Are you able to use the speed camera as POI on your N70? Which voice do you use??
danmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use speed cams as poi i have used various voices including the celeb voices although I have stuck with Tim
sixpenny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: nokia n70 anf tomtom 5 Reply with quote

Hi.....have recently upgraded from a nokia 6600 to N70, using tomtom 5. My N70 is connected to vodafone. The only problem I have encountered is that sometimes the N70 & GPS receiver do not 'pair' when tomtom is first started up. I have got around this problem by going to change prefs, then gps status. They then 'pair' within a few seconds. (Do not press configure button).
I have done several journey's over 2 hrs & have numerous POI's loaded / active, includung speed camera db. I also have tomtom traffic running on most occassions. So far so good.
Tomtom & all other s/w is loaded on a 1gb dv rsmmc. The N70 memory is kept as empty as possible.
TheMiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: N70 and TomTom Now Working Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to all this so if it's in the wrong post then I appologise.

I have been following these posts for a few months, being an N70 and TOMTOM owner. I have encountered all the problems that have been posted. I've got TOMTOM's origional BT unit, I've tried the "let tomtom do the pairing", upgrade to 5.2 (selecting N90) and none of it worked!!
In frustration I took my N70 to Nokia who said that a lot of units had bluetooth problems. They upgraded my firmware to v3.0546.2.3 and removed my Vodafone branding in the process, so I can use my works sim card (another network) in the phone also. Now TOMTOM is working fine. I can keep all my POI's on and still not a problem. It still has a few minor bugs, but hey, at least I don't have to pull over and reset my phone every 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: N70 and TomTom Now Working Reply with quote

TheMiller wrote:
They upgraded my firmware to v3.0546.2.3 and removed my Vodafone branding in the process, so I can use my works sim card (another network) in the phone also.

Loading generic firmware does not remove the operator lock, That's a seperate process,

Carl,
LetsTalk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else tried upgrading there firmware on there N70??? If so, have they experienced anymore problems, like freezing. Does it cost to have the firmware upgraded?? I've only had my N70 for less than 1 month.

I have even re-formatted my rsmmc card and re-installing TomTom and still TomTom freezes. Are there any other suggestion people might have??? I only have 1 voice enabled and speed camera enabled!! I have tried disabling them both but with no joy!!!

Would appreciate any1's help!!!!!!!

Thanx
danmax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a full uk postcode search on tomtom mobile 5. I got the update from tomtom website but can only use the 1st 3 digits in navigate to/postcode

Thanks in advance
TheMiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is my N70 now accepts any network sim. It costs nothing to get your firmware upgraded. Join CLUB NOKIA and tell them you have problems. They'll give you your nearest service center (DON'T USE CARPHHONE WAREHOUSE). I've had a lot less problems since the upgrade. It's not perfect, but a lot better.
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LetsTalk wrote:
Has anyone else tried upgrading there firmware on there N70??? If so, have they experienced anymore problems, like freezing. Does it cost to have the firmware upgraded?? I've only had my N70 for less than 1 month

I have just changed from a Nokia 3230 to the Nokia N70. The firmware version is:
V 3.0546.2.3
18-11-05
RM-84

I have the exact same problems with TomTom v5.20. I haven't tried v5 yet as I updated before changing phones. I will try the non-pairing option and see how that goes, but it is frustrating. I use a Rikaline GPS receiver and never had any problems with the 3230.

Something else I notice is that on the 3230 if I just close the app by pressing the callend key when I go back in it is still running, but on the N70 it appears to close the application completely. I will look into this as it might be a setting or something. Still new to the N70.

I have POI's and use the standard Jane voice. I can't see it be these causing the problem, it definately appears to be a bluetooth issue.

something I did notice when I went in to delete the pairing of the Rikaline GPS is that it was there but the word Rikaline wasn't. Now I have connected it via TomTom it has put it back in the pairing but now has Rikaline there. Very bizarre. However, this is only due to turning on TomTom after the GPS was already on. It then asked for a Passcode whereas if I turn on GPS after TomTom it doesn't ask. Then if I leave GPS on but exit TomTom and go straight back in it then asks for passcode and adds to the Paired list.

It definately looks like a Bluetooth issue. With the 3230 I use to use a headset at the same time, but with the N70 when I turn on the headset it disconnects the GPS connection, what a load of crap......it is possible that it is TomTom related but I can't see us get an update for a long time if ever unless more phones are affected.
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes sorry for the duplicate post, my connection went down but I don't appear to have an option to delete the extra post??
TheMiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Penfold,

It seems to me that it is a bluetooth problem. I am now on my 3rd N70 with the same firmware as you, but my phone is working fine with TOMTOM. I've had all the same problems with the previous phones. My only problem now is I can't send files larger than 40kb (this is not a network issue). Contact CLUB NOKIA!!
It's free and eventually you will get TOMTOM working again.
fuctifino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi .. interesting reading all this .. i'm gutted cos I just sacked a 6680 which also had a dodgy tomtom issue ( had to go through the find GPS within TT) hoping that my spanking new N70 would fly !

There is a lot of speak about the BT338 and BT77 . I have neither and sadly suffer the same issue( socket BTGPS 22a43b) . I see that this thread was started in Nov!! and still no fix .. i guess from this that there probably never will be unless some serious moaning to TT happens ( but then again they are whiter than white and its a phone problem not THIER sw!!)

The problem is definitely an interface issue between the nokia SW and TT.

I think as suggested before a memory or buffer problem.

If you are suffering a problem get everything up and running but instead of the map ,take a look at the GPS status ... my experience is that certain channels appear to drop out (go from blue to grey ) even though the signal strength is high( above the little line 85% the way up the strength bar). Here i am guessing that the information coming in cannot be processed by either TT or N70 leading to a buffer overrun which either TT or N70 cannot handle

It might be worth pointing out that there are only 3 nokias with V8.0 symbian ( 6630 ,6680 N70) as i said in the first line of this post ... that has problems too!!

Also i read about when installing TT use the N90 to load it .. the N90 is V8.1 symbian .. i wonder why ?!?!?!?

At the time of writing this i have deleted pairings and let TT take over .. so far so good ( 15 minutes !!! wooohoooo)
fuctifino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too goo to be true .. 21 mins it died .. back to the trusty 7610 it is for now

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 4 of 25

Jump to: